Baylor University Coming To Downtown Houston

cloud713

From the article:

"Fifteen Houston-based students, one Houston-based faculty member and two administrative employees will house the Houston office."

Sounds like maybe a couple hundred to a thousand square feet of leased office space to me.  Nothing more.  Not like they're going to build a new tower for thousands of students.

From the article:

"Fifteen Houston-based students, one Houston-based faculty member and two administrative employees will house the Houston office."

Sounds like maybe a couple hundred to a thousand square feet of leased office space to me. Nothing more. Not like they're going to build a new tower for thousands of students.

True. It obviously wouldn't be a tower.. But maybe eventually theyll need their own midrise, if the program expands.

That's the impression I got from the article.. So they'll likely just rent out space in a downtown tower for the time being?

Probably.  And that might be the permanent solution as well if they want to remain downtown.  Later on, far down the road, they might buy or build a new tower so they can put their name on it and then lease out the unused portion to cover costs.

Probably. And that might be the permanent solution as well if they want to remain downtown. Later on, far down the road, they might buy or build a new tower so they can put their name on it and then lease out the unused portion to cover costs.

That would be interesting.. Baylor getting into the real estate game. Heh. I would be happy with just a downtown hspva sized building with their name on it.

From the article:

Sounds like maybe a couple hundred to a thousand square feet of leased office space to me.  Nothing more.  Not like they're going to build a new tower for thousands of students.

I agree with you. I honestly was just reacting to the idea of Baylor coming into town. Didn't read the article. Just did and noticed this. If the program is that small (which most masters programs are) then I imagine they will just lease space in an office building. It takes years to accumulate students into a program especially when they are trying to break into an already competitive University field here in Houston. If they ever do start thinking about a building then we probably won't see one for a few years or even this decade.

I don't understand the point of the distance MBA programs

To get your MBA without having to travel to another city?

To get your MBA at nights and on weekends so you don't have to quit your job?

Because many employers will reimburse you for higher education you pursue, particularly when useful to the employer?

To be able to pay your way instead of having to take out loans and be a full-time student?

To be able to carry on with your life without having to take a couple years off and go back to school full-time?

To be able to stay where you are and not have to sell your house and uproot your children so you can move to where the main college is?

Should I go on?

To get your MBA without having to travel to another city?

To get your MBA at nights and on weekends so you don't have to quit your job?

Because many employers will reimburse you for higher education you pursue, particularly when useful to the employer?

To be able to pay your way instead of having to take out loans and be a full-time student?

To be able to carry on with your life without having to take a couple years off and go back to school full-time?

To be able to stay where you are and not have to sell your house and uproot your children so you can move to where the main college is?

Should I go on?

From my observations they don't have the same prestige as a normal MBA and they're not exactly cheap. My friend is doing the UT one for $95,000

From my observations they don't have the same prestige as a normal MBA and they're not exactly cheap. My friend is doing the UT one for $95,000

its Baylor.. it has plenty of prestige. being in downtown Houston offers an attractive location for students and a great location to excel after school. the article highlighted the need for social workers in Houston.

From my observations they don't have the same prestige as a normal MBA and they're not exactly cheap. My friend is doing the UT one for $95

Perhaps you should ask your friend why he attends that program so you will then know what the point of them is?

I am a graduate of the Graduate School of Social Work at UH. Welcome to town, BU. There is certainly a need for another social work program in the area. 

As for location, I would highly doubt it would be located in a highrise office tower. The costs would be too high and I doubt social work students would enjoy paying for parking anywhere downtown! My thinking would be Midtown along the rail to provide easy access to downtown, the med center, and the tons of social service organizations located in Midtown itself. If BU's program is anything like UH's and UT's, those 15 students will spend as much time at field placement sites as they will the school itself. During my two years at UH, I spent time at Communities in School (Davis High), SEARCH (midtown), and HATCH (a church in Montrose) and was only on campus two days a week by year two of the program.

I know UHD prefers to maintain its Independence, but since the Central campus have been pushing for UHD to change its name I have been thinking of the effect of Merging with another school. Like converting it into a Houston campus for Baylor, A&M or UT.

In the end I figured it wouldn't work based on entry requirements.

I know UHD prefers to maintain its Independence, but since the Central campus have been pushing for UHD to change its name I have been thinking of the effect of Merging with another school. Like converting it into a Houston campus for Baylor, A&M or UT.

In the end I figured it wouldn't work based on entry requirements.

A&m has a presence in Houston with the mays business school at citycentre. UT has plans for a few thousand petroleum engineers(?) at a new Houston branch, so Baylor would really be the only one without a large Houston presence. I don't think they would need all of the UHD complex though.

J1dUS2.png

Sorry cloud had to do this >.>

Nothing personal :P I do this out of love!

If anyone saw my last critique I'm sure y'all get where I'm going with this lol.

It essentially is MS Paint for a cell phone. It was scribbled out on a 4" screen (no, I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 6 yet, lol), on an app called iDraw.. Considering I did that in about 5 minutes on a cell phone I was pretty happy, and thought the concept was better than the majority of the buildings going up in the energy corridor.. Lol.

For some reason it wouldn't let me just tap the screen to get dots, I had to move my finger around a bit. It's a pretty ghetto app. Lmao.

But no.. I'm not sure I saw your last critique?

UH Downtown isn't leaving the UH System to hook up with Baylor; a private, religiously-based University. The two campuses couldn't be more polar opposite in their missions.

Never said they were leaving. Said with all the talk of a name change I was thinking of the effect of them merging with an external make university that lacks a full university campus here

Archived