Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

for relative reference between a freeway overpass and bridge, not so sure they're equatable, but they are building a 8 lane overpass at dixie farm road, this includes demo of the old bridge, building the new lanes for the underpass, feeders and signal lights for the feeder/dixie farm road, they turned off the dixie farm road overpass in June, it's going to be completed in November.

if the bridge degrades faster and they need to shut it down, they will move it higher on the priority list.

s3mh is being s3mh.

During the I-45 reconstruction through Conroe, there were a few overpasses that were vital to the ability of residents in getting from one side of the freeway to the other. The state wrote incentives into the contract calling for demo and rebuild within 60 days, and penalties for failure to meet the deadline. The contractor beat the deadline. Considering the length of the overpasses, and the fact that they were located above a freeway versus a drainage ditch, I would suggest that, yes, s3mh is indeed being s3mh.

It must suck being wrong all the time.

During the I-45 reconstruction through Conroe, there were a few overpasses that were vital to the ability of residents in getting from one side of the freeway to the other. The state wrote incentives into the contract calling for demo and rebuild within 60 days, and penalties for failure to meet the deadline. The contractor beat the deadline. Considering the length of the overpasses, and the fact that they were located above a freeway versus a drainage ditch, I would suggest that, yes, s3mh is indeed being s3mh.

It must suck being wrong all the time.

1. Heights bridge can handle 18 wheelers, is just a few hundred feet away and does not need to be reconstructed or repaired. Big difference between that and a bridge in a sprawled out suburb that would force people to take detours that were miles long.

2. This is not a TxDOT project. The city owns the bridge. Funding is not coming out of the usual CIP process, meaning we are getting leftover scraps from State and Federal dollars and you take what you can get. City has no extra funds to put towards incentives to get the bridge repaired.

3. It is much more than a drainage ditch. It is a central artery of the bayou system that can see extraordinary flood currents. Construction will be delayed when the bayou is up to high. And the constrution and engineering involved in constructing something that can withstand the velocity of flood waters makes it a significantly more complex and demanding undertaking that a highway overpass, which are built every day.

The world is not as simple a place as you want it to be. Just because something got built in Conroe doesn't mean squat about the funding, engineering and construction that needs to take place to get a new bridge over the bayou.

for relative reference between a freeway overpass and bridge, not so sure they're equatable, but they are building a 8 lane overpass at dixie farm road, this includes demo of the old bridge, building the new lanes for the underpass, feeders and signal lights for the feeder/dixie farm road, they turned off the dixie farm road overpass in June, it's going to be completed in November.

if the bridge degrades faster and they need to shut it down, they will move it higher on the priority list.

s3mh is being s3mh.

It was never on the priority list. The City didn't schedule it as a CIP project. It is getting funded out of cycle with funds from the State and Feds making up the lionshare. It cannot move up any higher on the list unless someone finds additional money (which there is none). The City's only option to keep the bridge open is to make temporary repairs. But that is contingent upon emergency CIP funds being available. Temporary repairs will be a complete waste of money if the only reason for needing them is that the City won't take measures to enforce the weight restrictions.

Guess what? We have something called standards that are in place so that there is never a risk of a bridge failure (people tend to get killed when a bridge fails--not something you want to mess with). Once engineers find that the structural integrity of the bridge has reached a point where the risk of failure begins, they have to close the bridge until it is fixed or replaced. Exceeding the load limitations just puts the bridge on the fast track to the day when the engineers order the bridge to be closed. If the bridge gets closed prior to the time funding is available to build a new bridge, it will just sit there for months or years.

A permanent replacement bridge could not be constructed in 6 weeks under any circumstance. In fact, anything less than a year would be fast.

Currently, the plan is to start construction in 2016 (http://www.khou.com/...-165670506.html). If the load limitations are violated continuously, causing the bridge to degrade faster, we could end up having the bridge closed for three to four years total, including construction, instead of one year.

It took just under a year to rebuild the I-35 bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis. That was something like an 8-10 lane bridge and 1200 feet long. I realize that the big ditch by the Heights can see extraordinary currents - but are you really comparing it to the Mississippi?

It took just under a year to rebuild the I-35 bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis. That was something like an 8-10 lane bridge and 1200 feet long. I realize that the big ditch by the Heights can see extraordinary currents - but are you really comparing it to the Mississippi?

That can't be used as a comparison because it makes s3mh's point invalid...and s3mh being s3mh said that we know it would take longer. WE KNOW!

