Schlitterbahn Water Park At 2109 Gene Lucas Blvd.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They said the new water park in Galveston will be the biggest in Texas, and the first retractable roof water park in the nation.

When the water park open in G-town. Galveston will expolde!

They actually claim that it will be the most advanced, not the biggest. It sure would be great to see folks on the island who haven't been for years. Its going to be nice!!

• 1 month later...

AstroWorld is a skanky rat-infested hell-hole. Moms in suburban Houston are crying out for ANY sort of alternative. SplashTown ain't half bad. WaterWorld (inside AstroWorld) is actually one of the high points of AstroWorld for me, even though it's pretty small.

Schlitterbahn Galveston had better offer something a lot more compelling than what SplashTown currently offers, or it's hardly going to make a dent in the tourism/entertainment scene in the region. It's not a good sign that Schlitterbahn Galveston is going to be smaller than SplashTown. I was expecting SplashTown to close its doors when Galveston Schlitterbahn opened. Now I'm starting to wonder if Galveston Schlitterbahn will be the 800-pound gorilla that it was supposed to be.

If nothing else, Schlitterbahn Galveston can complement Moody Gardens and the other offerings of Galveston in such a way that more people head to the island. Put it this way: a brand new major theme park in Galveston, even a small one, ain't gonna hurt!

Galveston needs to be a "must" trip at least once a month during the summer for every suburban Houston family. Right now, a lot of families don't even make it down there once per summer. For crying out loud, it's an hour away - and it has a beach most cities would kill for! There's absolutely no reason why Galveston shouldn't be THE place to be in the greater Houston area.

Why do you focus so much on suburban households? But I think a problem galveston has is that there is a stigma of it being dirty and crime filled. Many people won't go because of this even though in many instances this is not true.

Just wondering is anyone planning on going opening day?

AstroWorld is a skanky rat-infested hell-hole.  Moms in suburban Houston are crying out for ANY sort of alternative.  SplashTown ain't half bad.  WaterWorld (inside AstroWorld) is actually one of the high points of AstroWorld for me, even though it's pretty small.

Schlitterbahn Galveston had better offer something a lot more compelling than what SplashTown currently offers, or it's hardly going to make a dent in the tourism/entertainment scene in the region.  It's not a good sign that Schlitterbahn Galveston is going to be smaller than SplashTown.  I was expecting SplashTown to close its doors when Galveston Schlitterbahn opened.  Now I'm starting to wonder if Galveston Schlitterbahn will be the 800-pound gorilla that it was supposed to be.

If nothing else, Schlitterbahn Galveston can complement Moody Gardens and the other offerings of Galveston in such a way that more people head to the island.  Put it this way: a brand new major theme park in Galveston, even a small one, ain't gonna hurt!

Galveston needs to be a "must" trip at least once a month during the summer for every suburban Houston family.  Right now, a lot of families don't even make it down there once per summer.  For crying out loud, it's an hour away - and it has a beach most cities would kill for!  There's absolutely no reason why Galveston shouldn't be THE place to be in the greater Houston area.

Its funny you mention a theme park, because word on the street here on the island (take it for what its worth) is that Fertitta has some sort of theme park in the works for the old Seahorse Inn site on Seawall Blvd, (not to be confused with the Flagship Hotel "carnival pier"). The demolition of the old hotel began last month.

3402 SEAWALL BLVD

(This photo only shows about half of what used to be the hotel)

seahorse8wg.jpg

Please, don't put much stock into the rumor. I didn't hear this from any inside sources, though it was more than a few people talking about it when I went home for the July 4th weekend. You never know though, Fertitta is the new owner of the property, and whatever goes up is going to be BIG

Damnit, I hate that everytime I read the title it reads "annouces" instead of announces.

"Schlitterbahn Galveston had better offer something a lot more compelling than what SplashTown currently offers, or it's hardly going to make a dent in the tourism/entertainment scene in the region. It's not a good sign that Schlitterbahn Galveston is going to be smaller than SplashTown. I was expecting SplashTown to close its doors when Galveston Schlitterbahn opened. Now I'm starting to wonder if Galveston Schlitterbahn will be the 800-pound gorilla that it was supposed to be.

