Multifamily At 2706 White Oak Dr.

J008

Originally posted July 25, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. I wasn't  able to retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, but I'm reposting what I do have.

Other than what was published last month on Verde's website (a division of Easy Park), I couldn't find anything that would point to a possible name for this.

But based off leads from this forum (that is not cited in the article), The Leader has at least one new finding.

Yesterday, the paper reported on the proposed multi-family residential apartments and retail at 2706 White Oak Dr, the site comprising of the former Fitzgerald's and the two (or three) lots behind it on E. 6th 1/2 Street.

This was all posted above in this thread weeks ago.

From The Leader:

The century-old building that was Fitzgerald’s, which had more than a 40-year run as a popular concert spot, was demolished in May. What’s to become of the lot has been a hot topic among those who frequent the intersection of White Oak Drive and Studewood Street, where there are well-liked bars and restaurants on the other three corners.

Clues can be found on the website for Verde Communities, a real estate investment firm that develops and manages properties throughout the Houston area. A page dedicated to “Fitzgerald’s at White Oak” shows a video montage of the former building, recounts its history and outlines a plan for the future – a mixed-use development with a multi-story structure.

“We hope this will include retail and multi-family residential uses, and perhaps a street level or rooftop lounge which, perhaps in a modest way, is an homage to the history of the Fitzgerald’s site,” the website reads.

The marketing material goes against previous news reports and speculation among Heights residents that Fitzgerald’s will be replaced by an automated parking garage, the specialty of the Chicago-based company that purchased the property from Sara Fitzgerald last summer. Easy Park and affiliated entities, according to Harris County Appraisal District records and a prominent Heights Realtor, own more land near the property and have other projects in the works.

HCAD records show... Heights Studemont Purchase Company LLC, which HCAD lists as the owner for the former Fitzgerald’s site as well as three lots immediately to the north with 6th ½ Street addresses (the entity shares a Chicago address with Easy Park).

Verde Communities’ Marilyn Jimenez confirmed they are all affiliated with Easy Park.

Heights Realtor Bill Baldwin, a member of the Houston Planning Commission, said the lead investor for Easy Park is Jesse Levine. Neither he nor Easy Park, which has not responded to multiple messages left at its Chicago office, could be reached for comment.

On a possible snag for the proposed development and opposition from nearby residents

There is a “potential snag,” Baldwin said, regarding the plan for the mixed-use development where Fitzgerald’s once stood. The three lots immediately to the north are included in a Special Minimum Lot Size Area (SMLSA) application filed in March with the city’s Planning & Development Department.

According to HCAD, those lots are designated for single-family residential use. If the SMLSA application is approved by property owners, the planning commission and Houston City Council, it would be in effect for 40 years and could prevent those lots from being used for commercial purposes or for a multi-family residential complex.

“I think he’s hung up a little bit there,” Baldwin said of Levine. Johnson said many nearby Heights homeowners are against the addition of apartment complexes, although she would welcome more retail developments and especially likes the idea of a rooftop lounge because it would provide good views of downtown.

More here: https://theleadernews.com/mixed-use-development-targeted-for-fitzgeralds-site/

Originally posted July 25, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. I wasn't  able to retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, but I'm reposting what I do have.

The other White Oak Dr properties from Easy Park included in the above article have dedicated threads of their own in the Heights forum. Please direct discussions about them there.

• A proposed multi-story automated parking garage | 2714 White Oak Dr

There was another site proposed. 2912 White Oak Dr (the address listed on building permits) was the first proposed site for the White Oak Drive automated parking garages from Easy Park. This would have been next to Christian's Tailgate and Tacos A Go Go (thread about that here)

• South Heights on White Oak | 2805 White Oak Dr

This is a one-story retail development.

Easy Park also plans to add multi-story automated parking garages in other parts of Houston: Railway Heights (thread here), Montrose (thread here), and the Hobby Airport area (thread here).

On 10/24/2019 at 7:18 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Originally posted May 28, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. I wasn't  able to retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, but I'm reposting what I do have.

The building last known as Fitzgerald's at 2706 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

Photos of the demolition process.

