Bank Of America Tower At 800 Capitol St.

barracuda

On 6/26/2019 at 11:32 AM, tangledwoods said:

Elevators like these use a destination grouping scheme to reduce wait times.  When you scan your badge it tells you which elevator to go to (because it know what floor your work on).  That way all the people going to floor XX during the morning rush go stand in front of elevator YY.  For elevator banks that do not have badge access, there is a centrally located call station where you enter the floor number and it tells you which elevator to wait at.

Skanska used this system on their 3009 Post Oak building.  There are a number of newer buildings in Houston that use this.

Developers like these systems because on tall / large buildings they can actually reduce their elevator count due to the decrease in loiter times.

If you want to learn more:

Kone - Destination Control

What happens if you have to go to a different floor for a meeting? that's common if your employer has more than one floor.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, H-Town Man said:

And whoever has access to the data has a permanent record of when you entered and left.

Their building, their rules. That's the least of my privacy worries these days.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:51 AM, mollusk said:

Makes sense.  Building memos at 700 Louisiana always referred to "BOAC," which of course would immediately start a Back In The USSR earworm.

Maybe a change to Bank of America Center / formerly Capitol Tower by Skanska?  The Houston Club building seems to be going down the memory hole anyway.

To me, BOAC is the predecessor to British Airways, British Overseas Air Corporation

700 Louisiana will always be the Republic Bank building for those of us who were here when it was built.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Maybe it belongs in the thread about the idea of a tower three blocks over, but I saw this under the Houston Club/Capitol Tower/BOAT.

This is heading into the Texas Commerce Bank Tower (for brevity). 

B98Wn8k.jpg

There is tunnel access at the basement level of the One Market Square garage, and the tunnel was connected and functioning before they started the the Texas Tower construction. It's closed now, but here's a shot looking towards the garage from the texas tower end of the tunnel, and another from the lowest parking area up the stairs towards the Texas Tower site. I'm sure it'll be reopened when the Texas Tower construction finishes. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by jermh
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, jermh said:

There is tunnel access at the basement level of the One Market Square garage, and the tunnel was connected and functioning before they started the the Texas Tower construction. It's closed now, but here's a shot looking towards the garage from the texas tower end of the tunnel, and another from the lowest parking area up the stairs towards the Texas Tower site. I'm sure it'll be reopened when the Texas Tower construction finishes. 

That's neat. I never realized that they actually opened it, though I did follow the lawsuit about keeping the connection post-Hines acquisition of the Chronicle building, so I figured it would be there once the Texas Tower opened.

I just thought it was interesting that they didn't put "garage" on the sign, I took it as hopeful.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Silver Lining is busy for happy hour. I’ll post photos later this evening.

Wonder if people will get fired for drinking during work hours.

Great ... may try and swing by on Sunday evening to check things out. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Bank of America Tower Formerly Capitol Tower
  • 1 month later...