Historic Houston Postcards

SpaceCity

Thanks everyone!!

Walgreens/Eckerds and grocery stores used to have them in my area (Spring Branch) when I was younger, but not anymore.

I'm never in the market for them, so I just don't think to look for them but now I want to send some out. Since I couldn't think of any in my area and I was going to be near the Astrodome, I figured I'd ask around.

Ended up finding some at the Fiesta on Kirby and OST. And, of all places, a Hallmark near my neck of the woods, Town and Country off Memorial/Beltway. (I don't remember seeing them there before! :lol:)

Thanks for the help!

I always meant to ask: How many states have stores that cater to all things related to that state?

In my experience, the answer is "usually." I've seen them in New York, New Jersey, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Alberta, West Virginia, and California.

I mean, can one go to a mall in South Dakota and find a South Dakota store?

Yes. It's called Wall Drug, but it's a standalone, not in a mall.

• 9 months later...
What did your town look like according to Penny Postcards?

Click on the state and then on the county to see old

penny postcards from that area.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/special/ppcs/ppcs.html

Very rare indeed. There were some Galveston cards that are extremely rare. These were wonderful.

The cards for San Francisco 1906 are some not found anywhere. Will add to collection.

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by Vertigo58

• 4 months later...

Even this topic is historic!

It seems that most historic Synagogue's here and in Galveston had some off the most uniques and intricuit detail ever seen. At least here in the US.

One day Houston will start giving each specific wrecking ball some sort of historical sygnificance just for being the one that "destroyed the beautiful structure that one stood". :wacko:

Don't be surprised if there is a historic Starbucks there now.

Even this topic is historic!

It seems that most historic Synagogue's here and in Galveston had some off the most uniques and intricuit detail ever seen. At least here in the US.

One day Houston will start giving each specific wrecking ball some sort of historical sygnificance just for being the one that "destroyed the beautiful structure that one stood". :wacko:

Don't be surprised if there is a historic Starbucks there now.

That Sheraton Hotel that Subdude posted the photos of might be on the spot where one of these buildings once stood. Or maybe the Hyatt Regency.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

http://www.houstons55.com/postcards-from-texas/stories/

here's a list of some of the topics from the tv program, on-line. Found the one about the Rice Hotel bar very interesting, with the lost key, and the Jesse Jones story is great. Also includes auto, dealerships, Washington Ave., Eastwood, North side fire, Courtlandt, etc. Previous "home" page also has two recent topics. I like seeing the old b/w photos the most, there's some good ones in those videos.

• Like 1

http://www.houstons5...-texas/stories/

here's a list of some of the topics from the tv program, on-line. Found the one about the Rice Hotel bar very interesting, with the lost key, and the Jesse Jones story is great. Also includes auto, dealerships, Washington Ave., Eastwood, North side fire, Courtlandt, etc. Previous "home" page also has two recent topics. I like seeing the old b/w photos the most, there's some good ones in those videos.

Nena, Great link! I loved the Rice, and spent a lot of time there. The other stories are great as well...good memories.

Edited by 24zulu

• 1 year later...

I don't know if you fine folks have seen this yet:

http://www.cardcow.c.../texas-houston/

It has a bunch of, well, vintage Houston postcards.

Edit: Crap, I thought certain that if I'd seen this here before that I would have remembered it. I just found the other threads that mention this site. Sorry, guys. If a mod wants to delete this, please do.

Edited by GBryant

Postcard sites are great for gathering information on architecture and history. Many cards list addresses and bldg. descriptions, along with the visuals that are very helpful. This one, and ebay are very good.

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Postcards
  • 11 months later...