The Fitzgerald's lot is not becoming a parking garage but some kind of development, maybe residential based on rumors (posted above). For more on the automated parking garage going in at  2714 White Oak Dr, next to Fitzgerald's  (thread about that here). The automated parking garage was previously planned for the site of 2912 White Oak Dr or 2920 White Oak Dr  (more about the previous planned location in the thread here).

From Instagram last week:

idzq9WC.jpg

SPcTbBa.jpg

WCxP9Pc.jpg

hZmdKlG.jpg

n4Ydcr6.jpg

vBGYlHz.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxvw5FbpCOD/

Oh god seeing those photos hurts :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, Angostura said:

Kind of a big deal. Here's why:

There have been two minimum lot size application filed that cover this block face (the south side of 6th 1/2). The first extended all the way to 9th St, between Oxford and Studewood, and (on staff recommendation) was voted out of the Planning Commission with this block face excluded, as it's predominantly 3200 s.f. townhouse lots rather than 6000+ s.f. detached house lots. The second covers JUST the south block face of 6th 1/2 St., and appears to meet all the requirements for a minimum lot size designation of ~3200 s.f.

However, these MLS applications aren't really about preserving a minimum lot size. They are aimed specifically at preventing development of this site. The MLS ordinance requires that if a parcel current (or, in the case of vacant land, most recent) use is single family residential, it must remain single family residential for the duration of the MLS protection. This a replat of three 6250 s.f. lots into a single unrestricted reserve. The third lot from the corner (738) is already classified as commercial, but the other two were designated as A1 (Residential, single family) at the time of demolition, and hadn't been replatted when the application was submitted.

The variance request is on the agenda for 31Oct.

This type of variance is "shall-approve" if the Commission finds that, "the owner, in good faith and in material reliance on the [...] lot size otherwise applicable [...] expended a substantial sum of money prior to the effective date of the establishment of the[...] special minimum lot size requirement for the lot that cannot be recovered."

The developer argues that since they (a) spent well above what land restricted to SF residential would have cost ($900k per lot, or $144/sf), and (b) spent a few million on work related to the development, they meet the requirements for a variance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates @Angostura.

I have a question about the proposed parking garage. The garage is intended to  serve this development, Easy Park and Verde's other White Oak properties acquired last year, their new retail building nest Bobcat Teddy's Ice House and the surrounding businesses.

According to Virtual Builders Exchange, the automated parking garage will built on the two lots at 742 6 ½ St  and 746 E 6 ½ St.

I'm assuming Virtual Builders Exchanged arrived at that conclusion because the variance request documentation and the planning commission meeting discussed the parking garage. There's also this language in the documents submitted to the city:

We have purchased the two specific lots prior to the submission of  application  #749  at  a  price  intended  to  reflect  its  commercial  redevelopment  potential,  approximately $900,000 per lot, well above what the lots cost if they are restricted to single‐family residential use. Additionally, the two lots were purchased as part of a very expensive assemblage of lots that took place prior to the submission of application #749, which includes the former Fitzgerald’s site and the adjacent retail development along White Oak Drive. The owner has spent approximately $9.5 million on this assemblage, which includes acquisition costs, architectural design and engineering costs for the entire site, which includes the land subject to the replat.   

The owner has also spent an additional $3.2 million on design, engineering and other work as well as equipment necessary to construct the parking garage proposed for the site, all prior to the submission of application #749. The current retail along White Oak Drive has been underparked for years, and the project, including  the  $3.2  million  parking  garage  equipment,  is  intended  to  add  parking  needed  to  comply with City of Houston parking rules. 

But I think Virtual Builders Exchange's reporting is not  entirely accurate. From proposed plans shown in marking documents for another Easy Park development on White Oak, the automated parking garage is shown at 2714 White Oak Dr (thread and images of the proposed site can be found here on the forum). Also Easy Park vaguely referred to 2714 White Oak Dr as the White Oak site for the automated parking garage. as Easy Park 

The  two lots at 742 6 ½ St  and 746 E 6 ½ St are shown in proposed plans as being part of Easy Park and Verde (their retail arm) plan to redevelop the former Fitzgerald's site at 2706 White Oak Dr. Also Easy Park and Verde reference the lots (I think) on their website for the upcoming Fitzgerald's site redevelopment.

