Can the Boom Continue?

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

This sounds suboptimal:

The crash in oil prices is hammering the Texas economy. 

The latest manufacturing outlook index from the Dallas Fed plunged again in March, to -17.4 from -11.2 in February, indicating deteriorating business conditions in the state.

Expectations were for the index to show a reading of -9.

But the most important part of this report is the commentary from Texas business leaders, who have given an on-the-ground picture of how the decline in oil prices is affecting one of the country's economies most driven by oil. In March the tune didn't change, as it sounds as if things are still tough in Texas. 

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/dallas-fed-manufacturing-report-march-30-2015-3#ixzz3VyceeK8k

I know no one will like me saying this but we may be hit by a double whammy. Forget the Texas economy, there are signs in the U.S. economy of a slight slowdown as seen in the trade markets, construction, and consumer spending as well. Also, with the potential of Iran coming back online in the oil market, we may see a further decrease in the price of oil. 

I know no one will like me saying this but we may be hit by a double whammy. Forget the Texas economy, there are signs in the U.S. economy of a slight slowdown as seen in the trade markets, construction, and consumer spending as well. Also, with the potential of Iran coming back online in the oil market, we may see a further decrease in the price of oil.

Yep.

Folks, there is a full-on conflagration in the Middle East right now and oil hasn't moved. A decade ago, oil would have surged on the uncertainty. The fact that it really hasn't moved much should make you shiver.

Times, they are a'changing'

While cheap oil may not be good for those in that sector of the economy, how many folks really want to see gas at +$4 a gallon? Cheap oil is great for the auto industry. Drive baby, drive. Cheap oil is great for the housing industry... and retail... and discretionary incomes in general.

Watch what you wish for when you hope for higher oil prices...

While cheap oil may not be good for those in that sector of the economy, how many folks really want to see gas at +$4 a gallon? Cheap oil is great for the auto industry. Drive baby, drive. Cheap oil is great for the housing industry... and retail... and discretionary incomes in general.

Watch what you wish for when you hope for higher oil prices...

Agreed.

And that was Triton's point. The U.S. economy is showing signs of slowing DESPITE having oils prices less than half of a year ago. That is the double whammy he is speaking of.

isn't most of the slowdown thanks to the dollar being as strong as it is (and has been)?

not only are imported good cheaper in America, but American goods are more expensive overseas as well. 

and then the cold weather was supposed to have been a reason for a slower 1st quarter in general.

The most important quote from that article is the last one:

Rent concessions likely won't have a major impact on Houston's multifamily market, Epstein said. Apartment rents have skyrocketed so much over the past few years that even with the concessions, rents are still higher than what developers and property managers were expecting three or four years ago, he said.

What's the jist of the interview?

1) it's bad.... Numbers are being revised toward the negative

2) it's going to get worse.... We won't know the full extent until the summer.

3) it won't be as bad as the 80's

4) it will be somewhere "in between" the 80's and the Great Recession (he may have misspoken here? Or did I hear it wrong?)

5) we did not over build office space or residential units like we did in the 80's

6) when oil hit $100 people started questioning when it would slide. In the 80's we thought the increases would last forever.

7) the banking system now has interstate banking unlike the 80's .... So, while there are likely bad loans to the old patch, they won't be concentrated in "Texas only" (my words, not his) banks. We have big banks in here now.

I think that was about the gist. Did I miss anything?

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: I probably said too much again.

The subject of my post was that some of the jobs that are going away in this bust may never come back. I put a little too much detail into it. Suffice it to say that the management of my company is saying that some energy industry jobs that will come back but they will be in China instead of Houston.

1) it's bad.... Numbers are being revised toward the negative

2) it's going to get worse.... We won't know the full extent until the summer.

3) it won't be as bad as the 80's

4) it will be somewhere "in between" the 80's and the Great Recession (he may have misspoken here? Or did I hear it wrong?)

5) we did not over build office space or residential units like we did in the 80's

6) when oil hit $100 people started questioning when it would slide. In the 80's we thought the increases would last forever.

7) the banking system now has interstate banking unlike the 80's .... So, while there are likely bad loans to the old patch, they won't be concentrated in "Texas only" (my words, not his) banks. We have big banks in here now.

I think that was about the gist. Did I miss anything?

He also said that while they expect the energy sector to lose more jobs, they still expect overall employment growth in Houston.

And, not only have we not overbuilt housing, housing is still in short supply... only a 2 1/2 month supply on the market.

In related news, today's Wall Street Journal has an article about Houston's Housing Market Holding Up.

Edit: I probably said too much again.

The subject of my post was that some of the jobs that are going away in this bust may never come back. I put a little too much detail into it. Suffice it to say that the management of my company is saying that some energy industry jobs that will come back but they will be in China instead of Houston.

Energy jobs going to China - this could cover a wide spectrum under "energy" but I would guess these are commodity type manufacturing focus or did I miss something? I doubt Exxon and Shell are moving upstream jobs to China.

These are high paying engineering jobs. In the $150k to $300k range.

It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition. Teams of engineers can be anywhere given the global scope of many of these energy companies. Has there already been a long term trend in the oil business to offshore engineering? If so, I can see that this "bust" might accelerate that trend.

It may be defying all conventional wisdom, but WTI oil is over $60 a barrel this morning. At this rate, half the E&P companies in town are going to regret all those layoffs they made at the beginning of the year when November rolls around.

south-park-s14e11c05-god-bless-you-capta

This is purely the power of hindsight :P

I'm sure if we had this power before many wouldn't have had paid $100 for a boxing fight lol Meanwhile they would then make sure not to do layoffs.

They did whatever they thought was right for their company to survive at the time and the thing about layoffs is that if everything is going good again then you bring them back on. Could they have been a little more confident in the future...maybe but remember this was when the prevailing theory was that they sky was failing and that $35 a barrel oil was a certainty.

Archived