Downtown Hotel Market

futuredeveloper85

• 2 months later...
the embassy suites is not five star, right? this hotel is in addition to the embassy suites?

You are correct. Embassy Suites would not be a 5-star hotel. And the earlier news about a team planning to develop a 5-star hotel downtown was a different group than the group building the Embassy Suites. So there should be more hotel excitement in our future.

Judging by this past weekend, more hotels are needed.

I tried booking a downtown hotel 2 weeks ago for Friday-Monday. The Hilton Americas, Hyatt, Doubletree, Crowne Plaza, Club Quarters, Magnolia, Icon, Alden, Residence Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, and Lancaster were totally booked.

The ONLY one with any space was the Inn at the Ballpark. Of course, the remaining space they had were corner suites on the top floor!

I know there was a huge convention in town, but not being able to offer last minute travelers any space is NOT a good thing. By the time I checked in, even the Inn at the Ballpark was booked up.

is it possible that city center is a mandarin oriental hotel? i know they're 5 star.

Mandarin is pretty good about letting people know what cities its interested in very early on. If it was Mandarin, we probably would have heard something by now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was driving downtown along San Jac today when I noticed a large ugly concrete building somewhere between Jefferson and Pease with a fence around it and a Fentz construction sign. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

I went to their website and this (http://www.fretzconstruction.com/portfolio/current/shcc.htm) looks slightly similar to the building with the fence around it. Are they turning that ugly building into some sort of church building?

Would it be possible for you to post Google maps instead of live.com maps? Those map links won't work outside of Internet Explorer.

For real? That stinks. I like lives angle much better. But I do like google's ability to show street names w/ their satelite image.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Houston,+TX,...&iwloc=addr

Edited by lockmat

I think you're talking about the old Federal Reserve building. This has been purchased by the Archdiocese of Houston-Galveston for their Cathedral Centre. It will basically be a bunch of office/classroom/activity space to supplement the cathedral's presence downtown. First, they have to renovate it and bring it up to code, but I think is supposed to open later in 2008.

http://www.sacredhearthouston.org/document...Heart_flyer.pdf

I was driving downtown along San Jac today when I noticed a large ugly concrete building somewhere between Jefferson and Pease with a fence around it and a Fentz construction sign. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

I went to their website and this (http://www.fretzconstruction.com/portfolio/current/shcc.htm) looks slightly similar to the building with the fence around it. Are they turning that ugly building into some sort of church building?

I drove by BLVD Place construction site the other day and the sign read 400 residential units instead of the original 500 units.

I drove by BLVD Place construction site the other day and the sign read 400 residential units instead of the original 500 units.

With only 400 residential units instead of the planned 500, that means that either the 3 buildings with be shorter or there will be just two high rises. I am not surprised that it was scaled down - typical of Houston.

• 1 year later...

With banks not lending for most new commercial projects, do anyone know if the rehab of the old Days Inn is still a go. And has anyone purchased the old Savoy Hotel. Both project would be a major lift to that end of downtown. I am aware that the luxury condo project across from Discovery Green is having such a hard time selling units that they have decided to rent them at bargain rates until the economy improves, which could spell trouble for all those other projects in the works downtown.

I am aware that the luxury condo project across from Discovery Green is having such a hard time selling units that they have decided to rent them at bargain rates until the economy improves, which could spell trouble for all those other projects in the works downtown.

I presume you are referring to One Park Place??? That has never been planned as condos for sale, and has always been planned as a rental building. (And I haven't heard anybody refer to them as "bargain rates" ;-)

Edited by Houston19514

Old vacant buildings have a better chance of survival during a recession than during times of economic prosperity. Historic preservation is one of the few positive results of poverty. However, poverty also results in deferred maintenance and neglect. New Orleans is a perfect example of this.

How true about New Orleans. The last time there we did a lot of walking in the CBD. The old deco office buildings there that have just been abandoned to rot are a shame. It looks like Charity Hospital is going to end up the same, unless some deep pockets intervene.

I presume you are referring to One Park Place??? That has never been planned as condos for sale, and has always been planned as a rental building. (And I haven't heard anybody refer to them as "bargain rates" ;-)
With banks not lending for most new commercial projects, do anyone know if the rehab of the old Days Inn is still a go. And has anyone purchased the old Savoy Hotel. Both project would be a major lift to that end of downtown. I am aware that the luxury condo project across from Discovery Green is having such a hard time selling units that they have decided to rent them at bargain rates until the economy improves, which could spell trouble for all those other projects in the works downtown.

Actually they did start out as for sale, but I don't think they had enough people interested so now they are for rent. This happened well before all the harder financial situations happened with the banks and the economy though.