Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

I searched Wal-mart's site and they are still saying 2012 opening. They had 24Sep photo updates, it looks like it is 1-2 months away, so that narrows it down. I just saw these from the leasing agent .... http://ucrrealty.com..._IH-10&Yale.pdf ... nice aerials, maps. Bass St. will be an entrance from I-10 feeder to the dismay of all Bridge of Death fans and it looks like they added a RR crossing over Bonner Street for trucks.

EDIT: Here's a slightly different aerial with a better depiction of Bonner St. http://ucrrealty.com...ights Blvd).pdf

Wow. It is laughable that they advertise you can get from the site to the SW Freeway or anywhere downtown in "5 minutes" (slide 3 on either link). The last time I even came close to that kind of speed/distance was a few hours before Ike hit, when there were ZERO cars on the road. Even going up Yale to 610 would be a challenge, unless there were no cars in front of you and you hit every green light (all 10 of them in the 3 mile stretch). And believe me, they are not timed so you can make every one (Koehler, I-10 East, 1-10 West, 6th, 11th, 14th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 610 East)

Wow. It is laughable that they advertise you can get from the site to the SW Freeway or anywhere downtown in "5 minutes".....

How about Washington at Yale starting point timer starts on green light.....Washington to Stude, south to Alan Pkwy (left turn arrow on green mandatory)....east Alan Pkwy and floor it to I-45 Pierce Elevated southbound to 59....doable?

EDIT: Google says 4.1 miles and 8 minutes, mostly controlled access roads, I think 5 minutes is doable with some luck at Houston speeds.... http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=90++Yale+St,+Houston,+TX+77007&daddr=29.768173,-95.3981376+to:29.76207,-95.38754+to:Exit+46B&hl=en&sll=29.756107,-95.388322&sspn=0.032637,0.053344&geocode=FcdCxgEdRlVQ-injZO9nq8BAhjGWJQuWN2Ddcg%3BFe05xgEdB1dQ-int4EWZq8BAhjGfQdlsw7J6SQ%3BFRYixgEdbIBQ-ikLEHLNUL9AhjHd6cuEyhUzSg%3BFXvZxQEdg9xQ-g&gl=us&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=15&via=1,2&t=m&z=15

Edited by fwki

Wow. It is laughable that they advertise you can get from the site to the SW Freeway or anywhere downtown in "5 minutes" (slide 3 on either link). The last time I even came close to that kind of speed/distance was a few hours before Ike hit, when there were ZERO cars on the road. Even going up Yale to 610 would be a challenge, unless there were no cars in front of you and you hit every green light (all 10 of them in the 3 mile stretch). And believe me, they are not timed so you can make every one (Koehler, I-10 East, 1-10 West, 6th, 11th, 14th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 610 East)

With the new lights at i-10, it is hopeless to go that way.

If you define downtown as Houston Ave. Then I think you could probably get from yale to houston on Center in 5 minutes (as long as walmart isnt open, and the yale st bridge still in tact).

SW freeway would almost impossible.

This is pretty common. They use optimal posted speeds for all roads and don't take stoplights, signs, or traffic into account.

With the new lights at i-10, it is hopeless to go that way.

Bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? I don't have a bit of problem getting through those lights. In fact, the new feeder roads get me on and off of I-10 to home much quicker than before. I realize that the official Heights line is to cry about the feeders, but they are a massive improvement in mobility for me.

There is an endandered chipmonk? Why am I just now hearing about this? This thread is totally useless without pictures.

I'm risking the lives of the rebellion by showing you this picture, but I do so in the hope it will inspire others to rise up to claim their low prices.

You can see our brave pilot here sharing his Mos Eisley Bar nuts with a defector from RUDE. He has provided stolen HAHC blueprints and a codex to decipher their ritualistic brainwashing ceremony. Right after this photo was taken, Erroneous Monk was discovered and had to be evacuated to the Heights Reedlands. Our struggle for big boxes will continue.

3675190767_6033b51e66.jpg

Edited by TGM
  • Like 4

Oh exalted ones, I come before you to seek passage over the Yale bridge for purposes of commerce in the Kingdom of Wal. I have heard rumors of fabulous bargains not seen in the Heightlands. I submit to you my plans for home improvements and a list of items I seek in the Kingdom of Wal.

Whah, ha,ha! Declined! Into to pit to face the Anise!

Bib_Introduces_Luke_to_Jabba_as_Leia_Looks_On.jpg

*Btw, Jabba is a member of a protected class and will receive a waiver to cross the bridge and an electric cart if he should ever tour the Kingdom of Wal.

Edited by TGM

I just had my internet phone service replaced with a rotary phone.

excellent decision! Truly in keeping with your historic meme, I fully expect you to downgrade back to an old dial modem as well...I believe there may be one provider left still offering dial up service...somewhere....Ahhh to hear the squeals of an old modem again - reminiscent of days gone by...

Oh, no. We aren't trying to go back to the 1800s in the Heights. Only 1920. July 7, 1920, in fact. Everything that did not exist before or after July 7, 1920 must be removed. We actually had indoor plumbing on July 7, 1920.

BTW, I am not at all pleased that you hijacked my tile contractor thread for tub refinishing. :angry:

excellent decision! Truly in keeping with your historic meme, I fully expect you to downgrade back to an old dial modem as well...I believe there may be one provider left still offering dial up service...somewhere....Ahhh to hear the squeals of an old modem again - reminiscent of days gone by...

Obviously you did not buy your duck hunting license this year at local Heights mom & pop or Walmart. :-)

Htx

Halloween. Candy sales=$$$. I have heard that Kroger on Studewood is scrambling to get open around the same time.

In an alternate, renaissance universe......

Renaissance+1.jpg

I've just overheard our chambermaids discussing that you can actually buy pre-cooked sweets in the Kingdom of Wal!

Oh, how dreadful!

We've got to do something to abolish this lazy practice! Children need to learn that thistle with honey and candied plums are the only appropriate and accurate harvest festival treats! I knew these Norman invaders would be a problem the moment they arrived!

So what can we do? Declare the area a Druid burial ground?

No, we used that against the Peasant Village project.

Appeal to the Queen?

No, remember she endorsed the merchants investment in Wal.

I've got it! Remember when the Druids requested passage across our bridge to move stone for that silly time portal project?

Yes...

Let's limit the number of caravans that can cross the bridge for the purpose of safety. We can say its a weight issue.

That's preposterous! Everyone knows that they are not carrying stone across the bridge by hand, we're talking about oxcarts moving cheap items from mostly the Orient. It's dry goods, thin linens, and cheap porcelains at best.

Yes, but the impact of a steady stream of oxen across that bridge, think of the emissions!

Yes, I see your point. If we can somehow route them through the feudal villages we can cause a peasant uprising, and they will cry out for the return to the olde ways.

Here here!

Edited by TGM
  • Like 1

Here's what I don't get:

When I went to Houston (the Heights, actually) in December 2011, I noticed there was a "Restaurant Depot" on 18th and T.C. Jester on the White Oak Bayou. Further research showed this was a Kmart until 2002-2003. So, my question is, why are people making a huge deal of the Wal-Mart (a few blocks south of the Heights, plus a highway between it) but (to my knowledge, at least) never complained about the Kmart as much, a few blocks west of the Heights, without a highway separating it?

Here's what I don't get:

When I went to Houston (the Heights, actually) in December 2011, I noticed there was a "Restaurant Depot" on 18th and T.C. Jester on the White Oak Bayou. Further research showed this was a Kmart until 2002-2003. So, my question is, why are people making a huge deal of the Wal-Mart (a few blocks south of the Heights, plus a highway between it) but (to my knowledge, at least) never complained about the Kmart as much, a few blocks west of the Heights, without a highway separating it?

You do realize, don't you, that Allison was called up by the Heights Big Box Haters to remove the blight that was K-Mart. Fortunately, they spent all of their magical powers destroying a store that was doomed anyway, so they've had to revert to irrational mewling to fight WalMart.

Edited by Ross

You do realize, don't you, that Allison was called up by the Heights Big Box Haters....

They almost killed our Discount Tire with their treacherous alchemy. And that Alberstsons, wtf was that all about.....corporate malfeasance or witchcraft, who knows....I liked the weed choked ditch.

They almost killed our Discount Tire with their treacherous alchemy. And that Alberstsons, wtf was that all about.....corporate malfeasance or witchcraft, who knows....I liked the weed choked ditch.

When discount tire thrives, mom & pops die.

discount-tire2.jpg

Smash the machines of the imperialist-capitalists-fascist-baby seal clubbing-F150 with truck testicals driving-Texas Toast eating-Wal-mart shopping-meat grilling-suburban wine bar drinking-evil doers.

We did not listen to mother nature's cleansing waters of Allison and instead of repenting doubled down on our consumption. Put your ear to the tarmac of the Yale bridge and listen to what she is trying to tell us!

;-)