Open Letter to Mayor Parker

Dear Mr. Mayor,

I am writing to you about the imminent collapse Yale Street Bridge over White Oak Bayou. As concerned citizens of the Hip and Historical Houston Heights and the free peoples of the Norhill Addition, we ask that you use the power of your office to prevent the pending catastrophe by immediately closing the bridge to all vehicular traffic. Concurrent with such action, please commence the six-year project of preserving the spans with period-appropriate materials in strict accordance with the our HISTORIC PRESERVATION ORDINANCE AS AMENDED 10/13/2010 BY MACHIAVELLIAN ELECTORAL GAMBIT thereby guaranteeing permanent use as a pedestrian walkway and fishing pier. While you’re at it, please move the Wal-Mart to the San Jacinto Stone site to shorten the walking distance for RUDH members.

Sincerely,

fwki

Edited by fwki

State reduced the load limit to prohibit SUV's & Trucks, but its not done for safety reasons? What other reason could there possibly be for reducing the load limits on the bridge if not for safety?

Is this the very first bridge in the history of the State of Texas to be politically sensitive to low mileage vehicles? Seriously? What other justification could there be?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/State-reduces-Yale-Street-bridge-load-limit/-/1735978/16770686/-/velult/-/index.html

When did having orangutans in movies stop being popular? Was it project X? I think we have really lost our way in the world without movies featuring these majestic creatures.

And was there an offsetting uptick in upemployed orangutans lurking around Midtown and the Greyhound Bus Station turning an otherwise pristine neighborhood into an urban jungle?

So, now all of these vehicles are banned from using the Yale St. bridge: http://www.alphaleasing.com/businessaspects/over6000gvwr.asp

Basically, the bridge has deteriorated to the point where it is minimally functioning. It cannot get any worse than it is now. If it gets any worse, it gets closed until the City fixes it.

Even with this downgrade, it is still not scheduled to be replaced until 2016. So much for those 60 day turnaround priority jobs that you all were fantasizing about. Back to reality. No mention from CM Cohen when the City will be able to complete repairs to get the load capacity back up.

Of course, all of you Walmart/Developer fanboys have no objectivity and will never admit that this is a monsterous failure on the part of the City and State. The City sat around for months with the developer talking about tax goodies for infrastructure upgrade, but didn't think for a second about the Yale St. bridge until opponents pointned it out when the City said that Walmart truck traffic would use Yale St. to access the development. The City could have put bridge repair in the 380 agreement and made the developer pay for things like the utility ROW purchase from the city and road construction that are typically exactions that private developers are required to fund. If the developer did one of those magic 60 day bridge rebuilds, this problem would have been solved. TxDOT also blew it as they should have known that the feeder expansion would increase traffic along the bridge (which was load restricted before the feeder expansion work began) and worked with the City to upgrade the bridge prior to the completion of the feeder. but, instead, we all just make it up as we go along and hope that the bridge will last and that the bridge building fairy will come along with 4 million dollars to build a new bridge in 60 days.

So, now all of these vehicles are banned from using the Yale St. bridge: http://www.alphaleas...ver6000gvwr.asp

Basically, the bridge has deteriorated to the point where it is minimally functioning. It cannot get any worse than it is now. If it gets any worse, it gets closed until the City fixes it.

Even with this downgrade, it is still not scheduled to be replaced until 2016. So much for those 60 day turnaround priority jobs that you all were fantasizing about. Back to reality. No mention from CM Cohen when the City will be able to complete repairs to get the load capacity back up.

Of course, all of you Walmart/Developer fanboys have no objectivity and will never admit that this is a monsterous failure on the part of the City and State. The City sat around for months with the developer talking about tax goodies for infrastructure upgrade, but didn't think for a second about the Yale St. bridge until opponents pointned it out when the City said that Walmart truck traffic would use Yale St. to access the development. The City could have put bridge repair in the 380 agreement and made the developer pay for things like the utility ROW purchase from the city and road construction that are typically exactions that private developers are required to fund. If the developer did one of those magic 60 day bridge rebuilds, this problem would have been solved. TxDOT also blew it as they should have known that the feeder expansion would increase traffic along the bridge (which was load restricted before the feeder expansion work began) and worked with the City to upgrade the bridge prior to the completion of the feeder. but, instead, we all just make it up as we go along and hope that the bridge will last and that the bridge building fairy will come along with 4 million dollars to build a new bridge in 60 days.

It appears that now you are a supporter of 380 agreements. Glad to see you've come around.

