Super Walmart At The Beltway Near The Old Auchans

This is a little funny (I think) but the Super Walmart next to Viet Hoa, the overpacked HEB (its a grocery store people!!) and Food Town (Formly known as Auchan's)...is facing NOT the Beltway BUT "Food Town". My dad pointed out, "How mean to point in their face, "HAHA We're stealing your business and you got to stare at us while we do it"

in a way it is kinda funny!!

:lol:

whats next Super Target in the area?

Is it? I can't picture the exit and the alignment of the Walmart parking lot entrance. I would think 90% of the customers would not be coming off the Beltway, but rather from the neighborhoods surrounding the area.

As for the need for a SuperTarget, I don't know about the Bellaire area, but I know that Westchase could sure use one.

The reason it facing that way is because the land they bought is deeper than it is wider when related to the Beltway. So of course that's how they're going to orient the building just maximizing the footprint.

As for the need for a SuperTarget, I don't know about the Bellaire area, but I know that Westchase could sure use one.

Unfortunately Westchase Mall (yes it is still called Mall on the signs and it was originally an indoor mall) is loosing its last remaining original anchor, the wonderful Target, in a year or so. Seems the lease is coming up for renewal and the landlord wants to more than double the existing rate. A Super Target replacement is planned at the last remaining giant site on mid Westheimer. It will be at 8603 Westheimer which was the former home of Garden Land and the extensive Gulf Coast Greenhouses and Wholesale Florist. The red light just east of Fondren serves the site.

This will signal the end of a Target that is easy to get in and out of. We lost the other convenient Target in the area when it relocated to the cramped and congested spot of the former Montgomery Wards store in Memorial City Mall. It seems the former Target site on I-10 would have been the perfect place to have a Super Target but they spent all that money for a new skimpy regular Target.

The traffic around the new Westheimer Super Target is going to be heavy with the existing Walmart Supercenter, Sams Club, Movie Theater, and new Home Depot all in one place. Westheimer is going to need the upper deck soon or a tunnel/underpass like the one planned for Westheimer at West Belt.

Where is Westchase Mall?

Westchase Mall is on Westheimer between Walnut Bend and Wilcrest. Target had a difficult time finding another place to locate on Westheimer but at least the new store will be a Super Target, the first one in this part of town. Too bad Target could not work a deal to get more space in its existing mall. That is still one of the nicest Target stores, with the front windows and landscaping.

I'm wondering with the SuperTarget going up on near Fondren and a Target or SuperTarget going up on Taylor by I-10, will the Target at San Felipe and I-610 remain?

I think it might since it was just remodeled. I can't wait until the Target on Taylor is open so I can use the one instead of the Uptown location. Saves me some travel time from the Heights.

Wal-Marts typically don't face the freeways because their customer base is not using them to get there.

If a Wal-Mart is on a freeway and a residential area doesn't surround it, the store will face the freeway. Check out on the East Freeway, that Wal-Mart and Sam's doesn't have a residential development around it.

The Wall-Mart on US 290 at Tidwell was built before the residential development moved in. Most users will have to use the freeway to get there.

Westchase Mall is on Westheimer between Walnut Bend and Wilcrest.  Target had a difficult time finding another place to locate on Westheimer but at least the new store will be a Super Target, the first one in this part of town.  Too bad Target could not work a deal to get more space in its existing mall.  That is still one of the nicest Target stores, with the front windows and landscaping.

ooh where the new Petco opened up!! gotcha! yea I hate that "mall". Target is dumpy, Ross is a mess and well the only good thing is "Black Eyed Pea" and "Old Navy" and "Pang Tai" -Asian Bistro (I order delievery from them :-D)

other then that the rest of the area I don't really care about.

The shoe store-Show Carnival isn't too bad though, got my Sketchers from there and their fairly priced! :)

However their sideshow Randalls. Forget it!!! Too expensive!