"

But SplashTown is located in northern Harris County while Schlitterbahn Galveston is in Galveston - In some ways, they serve different markets as people oftentimes like to go to the closest water park.

Galveston Schlitterbahn will be 26 acres, like South Padre Schlitterbahn.

But there is one important difference that no one has touched one....

As stated in Schlitterbahn's press release announcing the addition of Galveston to its family of water parks....

The 26-acre Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark on South Padre Island opened in 2001 and features more than a dozen family attractions
Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark will also have a covered section that will allow part of the park to remain open year-round.

I think what is also going to assist in Schlitterbahn's attendance numbers is the fact that Galveston is on the move. She isn't the same "one trick pony" she used to be. The Strand is adding retail by the week. Folks who now come for cruises will hopefully stay in the city's hotels and check out Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, the beach and whatever else Fertitta can dream up. I believe that in the next 2 or 3 years if some folks don't come because of Galveston's old stigma, it will truly be their loss. I'm going to go so far as to say that the "Eww Galveston?!" response folks used to give is a thing of the past.

...the future is bright for this theme park, if the people come that is.

People will definitely come and check things out. And word will spread, if it's a good experience. There are only 2 other theme parks in the whole Houston area, AstroWorld and SplashTown, and the former is seen only as a necessary evil. :) The Strand is on the way up, but I think it still has a handful of years to go before it looks really first-rate...(unless the pace of growth increases exponentially). Seawall Boulevard is also on the way up, but I think it also has at least 5 years until enough of the crud is cleaned up to make it look first-rate. Galveston just has too much going for it to stay down forever. This long-awaited infusion of new development should make it rise to great heights once again. Houston just keeps growing and growing, and there's nothing else around to really compete with Galveston. Once the property values in Galveston start getting out of control, that's when the crime will vanish, and that's when the tourism will really explode. I predict that, in about 10 years from now, if things keep headed the way they're headed, Galveston will be a major tourist force in Texas once again. If you have money to invest, invest it in property in Galveston now!

• 1 month later...
People have been saying that Astroworld is closing because of this. I don't see how, this is a water park, not a rollercoaster park.

They're both great to have, but personally, I think a theme park would have more appeal to the general public. I would think a theme park would be more accessible to handicapped people. A lot of elderly people like theme parks as well. To me, an ideal theme park isn't just about rides and roller coasters, but shows, games, concerts and even people walking around in character costumes. Much like how Astroworld used to be. I love that whole package that the waterparks lack.

• 5 weeks later...

Schlitterbahn did not buy Landa Resort. The Henry family started Landa Resort, and the sons started the Schlitterbahn.

We used to see the Herny sons testing tarps with water hoses on the hills back when it was only Landa Resort.

We stayed at Landa every year from the 1970s to the early 80s. The dangerous slide, the swing roap, the river filled pool, the game room! Now THAT was a classic.

They will add on.

Schlitterbahn did not buy Landa Resort. The Henry family started Landa Resort, and the sons started the Schlitterbahn.

We used to see the Herny sons testing tarps with water hoses on the hills back when it was only Landa Resort.

We stayed at Landa every year from the 1970s to the early 80s. The dangerous slide, the swing roap, the river filled pool, the game room! Now THAT was a classic.

They will add on.

We used to stay at Landa also back in the 70's and 80's. Coog, I wasn't aware they were one in the same all these years. I remember the first year they opened that slide closer to Landa. You could go down on your belly or your back. Well, if a bikini wearing young lady happen to go on her stomach, it was a good bet that she was gonna lose that top ! My Uncle Jerry, spent a whole week just hanging out by the slide, it was hilarious. He would go down it every now and then to try and act like that's why he was there. We all knew better. :lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

from schlitterbahn.com

"The newest member of the Schlitterbahn family is on track to open this summer next to Moody Gardens. We are busy finishing the indoor section of the park that we will open this winter, however it will not be open by December 10 as we had originally projected.

We think you will agree that our new Schlitterbahn is worth the wait! It is the first convertible waterpark with closeable sections for indoor/outdoor, year-round fun. The 70,000-square-foot indoor Wasserfest section includes three speed slides, a 20-foot-wide, circular Torrent River®, with large beach, four tube slides, a children’s activity pool and 1,100-square-foot Hot Tub. As soon as the opening date is finalized, it will be announced here first!"

Archived