Historic Houston Postcards

SpaceCity

The Gulf Building, constructed in 1929, remained Houston's tallest building until well after World War II. Although its builder, Jesse Jones, was not in favor of sky scrapers--he favored a height limit of ten stories--he seemed determined for his building to be the tallest in the city. It remained so until after his death.

gulfb.jpg

OK some more. Btw, the 1920 downtown postcard was taken from the location of today's City Hall. Quite a change.

Central Christian Church, Main St.

cfs21.jpg

Central Fire Station

cfs31.jpg

County Courthouse

ch2b1.jpg

City Hall Annex, Market Square Louisiana Street side

chb1.jpg

Carnegie Library, McKinney St.

clb1.jpg

Downtown Synagogue

hcjs21.jpg

Main Post Office, Franklin and Fannin

po11.jpg

Stewart Building, Fannin

ph107.jpg

Medical Arts Building

ph111.jpg

But wait, there's more!

A favorite around here, the West Building

ph115.jpg

Fannin School

ph116.jpg

Downtown High School

ph98.jpg

St. Agnes Academy (now the site of Ventana Apartments)

ph129.jpg

Lumberman's National Bank, Main St.

ph132.jpg

South Texas National Bank, Main St.

ph134.jpg

Houston Post Building, Texas at Milam

ph140.jpg

Macatee Hotel, adjacent to Southern Pacific Station

ph169.jpg

Milby Hotel, Texas at Travis

ph178.jpg

Waddell Furniture, Fannin

ph50.jpg

Enjoy.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
These postcards might be collector's items. Who knows? Someone out there might be willing to buy them off of E-Bay.

I was browsing through your forum and thought you might be interested in the following link:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/panoramic_photo/

It takes you to the Library of Congress archives. Type "Houston" in the box in the upper left hand corner of the page, and the site will bring up a series of panoramic skyline photos from the turn of the century.

As for postcard views, I know of at least one site that trades in such things (www.cardcow.com). Try this link for historic Houston postcards:

http://www.cardcow.com/home.php?cat=65109

You can even read the notes on the backs of the cards and download favorite scenes as wallpaper.

Great stuff!!

Edited by mike1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Forgive my boosterism, but this shot is amazing

25th7et.jpg

My dad said that postcards used to be called "penny postcards" because they required just a one-cent stamp to mail them. Now I think that they require somewhere between a 20 and a 30-cent stamp.

As far as my personal memory of postage stamps, I remember you could seal the envelope and mail the letter with a 5-cent stamp. You could mail a letter with a 4-cent stamp but you had to tuck in the back flap; you couldn't seal it. I can also remember the 8-cent airmail stamp. But in reality most envelopes with one of those weren't flown.

• 2 months later...

Hi y'all. I just signed up and have a question!! I hope this thread is in the right forum...

I live here in Houston, but I would like to find shops or stores that carry current postcards of Houston and/or Texas. I don't want to go to "touristy" spots (ie, Reliant Center, museums, etc) to find them!!

I've compiled a list of stores that I plan to call this morning to see if they carry them, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows of any firsthand.

I need stores between I-10 West (preferably close to Blalock) and the Astrodome/Med Center area. If y'all know of any stores in those specific areas, that would be great, but I can also go to areas inbetween (West U, Galleria area, etc).

Thanks in advance for any help!

There are 2 Texas stores in the Galleria. They are located on opposite ends of the mall from each other. They sell all things Texas, including all types of Texas post cards.

Argh, that's right! Most major malls in Houston have a Texas-themed store.

I always meant to ask: How many states have stores that cater to all things related to that state? I mean, can one go to a mall in South Dakota and find a South Dakota store?

You can find South Carolina stores (or kiosks) in most of the malls over here.