WaterWall Place: Multifamily At 2801 Waterwall Dr.

The Hines real-estate firm is planning a luxury apartment complex in Uptown it says will be a "flagship" property for the Houston-based developer as it expands its multifamily business.

The project will be built on three acres in the shadow of the Williams Tower, Galleria mall and Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park.

Details of the Hines project are still being worked out, but senior vice president Alan Patton says the complex will be six to eight stories and contain about 300 units. He said the company plans to break ground in the first quarter of 2012. Construction is expected to last two years.

Hines purchased the property at the northeast corner of Hidalgo and McCue last month from Turnberry Houston Tower.The project will be the first multifamily complex the company has built in Houston since announcing its push into multifamily development nationwide in January.

http://www.chron.com...ss/7603762.html

I'm curious what a Hines multifamily complex would look like. Here is the 16-story one in Chicago...

5580349454_5bfaef8ca8_o.jpg

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2011/04/01/demolition-underway-at-old-town-site-construction-imminent.php#n-wells-demolition-6

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

Only 6 to 8 stories? Too bad. However hideous Turnberry was, at least it would've added some density to the Uptown skyline. At least something is going on the site, though.

My thought was that maybe they're trying to protect the view of the Williams Tower?

Only 6 to 8 stories? Too bad. However hideous Turnberry was, at least it would've added some density to the Uptown skyline. At least something is going on the site, though.

I think this newer development also adds density to Uptown. May not add height, but definitely at street level.

That's a different site. The Turnberry site is just south of the Galleria.

Here's the thread for it:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24828-2525-mccue/

Edited by Golyadkin

With this, BLVD Place, 2200 Post Oak, 3009 Post Oak, 2525 McCue, High Street, and River Oaks District, this small area of Uptown has the potential to be the most actively growing area in the city, if not the state. 7 major projects all within a half mile radius!

Walked by earlier today, they appear to be moving some dirt around already?

Doesn't look to be related, and actually, not quite sure what is going on there. Appears to be sidewalk and street light work by Uptown District. Wonder if the timing is just coincidental? Would be a shame for construction to destroy whatever they are doing!

Doesn't look to be related, and actually, not quite sure what is going on there. Appears to be sidewalk and street light work by Uptown District. Wonder if the timing is just coincidental? Would be a shame for construction to destroy whatever they are doing!

They've been working on Post Oak and Hidaldo for a few weeks now. I'd be surprised if it wasn't coincidental.

Here is a picture of one of the, well, I'm not sure what it is, they are installing on McCue next to the Williams Tower garage. I think they are streetlights, but they are really low and there are a bunch of them (are they solar?). You can see the Uptown shiny silver lights across the street, so I don't get it.

They ripped out the grass and appear to be laying a paver sidewalk. Does anyone know if the TIRZ here still exists, and if so, why? Seems like whatever purpose it served has been realized.

post-402-0-16323600-1308254133_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a picture of one of the, well, I'm not sure what it is, they are installing on McCue next to the Williams Tower garage. I think they are streetlights, but they are really low and there are a bunch of them (are they solar?). You can see the Uptown shiny silver lights across the street, so I don't get it.

They ripped out the grass and appear to be laying a paver sidewalk. Does anyone know if the TIRZ here still exists, and if so, why? Seems like whatever purpose it served has been realized.

looks like it's more for pedestrians than cars, oooo, how urban of them ;P

looks like it's more for pedestrians than cars, oooo, how urban of them ;P

I agree, it is much more human in scale. However, it's a relatively thin strip of land and so those posts are in the area they appear to be paving. Which will leave very little actual walking space (plus there is a sidewalk on the other side that doesn't get used, so why have two that don't get used?

Those are the sidewalk lights they've been installing around Uptown for the past year or two. They were clearly designed with aesthetics as the first priority, because I can tell you from walking around at night, they aren't very good at lighting the area.

I think I may have figured out what they are doing on Post Oak. They have started moving north from Richmond and are now working on the area the passes the Galleria. If they continue up Post Oak like this, then what they may be doing is the Phase 1 work for the light rail line, which was supposed to begin summer of last year. gometrorail.org lists Phase 1 as "Underground utility installation - utilities are relocated to make way for rail construction."

• 3 weeks later...

found these, thought i'd share ;p

http://www.hessamerica.com/News/Project___Uptown_Houston/

Those are the sidewalk lights they've been installing around Uptown for the past year or two. They were clearly designed with aesthetics as the first priority, because I can tell you from walking around at night, they aren't very good at lighting the area.

I used to do my evening walks throughout that area and those lights do a good job of lighting the area and are more efficient as most of the light is reflected down rather than outward.

I used to do my evening walks throughout that area and those lights do a good job of lighting the area and are more efficient as most of the light is reflected down rather than outward.

Then maybe the ones along Ambassador Way and McCue are just bad examples.

• 6 months later...