Bethel Baptist Church At 801 Andrews St.

torvald

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it was open today for a few hours too. It was only the second time I have been inside, you have come up incredibly lucky Triton. A neighbor told me they have been disallowed from opening due to a lack of public parking. Ridiculous if true.

• Like 2

Street parking is allowed, but most of the residents, including any guests they may have, park on the street and sometimes it can be difficult to find parking. It is dumb though to close it due to parking if true. Although it is closer to the old shotgun homes, all you have to do is park a few blocks down and still get to the same place.

• Like 1

I always walk to get here and I live almost 10 city blocks away and it's always closed when I visit too. Ridiculous if true about the parking and wouldn't the same parking regulation hold true for Midtown Park? Just post some hours on the park sign, sheesh.

• 2 weeks later...

I have literally driven by this everyday this week just to make sure I'm not the only one, and everyday (Monday... Tuesday.. Wednesday... Thursday... and Today) it has been opened. This was taken yesterday:

13311425845_e6d132dd3f_o.jpg

So I'm not sure how ya'll aren't seeing it opened yet!
  • Like 4

Maybe they are just crazy hours.  I am at a client this week and not seeing it until around 6 each day.  It was closed every time.  Last week, it was closed every day when I walked by at 8 am and when I walked home at 5:30.  

• 3 weeks later...

from Ellen Cohen enewsletter

Council Member Cohen met with representatives from the 4th Ward Redevelopment Authority (TIRZ #14) and from the New Temple Zion Church to discuss a series of infrastructure improvements to the 4th Ward/Freedmen's Town neighborhood.

Recent upgrades include the rehabilitation of the fire-damaged Bethel Missionary Baptist Church into the revitalized Bethel Church Park, and the introduction of security cameras in Wiley Park. Future projects entail drainage and other public utility improvements.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

And while I'm here, some good articles on this from the Chron, first from Dec 2013 and second from August 2012:

And someone made a pretty sweet video via drone flyover:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

From Cohen's enewsletter

Council authorized acceptance of work relating to the completion of the historic Bethel Church’s renovation into a City of Houston park. An icon in District C’s Freedmen’s Town neighborhood, Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was tragically damaged by fire in 2005. Its revitalization into Bethel Park has included restoring the three remaining walls and upgrading the interior into a multi-use space that is open to the sky while incorporating the park’s history as a place of worship into its design.

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2015 at 7:22 PM, trymahjong said:

From Cohen's enewsletter

Council authorized acceptance of work relating to the completion of the historic Bethel Church’s renovation into a City of Houston park. An icon in District C’s Freedmen’s Town neighborhood, Bethel Missionary Baptist Church was tragically damaged by fire in 2005. Its revitalization into Bethel Park has included restoring the three remaining walls and upgrading the interior into a multi-use space that is open to the sky while incorporating the park’s history as a place of worship into its design.

I want to visit that Church?

Edited by Begather

• The title was changed to 2