Houston In The 1920s

Lowbrow

i need to measure it again, but if i remember correctly it was 35.75" wide by 83.75" high. So basically a 3ft by 7ft door shaved down a quarter inch both ways. I'll take a pic and remeasure when i go to the house today (i'm still moving in). I'll definitely check out histororic houston, maybe i can buy a door there, refinish it and get it installed, then sell my current door.

Curt

There are several people in the neighborhood that might be able to "fix" your door that you have now for much cheaper than what you would pay for a different door... What all is wrong with the door you have now? I know you mentioned a mail slot, which can be fixed with a new panel on the bottom of the door (easy), you had mentioned it being "flimsy"? I'd ask around before anything.

D

P.S. I don't mind taking a look and giving my opinion on whether it can be saved. Just let me know.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe replacing the bottom panel would probably fix all the problems I have with it. But i find that because of the size of that panel, and the current material the bottom panel is flimsy.

Ah ok, so you are really talking about the thickness of the material rather than the door's joints being "flimsy"... If you look at the door's structure, it should be pretty thick. You should be able to replace that bottom panel with any thickness which would increase strength and weight of the door. I'll take a look at mine when I get home and see if I can determine the thickness. I'll post it this evening or tomorrow. Trust me when I say, if you replace that with a good thick plywood it will feel plenty sturdy.

• 5 months later...

As Sevfiv recently posted, pdf's of some of the HMRC's city directories are now available on the Houston Public Library's website.

(They are Houston city directories, and so don't have pre-annexation Heights information, but do have post-annexation Heights information.)

If you've got a valid library card number to enter, you can also access old Sanborn maps for Houston that include Heights-area locations on the library's website.

(For example, if you go to the "1924-1950" maps, and then select "vol. 6-8, 1925", and click on key sheet "0c", you'll see 1925 map sheet numbers covering Heights-area locations.)

With just these two online resources, you can do some fairly in-depth Heights historic research, which is pretty cool. Or you can do some quick and dirty Heights historic research, which is more my style. Below is a map I made this morning taking a current Google map of the area that was the Houston Heights commercial district in the 1920's, and adding to it the locations of some 1920's points of interest (key at the bottom). The information comes from the 1925 Sanborn map and/or the 1922 city directory. If you can't read the below, the original is here.

Again, it's pretty slapdash in many ways, including the following:

(1) Where there was a large concentration of small businesses, I often just bunched them together under a single number, and in such cases the number on the map may not match the physical location of all businesses listed for that number - but you should be able to tell from the addresses approximately where they were on the block.

(2) There were a lot of grocery stores and auto repair shops in this area - some are noted, some are not.

(3) Where the map and city directory diverged, I just made a random choice between one or the other.

(4) I also didn't try to include every commercial/public building I saw listed in this area, though I think I got most or all listed in concentrated areas of commercial/public buildings.

(5) The only private residences I included were the Cooley house and some Foyt family houses, for whatever reason.

(6) Add to that all my very limited graphic skills/tools.

Still, though y'all might find it interesting as an example of the kind of Heights-related information you can pull together quickly using the Sanborn maps and city directories.

4508099576_bb5e84d862_o.jpg

Looks like there were two pickle plants in this area - the Price-Booker plant and the Adam Bros. plant - though the Price-Booker plant looks like it was bigger. Saw elsewhere that there was a fire at a Price-Booker facility at the 2400 block of what is now Center Street in December 1919 - maybe the company rebuilt in the Heights?

Anne Sloan's photo book on the Heights has a picture of a Price-Booker advertisement listing some of their products. Note the "Mission" trade name. I saw here that the Texas Price-Booker company got into a fight with the California Del Monte people over that trade name. From here and there, I got the sense that Price-Booker was based in San Antonio, in which case the Mission name makes more sense.

The Heights photo book also has pictures of some of the other places I listed.

I'm interested in checking out sometime if there's anything left of the Price-Booker facility. I know I got a photo a while back of something on that block that looks newish, but I don't recall the entire block. Based on Google street view, I think there is an old facility on that block, and I think I took a photo of what looked to be its office (below). Would be neat if it was the same building from the 1920's.

3890171612_10168edf75_b.jpg

That building may, in fact, be original. It runs about half the length of the block, and, while only a few of those arched windows remain, they appear to have at one point run the entire length of the building facing 24th street (the outlines are still visible).

The Adams Bros. facility is of course gone; it's now those brick-facade houses across from the elementary school. And the remainder of the 500 block of Nicholson is part of the Sullivan Brothers development on 23rd.

• 2 years later...

I love truss bridges. It's a pity that this one had to come down, but it was past its prime. I suppose it was not cost effective to keep it in place as a pedestrian walkway as TxDOT did with the truss bridge over the San Jacinto River on the Eastex Freeway.

http://bridgehunter.com/tx/fort-bend/richmond/

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth621/m1/1/

From what I've been able to gather, the truss bridge was constructed in 1925 and served 2-way traffic until the parallel span was constructed to carry WB traffic in 1965, turning the 1925 bridge into the EB side of US 90A. Then the 1925 bridge closed in 1986 due to structural issues and the 1965 bridge served 2-way traffic for a few years. The 1925 bridge was demolished in 1988 and the current bridge was completed in 1989.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Very nice! ... Spotted the Post Bldg. 1st pic. On the rt. corner. Nice arch.

Oliver's Music, 2nd pic. (saw that in a 1926 Directory, recently)

Boston Chocolate, Eureka Laundry, Bristol Hotel, Majistic ? Cafe ( with an I)? It's blurry.& Sherwin- Williams (with the round dripping paint sign?)

Very nice! ... Spotted the Post Bldg. 1st pic. On the rt. corner. Nice arch.

Oliver's Music, 2nd pic. (saw that in a 1926 Directory, recently)

Boston Chocolate, Eureka Laundry, Bristol Hotel, Majistic ? Cafe ( with an I)? It's blurry.& Sherwin- Williams (with the round dripping paint sign?)

Neat pictures.  Everytime I see a Sherwin-Williams sign with a can of red paint coating the world I think "global environmental disaster".  I didn't realize the logo was that old.

Check out the Iris Theater sign in the bottom right photo.  It looks like it features a giant eyeball, as in EYE-ris.  

On the lower right there is what appears to be a newsboy carrying a bundle of papers out of the Houston Post building.  

The Majestic Theater in this photo was not the fantastic Majestic movie palace we all remember. The one whose sign is seen in this photo predated that one. The Italian Renaissance style movie palace opened in 1923 on Rusk just a few doors down from the one at Travis and Rusk.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to add these to Historypin.com for Houston. 

Do you have a source or citation on these photos? Are they public domain?

It's from the UofH digital Libarary at: http://digital.lib.uh.edu/collection/p15195coll2/item/194

It's in the public domain, 2nd to last item in the description. Feel free to use my cropped

photos if you would like.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston In The 1920s
  • The title was changed to Houston In The 1920s

Archived