So, for clarification, are the  two lots at 742 6 ½ St  and 746 E 6 ½ St part of the mixed-use/ possible residential included at the former Fitzgerald's site? Or has Easy Park switch course once again and intend to build the parking garage on those two former residential lots instead of at 2714 White Oak Dr as discussed in this linked thread?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Angostura said:

They acquired the Fitzgerald's lots about a year after acquiring the original lots. I think the current plan is to site the garage at Studewood and 6-1/2, but I haven't seen site plans or renderings.

So, I did a search on the county clerk's website. I saw documentation from August 2019 referring to 2714 White Oak Dr. 

The documentation referenced a parking lease agreement. The parking in the attached documents for referred to the White Oak lots which  are lots 14 and 15 combined as shown in the replat in the 2714 White Oak Dr thread (thread is here). The combined lots are 2714 White Oak Dr.

South Heights Purchase Company ( 2805 White Oak Dr ) and Heights Studemont Purchase (the former Fitzgerald's venue soon to be mixed use at 2706 White Oak Dr) are listed as the tenants. Lot 14 & 15 Purchase Company LLC as landlord (2714 White Oak).

There's nothing (at least when I skimmed the document)  specifying what kind of parking: surface parking or automated parking garage.

With space being limited and Easy Park & Verde's public remarks on providing more  parking in the White Oak District by way of a parking garage, I don't think the 2714 White Oak Dr property will be converted into a surface lot for parking.

2714 White Oak Dr is likely still the site of the automated parking garage as depicted in the site maps shown in the thread for 2714 White Oak Dr (thread is here). I wish we could get a definitive answer from the developer.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 9:42 AM, Angostura said:

Deferred to 14 Nov.

In the intervening two weeks, it appears staff uncovered an approved parking plan for 2805 White Oak that included three spots on the these lots to meet the minimum requirements. That parking plan pre-dates the MLS application, which means that those lots should have been coded commercial in the MLS application. As a result, the planning commission approved the replat without a variance.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Multifamily At 2706 White Oak Dr.
  • 9 months later...

In October, someone asked if there were any updates pertaining to 2714 White Oak Dr:

On 10/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, bookey23 said:

Have there been any updates on this?

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/38696-2714-white-oak-dr-retail/?do=findComment&comment=665735

My response:

I don't know. Easy Park / EasyPark purchased 2722 White Oak Dr about two years ago. The lot is next to 2718 White Oak Dr and 2714 White Oak Dr. 

Maybe more details regarding Easy Park's plans for this particular portion of White Oak Dr will surface soon.

6NlTXs5.jpg

This map highlights most of the White Oak properties Easy Park has acquired in the last 7 years. The highlighted areas are orange:

• 2802 White Oak Dr, retail center South Heights on White Oak
  • 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2706 White Oak Dr / 615 Studemont St, Fitzgerald's

Not shown, are other acquired properties on White Oak Dr.

eaAA8pQ.jpg

Just now, IntheKnowHouston said:

In October, someone asked if there were any updates pertaining to 2714 White Oak Dr:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/38696-2714-white-oak-dr-retail/?do=findComment&comment=665735

My response:

I don't know. Easy Park / EasyPark purchased 2722 White Oak Dr about two years ago. The lot is next to 2718 White Oak Dr and 2714 White Oak Dr. 

Maybe more details regarding Easy Park's plans for this particular portion of White Oak Dr will surface soon.

6NlTXs5.jpg

This map highlights most of the White Oak properties Easy Park has acquired in the last 7 years. The highlighted areas are orange:

• 2802 White Oak Dr, retail center South Heights on White Oak
  • 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2706 White Oak Dr / 615 Studemont St, Fitzgerald's

Not shown, are other acquired properties on White Oak Dr.

eaAA8pQ.jpg

According to documents submitted last October to the city's Joint Referral Committee, the below map outlines the border of Easy Park's proposed mixed-use. The mixed-use is on the former site of Fitzgerald's at 2706 White Oak Dr. However, the address for the parcel where the music venue was located is 615 Studemont St.