But Petco! KUDOS!!! Glad they are in there!! Go Rival Petsmart ;)

only problem is walking Piper (my cat) down the asiles is tricky b/c the aisles are narrow.

We're not all blessed with fat paychecks you know. Some of us have families and budgets to adhere to.

I don't know LTAWAC's reasons for avoiding Wal-mart, but I don't shop at wal-mart because I go to someplace trendier or more expensive. I don't shop at Wal-mart because of it's predatory business practices, it's track record of discrimination against women, how it takes jobs from communities and replaces them with lower paying jobs, how it forces suppliers to lower their costs to a level that can only be realized by moving manufacturing jobs out of this country, the list goes on and on. It is just not the kind of organization I choose to support with my money.

You mean you ppl STILL go to walmart?

LEt's put it this way...

Its in the neighborhood and I'm going! I can't run to HEB for clothes (technically I could but not what I'm looking for) and I do NOT like shopping at High as hell Target!

As someone said I don't have a big fat paycheck to bring home and Walmart has more then what I need (including pet suppplies that Target doesn't even carry!)

Also when the mall is a bit too far or I'm too tired to drive, I enjoy walking around Super Walmart even if I am not buying anything. (even though I do end up buying something anyway)

Everytime I go to Target I tend to walk out empty handed. I go in there feeling, "This time will be different" and nope walk out with nothing.

My next best place to go is "Kohls" and well sometimes they can get a little high in price too (even though their prices were good in the winter)

Its your peference to ignore Walmart but some of us like it (btw, I'm also a working female and I don't care what goes on behind Walmart, if I need something and they have it, I'm buying it!)

"Also when the mall is a bit too far or I'm too tired to drive, I enjoy walking around Super Walmart even if I am not buying anything. (even though I do end up buying something anyway)

Everytime I go to Target I tend to walk out empty handed. I go in there feeling, "This time will be different" and nope walk out with nothing."

Kinda sounds like you save more money at Target. :rolleyes:

I don't know LTAWAC's reasons for avoiding Wal-mart, but I don't shop at wal-mart because I go to someplace trendier or more expensive.  I don't shop at Wal-mart because of it's predatory business practices, it's track record of discrimination against women, how it takes jobs from communities and replaces them with lower paying jobs, how it forces suppliers to lower their costs to a level that can only be realized by moving manufacturing jobs out of this country,  the list goes on and on.    It is just not the kind of organization I choose to support with my money.

Thats good that you've taken a stand for something, but just to keep you in check with reality: you not shopping there will not shut them down. They exist because of the same reason that you choose to shop elsewhere: capitalism. Its amazing how we cheer for the mom & pop operation until they become successful in this country.

As for manufacturing jobs leaving this country - they've left, and are still leaving, because of a little thing call minimum-wage - not Walmart.

I'm wondering with the SuperTarget going up on near Fondren and a Target or SuperTarget going up on Taylor by I-10, will the Target at San Felipe and I-610 remain?

I think it might since it was just remodeled.  I can't wait until the Target on Taylor is open so I can use the one instead of the Uptown location.  Saves me some travel time from the Heights.

Wal-Marts typically don't face the freeways because their customer base is not using them to get there.

If a Wal-Mart is on a freeway and a residential area doesn't surround it, the store will face the freeway.  Check out on the East Freeway, that Wal-Mart and Sam's doesn't have a residential development around it.

The Wall-Mart on US 290 at Tidwell was built before the residential development moved in.  Most users will have to use the freeway to get there.

where on fondren is that targey going? and i hope the one by 610 and san felipe stays put becasuse that's the one i go to.

Thats good that you've taken a stand for something, but just to keep you in check with reality: you not shopping there will not shut them down. They exist because of the same reason that you choose to shop elsewhere: capitalism. Its amazing how we cheer for the mom & pop operation until they become successful in this country.

As for manufacturing jobs leaving this country - they've left, and are still leaving, because of a little thing call minimum-wage - not Walmart.

Gee and I had hoped withholding my dime would bankrupt them!