So, now all of these vehicles are banned from using the Yale St. bridge: http://www.alphaleas...ver6000gvwr.asp

It appears that now you are a supporter of 380 agreements. Glad to see you've come around.

i wish you two would get over yourselves, do it, and move on. this place is getting pretty unbearable.

Marksmu, if you have a non-commercial license and are driving a non-commercial vehicle I think you should fully expect to be able to drive across a 4-lane bridge on a major thoroughfare in a major city in the USA. This isn't some shabby little bridge over a crick out in a remote area.

It will be interesting to see if the City intends to enforce these ridiculously low limits on people with "regular" licenses in "regular" vehicles.

Also interesting is the line from the City's press release that Red pointed out - that the deterioration wasn't recent. When did the deterioration occur? Why weren't the load limits lowered at that point in time?

There is a lot the City and TxDOT aren't telling us about this bridge.

And Marksmu, there is no reason to get my camera out. The City says they've borrowed one to record the bridge.

Luckily the vehicles from a period correct (Historic District approved) perspective, namely horse and buggy, are all well within the GVWR.

This is a monumental failure on the part of the city/state, but Walmart doesn't enter into it, the bridge would be as good as a box of tissue paper regardless the state of that site.

If anything, Walmart raised awareness of the current state of the bridge.

I dont care if the city takes a picture....last I heard they ruled out traffic tickets based on photographs...Maybe I should get a window sticker that depicts the bridge of death on the back window of my truck - at least that way IF it fails while Im on it, I will get to have an ironic death and make an easy news story.

Luckily the vehicles from a period correct (Historic District approved) perspective, namely horse and buggy, are all well within the GVWR.

This is a monumental failure on the part of the city/state, but Walmart doesn't enter into it, the bridge would be as good as a box of tissue paper regardless the state of that site.

If anything, Walmart raised awareness of the current state of the bridge.

BS. Show me one thing Walmart actually did to raise awareness on this issue. If anything, they have been notably silent despite all of their BS corporate propaganda about being a good neighbor.

The community is 100% responsible for rasing awareness about the bridge. Not the city. Not Ainbinder. Not Walmart. Your argument is like thanking cigarette manufacturers for raising awareness about lung cancer. Just man up and admit that RUDH and all the community orgs working on this are way out in front of the City on doing what is really best for the neighborhood and stop buying into the propaganda about the 380 agreement providing a benefit to the community. 6 mil would more than cover the cost of repairing that bridge and might even get some of those magic incentives in place to get it done faster.

And I do not buy into the argument that Walmart doesn't enter into it. They are the ones that need to use the bridge for their 18 wheeler traffic. They bought the land and own it, not Ainbinder. They should have been raising this issue years ago but tried to just let it go so the bridge closure would be put off as long as possible as to not interfere with the critical first few years their store is open.

BS. Show me one thing Walmart actually did to raise awareness on this issue.

Just by being Walmart. Your group looked for anything they could find, they found the bridge was wanting and raised awareness.

I'd bet a dozen high quality piping hot glazed donuts from Shipley donuts that RUDH wouldn't have ever cared about the bridge had Walmart not chosen that site, in fact, RUDH would never had EXISTED to care had Walmart not chosen that site.

So while Walmart didn't issue a national press release stating the bridge sucked balls, they are indirectly responsible.

BS. Show me one thing Walmart actually did to raise awareness on this issue.

Look in the mirror. You wouldn't know about the bridge or be vocal about the bridge unless Wal-Mart had prompted you to give a damn. There are lots of bridges in poor condition, but you don't care about those. You care about this one. Why? Wal-Mart. That's why.

And I do not buy into the argument that Walmart doesn't enter into it. They are the ones that need to use the bridge for their 18 wheeler traffic. They bought the land and own it, not Ainbinder. They should have been raising this issue years ago but tried to just let it go so the bridge closure would be put off as long as possible as to not interfere with the critical first few years their store is open.

Wal-Mart trucks have several approaches to their store available to them. They don't need the Yale Street bridge except for the traffic count of passenger vehicles.

Edited by TheNiche

Niche, this is the worst bridge in Texas, according to the ratings. Which other bridges are in poor condition that you are so concerned about?

Please elaborate on the several approaches to the store that Walmart 18-wheelers can take.

The Entech report says that the limits were lowered to the previous level (8,000 lbs single axle, 10,000 lbs tandem) in late 2010. Signage didn't go up until late 2011. Why?

Do you really think it is acceptable to have a bridge on a major thoroughfare with over 13,000 vehicles a day that has a limit of 3,000 lbs per axle?

And traffic count of passenger vehicles is pretty important, don't you think?