I Really Need To Know

KimberlySayWhat

Someone please enlighten me - why do baseball players spit so much and why are they always chewing on something? Is it nervousness? Do baseball players have excess saliva? Do you think basketball and football players would do the same if there wasn't so much jolting around in those sports? It's really gross and it's something I've always wondered about. I'll admit I always have to chew bubble gum when I watch the Astros. Thanks.

Its just something that has become tradition. Go to any little league field and you'll find 10 year olds emulating their favorite baseball star. Everything from the bend in their hat, handing one batting glove half way out of their back packet, excessive spittig, and even scratching themselves inappropriately.

Sadly - the same trends of emulation follow in all sports.

i feel bad for the custodial crews...

and baseball is mucho boring - and the beer is expensive

and i have never paid so much to watch a boring sport where the men bitch like sissies about money/stadia and whatnot all the time...

end of rant :P

history of baseball and tobacco

i agree baseball's boring in general, but its the only sport we've got right now! plus going to games can be exciting, i think minute maid has a great atmosphere.

yes, the beer's expensive, but that's why you're supposed to get tanked before the game, makes it more fun too.

well there is WNBA too, maybe i should try going to one of those games...

Years back, before all the do gooders said tobacco was bad for you, they would occasionally have a spot on TV about baseball players and tobacco chewing. Some chewed gum, huge wads of gum, but most chewed tobacco. The craziest part was the guys who had a system where they put the tobacco in a big wad of gum and did both! I've never forgotten that.

i feel bad for the custodial crews...

Not strictly on topic, but...

I used to work in one of those 19th century brick factory buildings. The brick walls and concrete floors were painted light green and gray, respectively - except in the corners, where about a foot up and a foot out, the walls and floor were painted white.

It was explained to me that the workers used to spit their tobacco in the corners, and it would build up, and someone would have to scrape it out (ick!).

By painting the corners white, it served as a reminder not to spit there.

I used to hate all sports, but wanted to feel more involved with my city so I began watching its sports and I learned that I actually enjoy it. I like Rockets' basketball the very best. That's the only sport I remotely enjoyed when I hated sports. Can't wait until their season starts up again.

Since last year's playoff season, I discovered that I really like the Astros and find myself looking forward to watching their games. I've never actually watched a Texans game, but I'm sure I will whenever they start playing. Don't really care for WNBA, but go Comets anyway! If someone has to win, it should be them.

I still hate all non-Houston sports teams.

Kimberly - Im a guy and played sports for many years. And you know what - I cant explain the virtues of spitting saliva while playing sports -- or for that matter being outside. Granted its gross - but its hard to say why guys spit -- I guess its the same mechanism that makes us scratch and fart with little or no second thought. Besides they are probaly just thirsty!