2016 Main Condominiums

JustMefromLA

I take it the neighborhood isn't that good?  For some reason, I'm picturing something like South Central L.A.  But in south central, the area changes drastically from block to block.  Is it the same there?

Yeah, but they don't make movies about the Houston 3rd Ward...

...and the residents don't burn it down every few years, either.

In the old days, city council districts were called wards. Houston originally had 6 wards. The councilmen were called aldermen. Now, the boundaries are used to denote neighborhoods. The 3rd ward, where UH is located, is near southeast Houston. 2nd ward is near eastside, 4th is near southwest, 6th is northwest, 1st is downtown, and 5th ward is SCARY, also known in its halcyon days as "the Bloody 5th". You will not be near there.

Hey all...

What can you guys tell me about this neighborhood? Is it safe to walk at night? It looks like the train isn't that far from here. What are the demographics? What stadium is that? Is it used? Looks a little cold because of all the concrete. Thanks. I will be in Houston next week, M-F. Still looking for a condo to buy. I hope it isn't so hot. Should I just take shorts and t-shirts? Is there cool night-life in downtown? Then again, I'll only be there in the weekdays. Oh, does anyone here play tennis? I'd like to play one of those days. I'm about a 4.0-5.0.

houstonsatellite.jpg

Regarding public transportation - anything you can get that would involve a "straight shot" to UH would help immensely.

When a transfer of buses is involved, a 10-15 minute auto trip can easily become a 60-75 minute bus trip -- the wait for your initial bus ride, bus trip one, waiting time at the second stop, and bus trip two. (Very few bus corridors have the ridership to justify high frequency service.)

Then of course at UH you may have a 10-15 minute walk to your class - although the good thing there is that you will be closer to your class at the bus stop than you would at your parking place! :)

With that consideration, 2016 Main won't be a bad deal because you will be very close to a direct line bus to UH (if I recall correctly).

GOOD LUCK...and have a great visit next week.

PS - The stadiums...that is the old Astrodome (round) on the right and the new Reliant Stadium (Houston Texans) with the roof open - just next to it on the left!

The best way to figure out bus routes and schedules is to look at the METRO website.

http://www.ridemetro.org/services/schedulesandmaps.asp

Systemwide maps will show all of the routes in the area. Schedules will show an individual route and its frequency of operation. In the areas you are looking at, the buses run fairly frequently and you'll probably have more than one to choose from.

Good luck.

So, I'm in Houston now and am finding it very hard to get used to the weather. How do you people do it? Does anyone ever get used to it? It seems like you don't. Just yesterday I was walking in downtown and saw this lady faint in front of me. I got so scared! Luckily she came about right away. I asked her to stay sitting down, but she didn't listen. She actually thought I was trying to harm her or something. I felt some sort of prejudice from this lady (white, wearing a suit (education)- i might add)! I was only trying to help her. Oh well, I hope this is the only experience I go through if I decide to live here. Besides that, Houston's downtown looks very clean. Everything is close. Sporting events, convention center, shopping. Nice. Except, everything closes early, even earlier than Los Angeles. I went to the 2016 building, and it's actually pretty nice! The outside seems a little deteriorated, but oh well, can't have everything in life. People are extremely friendly. Went to a neighborhood bar close to 2016 and the people where so cool! loved it. I've been taking some pictures so I'll post them up when I get home. Cool city, bad weather. hmmmmm

So, I'm in Houston now and am finding it very hard to get used to the weather.  How do you people do it? Does anyone ever get used to it?  It seems like you don't.  Just yesterday I was walking in downtown and saw this lady faint in front of me.  I got so scared!  Luckily she came about right away.  I asked her to stay sitting down, but she didn't listen. She actually thought I was trying to harm her or something. I felt some sort of prejudice from this lady (white, wearing a suit (education)- i might add)! I was only trying to help her. Oh well, I hope this is the only experience I go through if I decide to live here.  Besides that, Houston's downtown looks very clean.  Everything is close.  Sporting events, convention center, shopping. Nice.  Except, everything closes early, even earlier than Los Angeles.  I went to the 2016 building, and it's actually pretty nice!  The outside seems a little deteriorated, but oh well, can't have everything in life.  People are extremely friendly.  Went to a neighborhood bar close to 2016 and the people where so cool! loved it. I've been taking some pictures so I'll post them up when I get home. Cool city, bad weather. hmmmmm

Hey, JustMe. Glad to hear you're in town. Of course, you did happen to come during the HOTTEST month of the year. Good news is, if you can handle August, the rest is all downhill. :P BTW, yes, you do get used to it. I don't even think this weather is that bad anymore.

Good luck finding a place to live. Hope you enjoy it here.

• 2 years later...

This building has a lot of lawyer's offices on the ground floor. Was it a hotel at one time? I think it had a bar or comedy club as a tenent at one time. I think the building has a clever name now.

This building has a lot of lawyer's offices on the ground floor. Was it a hotel at one time? I think it had a bar or comedy club as a tenent at one time. I think the building has a clever name now.

By referring to McDonald's, do you mean the former McDonald's on Texas at Main Street, the McDonald's in the tunnel system, or the one at street level in the HPD building?

The on On Main by the Bus Station. I walked around it yesterday and it is called 2016 Main Bulding. It looks like apartments higher up.

By referring to McDonald's, do you mean the former McDonald's on Texas at Main Street, the McDonald's in the tunnel system, or the one at street level in the HPD building?

• 1 month later...

2016 MAIN is a condo building! It has been renovated recently on the inside. Before 1978, it was apartments for rent only. It was built in 1965. No "clever" name-read the top! It's name is it's address (unless it has a nickname that I don't know about)!The McDonald's is at 2017 Main&Gray St. and Sammy's is the club on the 1st. floor. It blasts the lobby with music on Thurs.,Fri.,and Sat. nights. Here's to WAITING ON THE ELEVATOR MUSIC! When it rains, that ledge under the address keeps the rain off if you stand out on one of the balconies on the top floors! It's a great place, but strict about everything. I love the big balconies and the views-plenty of room for patio furniture and a plant or two!

What hurts the image of this place is the Greyhound Bus Station. If you stand in front of Sammy's you will see the constant stream of nuisance. Its just too close for comfort. Very unsettling for visitors. For the $ people are paying to live there its just not worth it. Long time Houstonian's would understand. This would probobly work ok for singles or a couple but no way I personally would have children around that scuz. Just too close for comfort. This is just an honest comment, sorry to hurt feelings. That Greyhound needs to go like now. -_-

What hurts the image of this place is the Greyhound Bus Station. If you stand in front of Sammy's you will see the constant stream of nuisance. Its just too close for comfort. Very unsettling for visitors. For the $ people are paying to live there its just not worth it. Long time Houstonian's would understand. This would probobly work ok for singles or a couple but no way I personally would have children around that scuz. Just too close for comfort. This is just an honest comment, sorry to hurt feelings. That Greyhound needs to go like now. -_-
Edited by Downtown

• 8 years later...
  • The title was changed to 2016 Main Condominiums
  • 2 months later...

A dining and nightlife concept is coming to 2016 Main, Suite 101.

Whisper takes over the space previously home to Worhals and Sammy's in the 2016 Main Condominiums.

It's a supper club / vibe dining concept. This may be similar to Bisou, Kiss, Ciel, and others.

http://www.whisperhtx.com

https://www.instagram.com/whisperhtx

• Like 1