Trader Joe's Grocery Store At 904 Westcott St.

TGM

It's actually going to be at 904 Westcott, but that's still close enough to panic, right?

Apparantly historic Memorial Club apartments will fall victim to this devious money-making plot!

I could not sleep last night while laying awake thinking of the traffic impact this will have on the Washington Avenue roundabout. That roundabout is made of bricks and the big Trader Joe's trucks will crush the bricks (and decorative flowers) as they try to circle the roundabout.

http://swamplot.com/a-trader-joes-coming-to-washington-ave/2013-02-01/

Spec's ran into the 1000-ft limit after building a store on that roundabout. I wonder it Trader Joe's will have the same problem. It looks like you have to go all the way to the far SE corner of the property to get beyond the 1000-ft limit from Memorial Elementary.

Edit: Probably doesn't apply to TJ's, as presumably <50% of sales will be from beer and wine.

When I first saw this on swamplot, I thought there was no way TJ would go for that location. TJ generally likes to be in strip centers with high traffic count streets. This location is just a bit too out of the way for the kind of traffic counts that TJs seems to prefer. But, they are putting in a TJs in Lower Greenville in Dallas that is in the middle of a fairly quiet little shopping area. So, maybe they are realizing that their brand is strong enough that people will travel to go to their stores and they do not need the big traffic counts anymore. That old apartment complex had been trying to upgrade some units, but it never seemed to go anywhere.

not to mention this is going to severely and negatively affect the surrounding neighborhoods by having lights in the parking lots. The delivery trucks will probably also plan their routes to take them over bridges that they know they will exceed the capacity on, and likely they'll just drive back and forth over it.

Trader Joe's doesn't really compete with places like Canino's and Revival. It's a weird specialty grocer that's best for novelties, frozen food, some dry goods, and cheap wines. 

Obnoxious sarcasm aside, building a TJ's this far west on Washington just might help anchor that (comparatively drowsy) end of the street.

Plus: It's not yet another bar!

(Nothing wrong with bars, but Washington has plenty)

We've fed some data into our Neo-Luddite Steampunk mainframe to calculate traffic projections for a post TJ's Washington Ave and it spit out this result:

this%2Bis%2Ba%2Bscary%2Btraffic%2Bcircle

Join our campaign to stop this madness:

Save the Circle, jerks!

My wifes dr. Office is next to the TJs on Voss.. That parking lot is not that big and it never looks overly busy. However, no matter what time of day, when I drive by the one in the Woodlands it always seems packed and the parking lot is much bigger.

It's actually going to be at 904 Westcott, but that's still close enough to panic, right?

Certainly concern about the structural integrity of the roundabout is justified, but since the location is well outside the "historic Heights", other historical contexts must be invoked.

In this case, the location's proximity to historical Camp Logan must be addressed.  No doubt historical presevationists in that area will press TJs to acknowledge, with some sort of architectural flair or on-site memorial, the riots that occurred there in 1917, as well as the influenza outbreak the following year.

• The title was changed to Trader Joe's Grocery Store At 904 Westcott St.

Archived