HEB Vs. Everyone Else

I don't live in Houston, and have scaled back my posts as such. But I was at the local H-E-B today and there was a large placard displaying H-E-B prices vs. Kroger with the Kroger card and H-E-B prices vs. Randalls with the Randalls card. Given there are no Randalls in College Station (the only Randalls converted to Albertson's in 1997, and now that's the last Albertson's in town), I figured those things are all over the Houston H-E-Bs as well. What say you?

I don't live in Houston, and have scaled back my posts as such. But I was at the local H-E-B today and there was a large placard displaying H-E-B prices vs. Kroger with the Kroger card and H-E-B prices vs. Randalls with the Randalls card. Given there are no Randalls in College Station (the only Randalls converted to Albertson's in 1997, and now that's the last Albertson's in town), I figured those things are all over the Houston H-E-Bs as well. What say you?

I've seen that before. Any store can do that if they pick their items right. We went to Kroger Saturday, and ended up saving $52 on $90, and only $12 of that was coupons. You can never do that at HEB, and if we took our same list there, there is no doubt the price would be much higher.

We typically buy the same things each week, and usually shop at the Kroger on W Gray. Since we do buy the same things, when the HEB on Buffalo Speedway opened, we decided to try it out for a few weeks, and then compare prices to our previous purchases at Kroger. For us, the savings at HEB is about $10 on the $150 each week that we spend (including using the Kroger card). And it's pretty consistent: Some items are more expensive by a few cents, but the majority are cheaper, and there are a few items that worked out to be a lot cheaper, driving most of the savings. Now this isn't every week as vegetable prices move all over the place, but it is pretty consistent overall.

Combine that with HEB's superior customer service (and the fact we are supporting a Texas company), and for us it is a no-brainer.

Edited by travelguy_73
  • Like 1

I've seen that before. Any store can do that if they pick their items right. We went to Kroger Saturday, and ended up saving $52 on $90, and only $12 of that was coupons. You can never do that at HEB, and if we took our same list there, there is no doubt the price would be much higher.

These "savings" numbers are bogus. Its only a savings over regular Kroger prices, which no sensible person will be paying.

• Like 1

I've been shopping at HEB almost exclusively but I can't say if they are cheaper than Kroger on everyday prices. I tend to buy a high percentage of ad items. HEB (and I imagine all their competitors) has different ads for different stores. Recently I stopped off at the store on 18th street by my office expecting to pick up a few items in my sale ad from the Chronicle, but alas, the same items weren't on sale there. I suspect the bigger bargains are fouind at stores with a viable competitor close by.

Normally I shop at the Fry Rd./Grand Parkway HEB which is a great store.

These "savings" numbers are bogus. Its only a savings over regular Kroger prices, which no sensible person will be paying.

And Kroger's regular prices are Randalls club card prices. I really don't understand how anyone would shop at Randalls unless it was the only store in their neighborhood.

I shop mostly at Krogers because it's closest and more convenient. If HEB was closer I'd probably shop there more often. I believe HEB is a little cheaper overall but it all depends on how you shop. I think Kroger has a greater variety of generic items and better sales prices.  I do like buying vegetables best at HEB. 

HEB (and I imagine all their competitors) has different ads for different stores.

This is correct for the "big three," HEB, Randalls, and Kroger. Sometimes two stores near each other will share an ad. The smaller guys usually run one ad for all (or both, as the case may be) of their stores.

For groceries and other food items, I shop exclusively at HEB. I've shopped at Krogers, Randalls, and others and they are almost always more expensive. Usually by a large margin. Usually I'll shop at the big HEB on Woodridge. I made the mistake of going to get the groceries there yesterday (Sunday) evening and it was utter chaos...

Whilst I waited in line for Susan to ring me up, some little kid somehow got his hand crushed or run over by a buggy while hanging around the exit door. Mom was yelling and hollering while dad was chatting on this phone - blissfully unaware of his wife's kid's plight. Finally he snaps out of it and yells "Hay!" and runs around to the sliding doors, where his kid and mom were yelping in the middle of a crowd of 30 other befuddled lookers-on. Mind you the store was absolutely packed and the lines were long. Then the nice lady in front of me decides to separate her two buggies full of food into three separate purchases. Ugh. The she pays with some kind of card that you keep in the machine instead of just swiping it. "Perhaps she should change banks", I thought to myself. Much to my frustration, on this particular evening, the card reader for her strange card decided to retire for the night. So it would not read her card. Ugh. After 9 minutes of meddling with it, some manager finally came over (she had to navigate through a barrage of people arguing about the kids hand) and pressed a few secret buttons and the card reader finally worked. Then for her second purchase, she again inserts the card, and decides to proceed counting a large quantity of loose coins. So this goes on for about 6 minutes all the while the cashier had to repeatedly inform the lady that Chuck E Cheese tokens are not valid at HEB...

