Anyone know where I can find good gumbo?

It's hard to find a place (at least in my experience) in Houston that serves an authentic creole style gumbo. Given how many transplants we have from Louisiana, that seems odd. Many places I've been to serve a gumbo that is more like soup than gumbo. I'm looking for a bowl of something with a dark roux, preferably with seafood instead of just chicken and andouille sausage, not loaded with too much rice and too much okra, and without a watery consistency. Anyone know any places where I can get some real deal gumbo without crossing state lines?

It's hard to find a place (at least in my experience) in Houston that serves an authentic creole style gumbo. Given how many transplants we have from Louisiana, that seems odd. Many places I've been to serve a gumbo that is more like soup than gumbo. I'm looking for a bowl of something with a dark roux, preferably with seafood instead of just chicken and andouille sausage, not loaded with too much rice and too much okra, and without a watery consistency. Anyone know any places where I can get some real deal gumbo without crossing state lines?

It's supposed to be sort of watery, if it's too thick and soupy then they didn't do it right. Only place I know in Texas to get good gumbo is at my house.

The Reef in Texas City has a gumbo fairly close to what you are describing. I'm like you though, I miss tasting a gumbo with real dark roux. My mother made the best gumbo I can remember. It was so good it made you cry. I wish I had her receipt.

Actually.. What you described as what has been passed to you as authentic Creole gumbo sounds like exactly what authentic Cajun gumbo would be. Thin soupy roux with a medium brown color and chicken & sausage but no seafood, is as Cajun as it gets. The okra is hit or miss literally depending on the town.

I would say EVERY place I've been to in Houston that serves "authentic Cajun gumbo" has usually been passing off the Creole gumbo that you've been looking for instead. Try any of the southern Seafood houses like Pappadeaux's or Landry's.

Good luck.

I would say EVERY place I've been to in Houston that serves "authentic Cajun gumbo" has usually been passing off the Creole gumbo that you've been looking for instead. Try any of the southern Seafood houses like Pappadeaux's or Landry's.

Good luck.

Would that count Rajun Cajun as well? I've been meaning to try them out.

I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the place, but there a joint in Bacliff, right on the bay, that sells a serviceable gumbo.

Gilhooley's or something like that?

The Stingaree on Bolivar is quite good. We're also rolling into oyster season. They have something called the Oysters Jubilee that is to die for. Oysters are served about 10 different ways.

Raw, oyster gumbo, Rockefeller, Bienville, Jose, fried, sauteed...

Gilhooley's or something like that?

Possibly. I don't remember. It has a big wooden deck with a great view of the bay and a marina for boats to dock. I know that hardly separates it from about twelve other places, but that's the best I can do. The gumbo there is just good, but the shrimp etouffee is outstanding.

Possibly. I don't remember. It has a big wooden deck with a great view of the bay and a marina for boats to dock. I know that hardly separates it from about twelve other places, but that's the best I can do. The gumbo there is just good, but the shrimp etouffee is outstanding.

that's not gilhooley's. i do recommend gilhooley's though for the gumbo. it's different each time, but tasty. no kids allowed.

IMO the best gumbo (either seafood or chicken/andoulle sausage) is at Bayou Seafood just inside the loop on Richmond. Rich, dark coffee color. I had the gumbo at Gillhouleys just last week and it was ok. Typically have the Oysters Gillhouley when down that way. Only other places I know of in Bacliff are Noah's Ark and Clifton's By The Sea. Clifton's is not even close to being as good as it was before the original location burned.

IMO the best gumbo (either seafood or chicken/andoulle sausage) is at Bayou Seafood just inside the loop on Richmond. Rich, dark coffee color. I had the gumbo at Gillhouleys just last week and it was ok. Typically have the Oysters Gillhouley when down that way. Only other places I know of in Bacliff are Noah's Ark and Clifton's By The Sea. Clifton's is not even close to being as good as it was before the original location burned.

Clifton's is the place I was thinking of! Sad to hear the gumbo's not that good any longer. How's the etouffee these days?

I may give Bayou Seafood a try tonight. All this talk of gumbo is making me crave it right now.

Treebeard's at Market Square has decent gumbos at lunch for under $7. Mon - Duck, Tue & Wed - Chicken & Sausage, Thu & Fri - Seafood.

I haven't tried it, but I've been told that the gumbo at the Chronicle Deli is very good (one day a week).

It's close to dinner time and I'm wanting me some gumbo!

I forgot about Bayou. They have good seafood. Never had their gumbo.

i've had good gumbo at pappadeaux & landry's. sometimes it's watery, other times it seems thicker. it has shrimp, oysters, crab. also, floyd's in the heights used to have really good cajun fare. i haven't been in awhile so things may have changed. keep us updated on your search for the perfect gumbo.

they closed several yrs ago and moved down to nasa rd 1 and 45...southbound side. still good food.

Rumor has it that Floyd is the only remaining Landry family member of Lafayette fame still in the restaurant business. Of course Tillman has all but ruined that chain with the corporate recipes.

Bayou CIty Seafood on Richmond/610. Best gumbo IMO...the soup is served separate from the rice instead of all thrown in together.

Goode Co. Seafood has a decent seafood gumbo, and they also serve the rice separate (at least in the to-go orders - can't remember if they also do this with the dine-in ones).

• 3 weeks later...

Just a slight update for you all. I'm heading out to the Gumbo cookoff at St.Mary's Catholic church today. Perhaps I'll find that Holy Grail of gumbo at the cookoff? I'll let you know. ^_^

I just remembered that I didn't give an update. Short story, the gumbo was good. It wasn't seafood gumbo, but had sausage and chicken in it. One of the nicest bowls I've had. I still want to try others though.

I think Pappadeaux's gumbo is consistently good, for a chain restaurant. Crawfish bisque is, as well. What's up with all this chicken-sausage gumbo? I was just in New Orleans, couple weeks ago, saw it on most menus. When I think of gumbo, it's seafood or shrimp, with okra.