Rolling Blackouts Hit Houston

two outages since 7am in my office in the galleria area

im in the galleria area as well and we've had 4 of them already/

That's true, there were blackouts early this morning, but seemed to have stopped. Hopefully that's the case for the rest of the day: I need Internet for pr0n.

fixed.

snowmageddon!! Must stop at Specs on the way home. Snow without Irish whisky is like...well, something.

Ugh, so does this means the grocery stores will be slammed with people buying bottled water and pop tarts?

American General tower was offline from 6-ish to 7, am according to the property mgmt people. Just checked in with my SO and there's been no interruption at home in Eastwood yet.

I live downtown and as of right now they (Downtown Management District) have told us that Downtown and the Medical Center will not be included in the rolling blackouts. I work in Greenway Plaza, and we have not lost power as of yet.

Do you think they are keeping the business sectors (downtown, greenway, energy corridor, etc.) up and running and maybe if they need to do more blackouts they will start doing the business sectors?

Here in Broadmoor we've already had 5 or 6 rolling outages lasting approx. 15 minutes each - a damned nuisance! Why can't the electric company spread them around to the neighborhoods where they've had none? When will they end?

that's really odd, we still haven't had any on our end of Walker. what a PITA for you.

This from Transtar:

Rolling Blackouts May Affect Area Travel

Travelers may experience traffic signal failures, reduced Web information

ERCOT (the Electrical Reliability Council of Texas) has mandated rolling power blackouts because of several power plant failures caused by extreme weather. These outages, which typically last 10-45 minutes, may cause traffic signals to go black. Once power is restored, some signals resume normal operation while others may go on flash mode.

Both the City of Houston and Harris County report signal outages, and are working to restore those signals which must be reset after power is restored. Drivers should use caution when approaching intersections. Non-working (blacked-out) signals should be treated as a stop sign.

The power loss also affects the Houston TranStar Real Time Traffic Map, both for camera views and traffic speed information. Because the blackouts are moving through the region, different segments may be affected at different times.

ERCOT has no timetable for when the rotating outages will end.

This from Houston Fire Department:

Today, the Houston Fire Department responded to 30 elevator rescues, most are believed to have been caused by the rolling power outages. The calls for service began about 4:30 a.m. this morning through this afternoon, with most of the incidents occurring between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. On average, HFD responds to an average of 2 - 3 calls a day for elevator rescues.

locals news is mysterious. I'm curious how they found the woman and grandma so quickly...people who were actually writing down the times it went off and came on and needed it b/c granny is old and can't take it. Maybe it's obvious, but do they just go knocking on doors until they find their perfect story telling situation? Do people call in saying they would be great to interview b/c of this? haha

locals news is mysterious. I'm curious how they found the woman and grandma so quickly...people who were actually writing down the times it went off and came on and needed it b/c granny is old and can't take it. Maybe it's obvious, but do they just go knocking on doors until they find their perfect story telling situation? Do people call in saying they would be great to interview b/c of this? haha

Local news is a hoot

In this situation, I'd guess that an angry relative called and complained. And they never just call one place, they call ALL the stations.

And if you don't do the story, or don't do it the way the complainer wants it told on the first day, they'll call at night and insist that you come out the next day and do it right.

They'll say, "Well, Channel 2 was out here, so you should be, too."

I always responded with, "If everyone did the same news, we would only need one television station."

That didn't always resonate, because many in the more feeble-minded classes believe that all of the news for Houston comes from a single news factory in a mysterious place called "New York" and that all of the TV stations, newspapers, and radio stations are all inside the same news factory.

OT rant:

And while I'm complaining about things I'm glad I no longer have to deal with -- what is it about people in Houston that they think it's OK to call TV stations all the time and ask for a personal weather forecast? They'll even call WHEN THE WEATHER IS ON and ask what the weather is.

My response was usually, "We didn't spend 30 million dollars building a TV station to give weather forecasts over the phone." I realize the majority of these people were just lonely and looking for another voice to talk to, but you know what -- I have work to do. I'm not a substitute for your medication.

OK... back on topic.

In this situation, I'd guess that an angry relative called and complained. And they never just call one place, they call ALL the stations.

And if you don't do the story, or don't do it the way the complainer wants it told on the first day, they'll call at night and insist that you come out the next day and do it right.

They'll say, "Well, Channel 2 was out here, so you should be, too."

I always responded with, "If everyone did the same news, we would only need one television station."

That didn't always resonate, because many in the more feeble-minded classes believe that all of the news for Houston comes from a single news factory in a mysterious place called "New York" and that all of the TV stations, newspapers, and radio stations are all inside the same news factory.

OT rant:

And while I'm complaining about things I'm glad I no longer have to deal with -- what is it about people in Houston that they think it's OK to call TV stations all the time and ask for a personal weather forecast? They'll even call WHEN THE WEATHER IS ON and ask what the weather is.

My response was usually, "We didn't spend 30 million dollars building a TV station to give weather forecasts over the phone." I realize the majority of these people were just lonely and looking for another voice to talk to, but you know what -- I have work to do. I'm not a substitute for your medication.

OK... back on topic.

It's funny what some people do in this world that most of us wouldn't ever think about doing. Like calling a tv station and telling them my issues and demanding they come interview me, AND THEN if they didn't do it to my liking to come back out.LOL!

Thanks for the insight.