But wait, it gets better. For her third purchase we go through all the same rigamarole, then finally her purchase is complete. Then one (out of 6) of her kids reports she does not like whole milk. So now mom wants to exchange it. Ugh. I suggested to Susan that she ask the lady to wait to the side so that I can be rung up. The lady's husband muttered something in another language and both the lady and Susan welcomed this groundbreaking innovation with open arms, stuffed buggies, and broken card readers.

Finally, I completed my transaction, and rolled right on out of there. Whilst loading my groceries into my car, I noticed that the lady in front of me in the check out line was parked next to me. She managed to cram her 2 buggies of food, 6 kids, and her hubby (speaking in a different language I could not understand - he had one of those Budweiser spicy michelada beers in his hand - opened already) into their new Lincoln Navigator - with 22" spinners mind you.

Later when I got home, while meditating, I contemplated becoming upset. I noticed that Susan forgot to credit me for some nacho cheese sauce (buy 1 get 4 free deal). Instead of getting furious, I concluded from now on, I will shop only at the HEB Buffalo.

Either way, I cannot bring myself to shop at Krogers or Randalls or whatever. Ugh.

When Randall's was Randall's and not Safeway in a bad disguise, they were great. They introduced good customer service to the Houston market. Their stores were always clean and clutter free, employees always friendly and very helpful. The moment Safeway bought it, everything went down the tubes. Within a week I noticed little paper notes and such taped to the registers, the employees looked tired and stressed and I the brands all changed to the awful safeway brands.

• Like 1

When Randall's was Randall's and not Safeway in a bad disguise, they were great. They introduced good customer service to the Houston market. Their stores were always clean and clutter free, employees always friendly and very helpful. The moment Safeway bought it, everything went down the tubes. Within a week I noticed little paper notes and such taped to the registers, the employees looked tired and stressed and I the brands all changed to the awful safeway brands.

They've always been a more expensive store.

For groceries and other food items, I shop exclusively at HEB. I've shopped at Krogers, Randalls, and others and they are almost always more expensive. Usually by a large margin. Usually I'll shop at the big HEB on Woodridge. I made the mistake of going to get the groceries there yesterday (Sunday) evening and it was utter chaos...

Whilst I waited in line for Susan to ring me up, some little kid somehow got his hand crushed or run over by a buggy while hanging around the exit door. Mom was yelling and hollering while dad was chatting on this phone - blissfully unaware of his wife's kid's plight. Finally he snaps out of it and yells "Hay!" and runs around to the sliding doors, where his kid and mom were yelping in the middle of a crowd of 30 other befuddled lookers-on. Mind you the store was absolutely packed and the lines were long. Then the nice lady in front of me decides to separate her two buggies full of food into three separate purchases. Ugh. The she pays with some kind of card that you keep in the machine instead of just swiping it. "Perhaps she should change banks", I thought to myself. Much to my frustration, on this particular evening, the card reader for her strange card decided to retire for the night. So it would not read her card. Ugh. After 9 minutes of meddling with it, some manager finally came over (she had to navigate through a barrage of people arguing about the kids hand) and pressed a few secret buttons and the card reader finally worked. Then for her second purchase, she again inserts the card, and decides to proceed counting a large quantity of loose coins. So this goes on for about 6 minutes all the while the cashier had to repeatedly inform the lady that Chuck E Cheese tokens are not valid at HEB...

But wait, it gets better. For her third purchase we go through all the same rigamarole, then finally her purchase is complete. Then one (out of 6) of her kids reports she does not like whole milk. So now mom wants to exchange it. Ugh. I suggested to Susan that she ask the lady to wait to the side so that I can be rung up. The lady's husband muttered something in another language and both the lady and Susan welcomed this groundbreaking innovation with open arms, stuffed buggies, and broken card readers.

Finally, I completed my transaction, and rolled right on out of there. Whilst loading my groceries into my car, I noticed that the lady in front of me in the check out line was parked next to me. She managed to cram her 2 buggies of food, 6 kids, and her hubby (speaking in a different language I could not understand - he had one of those Budweiser spicy michelada beers in his hand - opened already) into their new Lincoln Navigator - with 22" spinners mind you.

Later when I got home, while meditating, I contemplated becoming upset. I noticed that Susan forgot to credit me for some nacho cheese sauce (buy 1 get 4 free deal). Instead of getting furious, I concluded from now on, I will shop only at the HEB Buffalo.

