Moon Tower Inn At 3004 Canal St.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I just went there last night and had the lamb suasage with some asian mayo sauce or something, and it was unbelievably good. (food didn't arrive until 545 or so)

Somehow lamb sausage with Asian mayo sauce doesn't quite go with the ambiance I had pictured for this place.

More specifically, it's a sambal mayo. Sambal is a chili sauce. Sambal mayo is definitely their best condiment, IMO. They also have black pepper ketchup, country mustard, regular mustard, or Ross-Sauce (all of the above). My favorite dog now, when they have it, is the Duck with Orange Sauce. They are now smoking the sausages for longer periods rather than cooking on the grill, so they are actually ready just a minute or two after you order (unless you show up right when they open).

Make sure not to miss the fixins box sitting on the patio. Inside is cilantro, some kind of sliced jalapenos, onions, and various other toppings.

• 5 months later...

The sandwiches are new. They're on the back of the laminated menu. There was a new sandwich today called The Montrose (some kind of BBQ thing) but my favorites are Orgasmatron (pork belly, bacon, chevre, blackberry chipotle compote) and Morning Wood (bacon soaked in maple syrup, hash browns, 2 fried eggs, etc.).

I tried this place today for the first time. Good sausages and great buns. They seem to have a movie night going on on Tuesdays - a huge screen on the patio.

They also have a different sandwich each day.

I biked there last night as well. My food strategy there is to simply put the decision to the cook and I am continually impressed with the topping/sauce/sausage combo they put out.

The first ten times I ate there I ate the same thing thinking it was the greatest damn hotdog known to man, but you simply cannot go wrong here, whatever they give you you will like.

I biked there last night as well. My food strategy there is to simply put the decision to the cook and I am continually impressed with the topping/sauce/sausage combo they put out.

The first ten times I ate there I ate the same thing thinking it was the greatest damn hotdog known to man, but you simply cannot go wrong here, whatever they give you you will like.

I was the one with the screaming baby :-)

I also did the chef's topping and I thought they were great. I tried three (!) different hot dogs: elk, apple and sage, and duck. Elk was the best!

Hit it before the Astros game with the 18-month old. I wish they had a high chair, or some indoor space, but without the kid it would have been fine. I just got the elk chef's toppings to-go. I was gonna just sneak it in to the game under the diapers in the bag (they never look), but I took a taste before getting out of the car and it didn't make it to the door. Best sausage on a bun I've ever had.

• 11 months later...

figured it deserves its own topic since it seems to come up in other topics..

Article in Culture Map states they're targeting re-open in July.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/05-30-12-moon-tower-inn-finally-makes-some-concrete-plans-reopening-date-set-42-beer-taps-on-the-way/

42 beer taps, microbrewery, water harvest system (?) are some of the high points.

My understanding from one of my neighbors is that they were having trouble getting permits to use shipping containers in their structure.

Whatever it was that was holding things up, I'm glad they got approved, the atmosphere reminded me a lot of how Alabama Ice House was about 15 years ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure it's worth a completely new thread, but great to see more investment (if only by the same guys) in the East End...

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2012/08/openings_closings_cuchara_gift_horse_moon_tower.php

Moon Tower is targeted for September (at this point, it seems to perpetually be 'next month'), which I really do kind of believe, I've been driving/riding by the location about once every few weeks and there is always progress, if slowly.

They are also going in with the Gift Horse Lounge somewhere in Eastwood.

And they're planning a pizza place too, somewhere in the East End, no specification on where.

Is it just me? Not sure how many people here actually have been to MT--it's not exactly a capital-intensive joint. Please just re-open Moon Tower, and maybe then I will entertain the idea of becoming super-excited about your other ventures.

Seriously. I've been riding by at least every two weeks since it shut. And you really expect me to believe 2 new cool places are on their way? All hat, no rabbit dogs. Dear moon tower, by distracting us with promises of pizza and beer, all you did was cause me to make a mental note to go by Liugis. When I would much rather ride my bike a few blocks for a duck sausage. Focus!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived