Downtown Hotel Market

futuredeveloper85

The Galleria

pip.gif

Group: Members

Member No.: 3,421

spacer.gif

QUOTE(713 To 214 @ Thursday, March 8th, 2007 @ 7:02pm) post_snapback.gifHoustondowntown.com

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. The first thing that stands out when you get to their site are the following words: What To Do . When you click on What To Do, they have downtown broken up into 10 different districts, or is it 17 ? Who is going to get on there and navigate 10 areas in 1 downtown. It' s all here ! (as they say), but when are they going to promote it and tell somebody about it ? They have taken so much time creating districts for one downtown instead of trying to unify the area as a whole and making Midtown blend in as downtowns neighborhood. Downtown is intimidating for most that aren't familiar with the area or that are visiting. I can't see a tourist going to that site in their hotel room trying to figure anything out, the rest of the material looks like it is stuff that their boss expects to see in order to justify getting a paycheck. No offense,but there sure seems like there could be a whole lot more thought put into promoting the area. I think anyone would be hard pressed outside of this forum to have heard of houstondowntown.com. If you and I worked for a company that built so many magnificent facilities and stadiums, and invested this much money into the downtown area and couldn't come up with a way to get off of our tails and actually promote it then I think we would be fired. It's sad...

Lot of wasted space here. Why not go to them and say something?

• 4 months later...

Details about the downtown hotel plan;

1) $130 million

2) 225 guest rooms

3) looking for suitable sites

4) looking at Ritz-Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, or Park Hyatt brands

5) due to strong financing, wont have to add condos like most new hotels under development

6) the group also owns hotels in Austin and Orlando

Well could it be located between GRB and MMP? The CVB seems to think it'd be a great idea according to a separate article in HBJ about the Microsoft convention.

I think the CVB probably has more of a convention-style large hotel in mind for the north end of GRB. At least that's been my personal hope. Picture it, directly opposite from the Hilton, on the north side of Discovery Green... A beautiful, tall, hotel and condo mixed use project. Maybe a Marriott Marquis, for example... Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. :-)

I think the CVB probably has more of a convention-style large hotel in mind for the north end of GRB. At least that's been my personal hope. Picture it, directly opposite from the Hilton, on the north side of Discovery Green... A beautiful, tall, hotel and condo mixed use project. Maybe a Marriott Marquis, for example... Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. :-)

That idea has my vote. I was thinking the same thing. North of Discovery Green would be a perfect location. I don't think you could get more central to all the destinations in downtown than that. Plus a nice tower would look awesome in the reflective pool going in the north side of the park.

On a side note, why aren't these people afraid of what the Astrodome Hotel might do as far as competition? It sounds like they want to build a hotel to accomodate for the conventions downtown, but isn't this the same market the Astrodome project is going for?

Is this the same project? I got this information from the downtown happenings email:

The latest exciting announcement is the redevelopment of the former downtown Sheraton at 711 Polk by Omni Hotels and Songy Partners. The transformed property will be just a few steps from the Pavilions, which is taking shape as a retail and entertainment hub with future tenants such as House of Blues, Lucky Strike Lanes, Forever 21, McCormick & Schmick's and Yao's Restaurant and Bar.

The Omni project will feature more than 400 luxury suites, 30,000 square feet of meeting space and a variety of restaurants. A complete wellness center on the fourth floor will be accessible through a separate, private ground floor entrance for neighboring Houstonians and nearby office workers.

The 13,000-square-foot wellness center will offer a state-of-the art fitness facility with a Mokara Salon & Spa, personal trainers and nutritionists who will be available to create customized wellness and fitness regimens.

Redevelopment of the structure is scheduled to begin later this year, and the property will open for guests in 2009.

Is this the same project? I got this information from the downtown happenings email:

No, this would be a seperate project. The project you're referencing would be a remodeling fo the former Sheraton Hotel on Louisiana @ Polk, right next to 1201 Louisiana and across from the Hyatt Regency. If you've walked that area recently, you'll know the city has been rehabbing the sidewalks due south of the building.

All indications from the HBJ is that this new 5 star hotel will be new construction. They are looking for sites downtown, not convertable spaces.

I love the idea of someone finally doing something with the beautiful old Texaco Bldg, but I am also excited about another vacant lot being developed (hopefully).

I love the idea of someone finally doing something with the beautiful old Texaco Bldg, but I am also excited about another vacant lot being developed (hopefully).

What are they doing to that? You're not referring to the Omni project I posted, are you?

What are they doing to that? You're not referring to the Omni project I posted, are you?

No - the Omni is a conversion right across from the Hyatt.

The Texaco building was rumored as a Ritz Carlton once upon a time, which is why I mentioned it.

Now this project is another high end, but now 5 star, hotel, that may be new construction in downtown,

I hope it's not a Mandarin. Dallas is getting one. Instead, Houston could/would be the first city in the south and the fourth in the US to get a Peninsula Hotel.

Here's the website.

http://www.peninsula.com/

I think this would do great in Houston.

Forget it. We don't have that strong or kind of cleintel for a peninsula. Note what major cities worldwide have one, and which ones don't.

No condos? That's disappointing. :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes the hotel/condo concept.

As a single man, the concept of living in a condo with 24 hour room service to feed me, as well as house keeping, in house laundry, valet, concierge, etc is great to me. condo complexes like the ville de este and montebello cannot even compete with these services.