Either way, I cannot bring myself to shop at Krogers or Randalls or whatever. Ugh.

Well, just to balance things out, I'll point out that I shop at an HEB close to work, and a Kroger close to home. Some days, some items in HEB are cheaper. Other days, some items in Kroger are cheaper.

And, there are more hispanics in the HEB (as if that mattered)...and more oversized pickups like yours crowding the parking lot as well. So, Ugh back at ya.

Well, just to balance things out, I'll point out that I shop at an HEB close to work, and a Kroger close to home. Some days, some items in HEB are cheaper. Other days, some items in Kroger are cheaper.

And, there are more hispanics in the HEB (as if that mattered)...and more oversized pickups like yours crowding the parking lot as well. So, Ugh back at ya.

It has been my experience that HEB has consistently lower prices.

As for the hispanics remark... ?

The truck was left at home. On this particular evening I was driving my girlfriend's SMART car. Needless to say, I felt pretty dumb. I'm taking it back and getting her something else. Most likely an F-150.

Next thread, Food Town vs Fiesta vs Mi Tienda vs Food Fair vs etc.....

I don't really care (or know) about them that much...it was mostly my reactions at seeing H-E-B go against Randalls in a city where there was none. Well, like I said, there was a Randalls, but it closed 12 years ago.

Edited by IronTiger

I don't really care (or know) about them that much...it was mostly my reactions at seeing H-E-B go against Randalls in a city where there was none. Well, like I said, there was a Randalls, but it closed 12 years ago.

For good reason. They are overprice to the point where it's difficult not to be insulted the way the workers manage to keep a straight face when they are ringing you up.

I prefer HEB and now that I have moved I have a decent-sized one nearby (much better than the ex-Pantry in Bellaire) and there's a Foodarama even closer. I had never been to one but it was alright. Both convenient and Texas based which is good in my book.

One of the best things about Houston is the grocery store competition.

Living in San Antonio, one thing I really disliked was that it was an HEB company town. The old Handy Andys shut down, Albertons didn't last, Kroger, Safeway/Randalls did not dare expand there--with the exception of Whole Foods and Sun Harvest (which was like the original, small Whole Foods when only hippies shopped there) there was no place to shop but HEB. And while I like them a lot for fresh foods, they have an annoying tendency to not carry a lot of national brand dry goods in favor of their house brand.

Attention meat shoppers: Seller's Bros is undercutting all comers this week on pork butt at $.67 a pound. mmmm, time for some crock-pot carnitas!

One of the best things about Houston is the grocery store competition.

Living in San Antonio, one thing I really disliked was that it was an HEB company town. The old Handy Andys shut down, Albertons didn't last, Kroger, Safeway/Randalls did not dare expand there--with the exception of Whole Foods and Sun Harvest (which was like the original, small Whole Foods when only hippies shopped there) there was no place to shop but HEB. And while I like them a lot for fresh foods, they have an annoying tendency to not carry a lot of national brand dry goods in favor of their house brand.

Attention meat shoppers: Seller's Bros is undercutting all comers this week on pork butt at $.67 a pound. mmmm, time for some crock-pot carnitas!

Mmmm...Handy Andy. I used to visit it on the north side of San Antonio with my wife's family. They had a great bakery.

That's another reason I like Kroger because they have self check-out isles so if your just going in for a couple of items you don't get stuck in a long line behind some retard that still pays by check.    

That would be me. I always pay by check and I never use the self check-outs. If the store does not provide a checker, this retard will shop elsewhere.

That would be me. I always pay by check and I never use the self check-outs. If the store does not provide a checker, this retard will shop elsewhere.

I use them too. I have so many of the damned things, and I don't use them to pay any bills anymore, but I've paid for them... I feel some need to use them somewhere, and considering grocery stores are about the only places that even take them these days, I use them there.

I am OK with speedy checkwriters, they need love too, but it's just that ..... I've never seen one. Seriously, I could chisel my name out of stone tablets in the amount of time it takes the checkwriters I'm always trapped behind at the gulfgate heeb. I find I shop there less and less, because the crowds and lines and the thousands of screeching, sticky children are just too much, plus they have no self check. I rock the self check. I could win the international self-check speed contest. I can self check a cart full of non-stickered produce faster than the actual checkers. Self check should be everywhere!!

Ah, Gulfgate HEB. I think that's where the penny-lady was!

I am a self-checker-outer-debit-carder as well, though. And sticky children slow my roll.

I just roll right over sticky children. After, I have the homeless bums from new light church detail the wheels my shopping buggy as they tend to clog up from all the stickiness. ;)