The mixed-use includes the parcels at:

• 2706 White Oak Dr / 615 Studemont St
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr
  • 2722 White Oak Dr (the parcel also includes 2726 White Oak Dr)

The project is titled Verde White Oak

rWthzq8.jpg

bPokpDk.jpg

Easy Park / Verde Communities applied for an abandonment and sale of street or alley last October (for the planned mixed-use at
the former Fitzgerald's site at 2706 White Oak Dr)

Below is what the developer submitted and accepted by the city's Joint Referral Committee:

• Description and square footage of requested street or alley to be abandoned and sold: 

15' Alley, 15-foot x 135-foot; total 2,025 square feet 

• Statement of intended use and details of the requested street or alley to be sold: 

Land consolidation for future commercial / mixed use to be determined.

• Is there a site plan if the property will be redeveloped?

No.  Site plan will be developed after land consolidation is complete.

• What is the timeline for proposed redevelopment? 

Redevelopment will occur after land consolidation is complete.

• Description and square footage of any property interest to be conveyed to the City by the applicant:

15' Alley, 15-foot x 125-foot; total 1,875 square feet 

https://popms.houstontx.gov/OnlineJRC/Review/Review/1515

A preliminary map of the White Oak at Studemont alley abandonment and dedication requested:

CEFW8S6.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 7:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to documents submitted last October to the city's Joint Referral Committee, the below map outlines the border of Easy Park's proposed mixed-use. The mixed-use is on the former site of Fitzgerald's at 2706 White Oak Dr. However, the address for the parcel where the music venue was located is 615 Studemont St.

The mixed-use includes the parcels at:

• 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr
  • 2722 White Oak Dr (the parcel also includes 2726 White Oak Dr)

The project is titled Verde White Oak

rWthzq8.jpg

bPokpDk.jpg

On 4/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Easy Park / Verde Communities applied for an abandonment and sale of street or alley last October (for the planned mixed-use at
the former Fitzgerald's site at 2706 White Oak Dr)

Below is what the developer submitted and accepted by the city's Joint Referral Committee:

• Description and square footage of requested street or alley to be abandoned and sold: 

15' Alley, 15-foot x 135-foot; total 2,025 square feet 

• Statement of intended use and details of the requested street or alley to be sold: 

Land consolidation for future commercial / mixed use to be determined.

• Is there a site plan if the property will be redeveloped?

No.  Site plan will be developed after land consolidation is complete.

• Description and square footage of any property interest to be conveyed to the City by the applicant:

15' Alley, 15-foot x 125-foot; total 1,875 square feet 

https://popms.houstontx.gov/OnlineJRC/Review/Review/1515

A preliminary map of the White Oak at Studemont alley abandonment and dedication requested:

CEFW8S6.jpg

Following the approval of the alley abandonment, EasyPark / Easy Park submitted a replat for the Parker Hobby plat.  This includes the former site of Fitzgerald's.

The plat combines:

• 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr

The reason for replat: to create one unrestricted reserve and revise building lines.

5iL3tDr.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bookey23 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why would they get the abandonment of the alleyway approved, but then not include the northern portion in one big plat? I figured they'd want to get rid of the alleyway, so they can have one big L-shaped plat to build on

That's a good question. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this subject can address this. 

• 5 months later...

On 4/2/2023 at 8:48 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

rWthzq8.jpg

On 4/2/2023 at 9:04 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

CEFW8S6.jpg

On 4/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Following the approval of the alley abandonment, EasyPark / Easy Park submitted a replat for the Parker Hobby plat.  This includes the former site of Fitzgerald's.

The plat combines:

• 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr

The reason for replat: to create one unrestricted reserve and revise building lines.

5iL3tDr.jpg

Last week, a proposed subdivision plat for White Oak at Studewood Reserve was submitted to city's planning department. The reserve size

It appears the proposed plat combines the previous Parker Hobby plat and Holcombe North Heights plat. The White Oak at Studewood Reserve plat includes the alley abandonment approved earlier this year.

The plat includes:

• 2722 White Oak Dr

• 2714 White Oak Dr

• 2718 White Oak Dr

• 0 Studewood (619 Studewood St, 746 E 6th 1/2 St, 740 E 6th 1/2 St, 738 E 6th 1/2 St)

n0A7pNA.jpg

XGGaKPl.jpg

b171ERK.jpg

U4MUIEt.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From an unrelated topic:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/50578-white-oak-terrace-3601-white-oak-dr/?do=findComment&comment=691160

8 hours ago, emmanume said:

The Fitzgerald's lot as well as the little covered parking lot between Pho Binh and Christian's Tailgate is owned by a company called EZ Park - there were rumors of them wanting to build a 32 story tower at the White Oak Dr / Studewood intersection. not sure where they are with any of this process.

