Richmond has now gone into a coma.

No one wants to take responsibility for its future. It's like a hot potato.

I'm sure the city hopes that somehow Metro will finally get the go ahead on Richmond, and are hesitant to rebuild it yet. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, bobruss said:

I'm sure the city hopes that somehow Metro will finally get the go ahead on Richmond, and are hesitant to rebuild it yet. 

I think if anything there will be talks about BRT along Richmond. Once the BRT in Uptown is finished, the discussion will shift to how to connect it to the rest of the system. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bobruss said:

I don't like to be spiteful, but I sincerely hope that Richmond, specifically between 610 and the railroad tracks (afton oaks), never gets rebuilt.

Honestly, it shouldn't be rebuilt, it would be too much of a burden on the neighborhood.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I take it this is sarcasm. There no love lost for Afton Oaks. They're big fear was criminals riding the rail stealing things and then making a get away on the train. Never mind all of the buses that go down Richmond. 

The rest of Montrose and galleria need Richmond and in its current state it is like driving in a third world country.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I can't believe Richmond Ave fell in to the game of politics. I live right on Richmond and 2 blocks away from the Wheeler TC. I can only imagine how convenient it would have been to hop on the train on Richmond. 

Blame Afton Oaks. They were militant.  We could have had monorail in the '80s.  Above grade no less.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, bobruss said:

This may be nothing but I had a storage unit at Extra Space Storage in the strip center next to railroad tracks on Richmond and we got a notice right after Christmas that all occupants of this storage had to vacate by Jan. 31, which I did.  I asked manager what was going on and he said the owner is selling the building and said all other tenants were given notice as well.  He said he didnt have any details as to why and who the owner sold to but think the land will be developed.  This is a few blocks from Weslayan on Richmond.  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, Dakota79 said:

Blame Afton Oaks. They were militant.  We could have had monorail in the '80s.  Above grade no less.

No, there was never any chance of monorail in the 80's. None.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:38 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

The way they acted makes me wonder why the hell they live in a city. 

Because they like the neighborhood, and it's convenient for work. They were anti rail because it would make access to their homes nearly impossible in some cases. Much like the way the rail has screwed up the Northside, where you have to go 20 blocks out of the way to get to your destination, because there's not enough rail crossings

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/06/20/photos-luxe-condo-redevelopment-in-river-oaks-now.html

Slideshow: https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/06/20/photos-luxe-condo-redevelopment-in-river-oaks-now.html#g/436905/1

While the new 19-story luxury condo The River Oaks boasts a massage room, outdoor kitchen, library, sitting room, terraced gardens and yoga studio, it may be the first-floor mailroom that developer Richard Leibovitch likes the most.

Instead of a typical corridor with rows of resident mailboxes, the mailroom at the newly opened condo features plush seating, natural light and views of the manicured outdoor space, making the everyday task more of an experience, he said.

The River Oaks, a redevelopment project by New York-based Arel Capital to convert the former 1960s-era River Oaks Luxury Apartments into a luxury condo building, opened June 20. Leibovitch, managing partner at Arel Capital, said total costs for the project exceeded $120 million and exceeded initial estimates by 15 to 20 percent. Bank of the Ozarks provided a partial construction loan while mezzanine financing came through a private hedge fund. Arel Capital put in more than $40 million in equity.

The units are priced between $1.8 million and $7.5 million for the top floor 6,200-square-foot penthouses. Homeowner association fees come out to 75 cents per square foot.

The New York-based real estate investment and development firm spent six months gutting the iconic, Miesian-style building designed by Houston architect Cameron Fairchild.

The 79-residence building at 3433 Westheimer has 18 units left, said Jacob Sudhoff, CEO of Sudhoff Properties, who marketed the condo project. While he said the decision to renovate the mid-century modern building wasn't faster than tearing down and building a new structure, it gave the project “a sense of history.”

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 10:09 AM, rechlin said:

JVlPg9Dl.jpg

I liked it better before. Don't expect or need anyone else to agree. Same part of me that likes seeing a 60's Porsche putter by with a couple dings and dull chrome more than the latest 911 Turbo that just rolled out of the showroom.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/High-rise-developer-and-builder-face-off-in-legal-13121076.php

A general contractor from Houston and a New York developer are suing each other over construction of a luxury high-rise in the River Oaks area.

GT Leach Constructors filed a $5 million lawsuit in state district court late last week against Arel Capital, developer of The River Oaks, a condominium tower rebuilt from the shell of a midcentury apartment building at 3433 Westheimer.

The suit alleges that Arel failed to pay GT Leach and and subcontractors for their work on the project. The original contract stated that GT Leach was to be paid $60 million, according to the suit. After the lawsuit was filed, Arel filed its own suit against GT Leach in federal court alleging that the contractor and its subcontractors failed to perform under the contract and caused project delays.

Richard Leibovitch, managing partner of Arel, recently hosted a tour of the building for local media where he said about 85 percent of the 79 units have sold and closed or are under contract.

Prices at the new tower start at $1.8 million and top out at $7.5 million for one of the 6,200-square-foot penthouse units, which have 14-foot ceilings and 1,700-square-foot terraces.

GT Leach said in a statement that it and its subcontractors have worked for years in the Houston construction market and been involved in the Rice Hotel, downtown's J.W. Marriott, and the Astoria and Arabella condominium buildings in the Galleria area.

"It was unfortunate that negotiations to pay GT Leach and the subcontractors for their work were unsuccessful," the company said in a statement.

Arel declined to comment.

Edited by ekdrm2d1

• 4 weeks later...

In Texas, contractors have very strong lien rights if they have a direct relationship with the property owner and the property is not homestead.  Subs' rights are more complicated to enforce, and there are special hoops to jump through if the property is homestead. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...