Trebly Park At 1515 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wish this opening sooner, you're starting to see more and more people return to DT for sports events and work. This weekend I saw groups of people bunched around this area walking their dogs and jogging and a few streets down by the Rocket's basketball area just sitting and talking and hanging out which is a welcomed sight.

I know its a smaller park, but giving some green back to the downtown population is a big-ish deal, especially residents. Plus, it may entice businesses to finally lease all that space in the towers close to this park. I think this, plus the hub that has developed around the intersection of bike lanes by Phoenicia will have a bigger effect than we think. Would be a big draw for all those people that mill about trying to figure out where to go with their scooters from discovery green, or people who are there for games/work/whatever will have another place to go and a great restaurant/coffee shop/bakery to patron (assuming Tout Suite does move there) on this side of 59. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, hindesky said:

The law school holding on to that tiny little parking lot needs to be sued for being grinches.

Eh, its just one of a thousand parking lots to worry about. I'll just hope that it gets turned into some cool new development in the future to compliment the park. Multi parcel blocks are just more fun anyway.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice to have a patch of public space in this area, but like so many other modern-day "parks," it's way over-programmed.  It looks like when it's done, it will have a 25% to 75% ratio of green to concrete. 

It's not so much a park, as it is a playground for adults.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 4/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, editor said:

Nice to have a patch of public space in this area, but like so many other modern-day "parks," it's way over-programmed.  It looks like when it's done, it will have a 25% to 75% ratio of green to concrete. 

Well yeah it's just a pocket park

• Like 4

On 4/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, editor said:

This has been my thoughts on park development of late. Its just the times we are living in. Its not even the ratio of green to concrete. I would prefer to call this a plaza instead of a park. If that were the case the ratio would be more forgivable. I do agree that at the moment designers are place way to much of a priority on "amenities". I see this with landscape design for apartment complexes all the time. Sometimes simple is best. Sometimes just a hill in a corner with a nice view of a long green lawn is best. It really depends on the goals of the area. You could easily look at simple park planning like Herman Park, but you can also see success with Discovery Green and Memorial Park. Both heavily programmed, but work in their situations and context.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BEES?! said:

Wow, great progress!

I do hope the trees will pull through. This drought and heat are killer

Since they're new, I'm surprised they don't have those Irri-gator bags on them to supplement the in-ground irrigation system.

• Like 1