The former Fitzgerald's property at 2706 White Oak Dr (615 Studewood St) is for a proposed mixed-use and multifamily. I suppose if that's still in planning, a parking garage could be included in the development.

Regarding the project's progress @emmanume, the developers ran into lots of hurdles. Also, additional properties were acquired about two years ago. The addition of those properties are part of the overall plans for the former Fitzgerald's property. Furthermore, the developer has submitted several replats and requested a street/alley abandonment.

As noted from alley abandonment request last October, the developers provided the following answers in their application:

As you can see from previous posts in this topic, two additional plats were submitted for approval this year. In September of this year, developers submitted a final plat combining two (or three) previous plats and the approved alley abandonment.

So, while it's taken a while, it appears there is progress. It may not be the kind of progress that we can see in terms of construction, but it's still progress of some king nonetheless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

So, while it's taken a while, it appears there is progress. It may not be the kind of progress that we can see in terms of construction, but it's still progress of some king nonetheless.

Correction: So, while it's taken a while, it appears there is progress. It may not be the kind of progress that we can see in terms of construction, but it's still progress of some kind nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/6/2023 at 11:17 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The plat combines:

• 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr

5iL3tDr.jpg

On 9/12/2023 at 8:27 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Last week, a proposed subdivision plat for White Oak at Studewood Reserve was submitted to city's planning department. The reserve size 1.33. 

It appears the proposed plat combines the previous Parker Hobby plat and Holcombe North Heights plat. The White Oak at Studewood Reserve plat includes the alley abandonment approved earlier this year.

The plat includes:

• 2722 White Oak Dr

• 2714 White Oak Dr

• 2718 White Oak Dr

• 0 Studewood (619 Studewood St, 746 E 6th 1/2 St, 740 E 6th 1/2 St, 738 E 6th 1/2 St)

n0A7pNA.jpg

XGGaKPl.jpg

b171ERK.jpg

U4MUIEt.jpg

Developers Easy Park (Verde) submitted an extension of approval for the subdivision plat named Parker Hobby. This includes the former site of live music venue Fitzgerald's. It's on the latest Houston Planning Commission agenda for this week's meeting.

An extension of approval for subdivision plat is for the "expiration of subdivision plat and development plat approval; extension of approval," according to the Houston Permitting Center site. More details about extension of approvals are on the permitting website:

https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/pdd1024#about-about

The Parker Hobby subdivision replat consists of:

• 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr

Based on the name listed for the applicant's company, Houston landscape architects / urban design firm M2L Associates Inc. appears to be involved in the design/planning process.

@Urbannizer @Triton perhaps this should be moved back the Heights forum? This still seems like it's not close to going up anytime soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 5:08 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Developers Easy Park (Verde) submitted an extension of approval for the subdivision plat named Parker Hobby. This includes the former site of live music venue Fitzgerald's. It's on the latest Houston Planning Commission agenda for this week's meeting.

An extension of approval for subdivision plat is for the "expiration of subdivision plat and development plat approval; extension of approval," according to the Houston Permitting Center site. More details about extension of approvals are on the permitting website:

https://www.houstonpermittingcenter.org/pdd1024#about-about

The Parker Hobby subdivision replat consists of:

• 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr

Based on the name listed for the applicant's company, Houston landscape architects / urban design firm M2L Associates Inc. appears to be involved in the design/planning process.

According to the draft agenda for this week's planning commission meeting, The Houston Planning Commission is approving the request for an extension of approval for subdivision plat Parker Hobby. 

The plat consists of the following parcels:

• 2722 White Oak Dr
  • 2714 White Oak Dr
  • 2718 White Oak Dr

This is part of the collection of properties for either a proposed mixed-used or residential development. The former Fitzgerald's venue was located on the 2706 White Oak Dr parcel.

https://plattracker.houstontx.gov/edrc/RevDocDefault.aspx?AppID=0&UserID=0&UserRole=0&CycleDocPath=2024\2024-08_DraftAgenda.pdf

• Like 3