Houston In The 1920s

Lowbrow

Yes. You can see the Customs House in front of it, as well as the Stowers Building to the left.

BTW, Texaco added onto the building at some point after this photo was taken. Anyone know when?

Here's a modern photo.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/Buildi...co_Building.php

Aha. I didn't know Texas Co. had moved. In the bird's eye view of downtown Houston in 1912 on the Hotel Cotton site the Texas Co. is shown in the 700 block of Main.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I cannot take any credit for any of this, but the sense to buy it! The previous owner reportedly took a rundown bungalow and made all these updates and changes. To me, it is a great example of how these small homes can be updated and comfortable.

I can take the credit for some updates to the landscaping, it looks totally different

myhouse2.jpg

here is what I did whith the landscaping about a year after I bought it. This is the day of the planting, it has grown in a lot since then though...

myhouse1.jpg

LOVE this kitchen!!!

inside2.jpg

so does my avatar...

inside1.jpg

inside3.jpg

this bathroom and closet and a utility room/pantry was previously a third bedroom.

newbath.jpg

original tub/bathroom with new toiled/sink and tile...

originalbath.jpg

there is also a master bedroom and front entry room that I use as a living room/dining room and a guest room that I don't have pictures of...all in about 1200 sq feet and one floor...

p.s. this was all done by the prev owner and neighboor... I can't give out either name here for their privacy, but my neighboor (now) might be interested in any carpentry work if you would want his contact information.

I cannot take any credit for any of this, but the sense to buy it! The previous owner reportedly took a rundown bungalow and made all these updates and changes. To me, it is a great example of how these small homes can be updated and comfortable.

Nice. I like the exterior color scheme and would never have expected that level of finish on the interior. What part of town are you in?

Nice. I like the exterior color scheme and would never have expected that level of finish on the interior. What part of town are you in?

thanks. I'm thinking a sagey or yellowish color for a repaint though. this is in the woodland heights area, but not proper, a later addition...

is the color in the kitchen eggplant? I think it works well with the exterior, which looks great as is!

Yes, it is purple. It really makes some of the color in the granite pop. There isn't much wall space in the kitchen, so it doesn't make it dark. prev owner also did all the painting...I really lucked out.

Part of the problem with that exterior is the maroon trim, it perfectly matches my maroon car, which perfectly matches my Aggie sticker!!! I look like a phsyco aggie! :D

and Thanks groovehouse, That island range really has opened a new world, I don't always have my back to the world when I'm cooking something. During parties, it is always surrounded by people just chatting...

That island range really has opened a new world, I don't always have my back to the world when I'm cooking something. During parties, it is always surrounded by people just chatting...

So cool! B)

Do you know what would've been great with your range? One of these! :wub:

Would the rehabbers of this house be interested in doing this with other properties as an investment? If so, I wholesale 25 to 30 deals monthly throughout the city. I get a lot of deals similar to this bungalow in the Heights area. Here is a brief rundown on how it works.

House worth 260k

Buy it for 170k

Rehab it with 35k

Closing costs 13.5k

Spread 41.5k (give or take)

Feel free to check out our website at www.realnetusa.com for more information. I can be reached by phone at 281-814-0665 or email at jeff.mazzolini@realnetusa.com.

Thanks!!

It looks like your dog has a knife in yer avatar. I think its just its tail, however.

OH NO! :lol::lol::lol::lol: ROFL. It is a tail. I thought that dog was holding a bucknife in it's mouth. :blush::lol::lol::lol:^_^

This WHOLE TIME I thought that was a great pic, because Beagles are soooo smart. I thought you got him/her to pose that way. Man, jm1, you ruined it for me ! Damn You !

OH NO! :lol::lol::lol::lol: ROFL. It is a tail. I thought that dog was holding a bucknife in it's mouth. :blush::lol::lol::lol:^_^

This WHOLE TIME I thought that was a great pic, because Beagles are soooo smart. I thought you got him/her to pose that way. Man, jm1, you ruined it for me ! Damn You !

Tail? Sure is. I always thought it was a cigarette and cigarette holder. :D

It looks like your dog has a knife in yer avatar. I think its just its tail, however.

OMG! :D TOO FUNNY! it kills me that several of you thought so...

I am now on a mission...just have to figure out how to make a knife taste like pizza....

• 2 months later...
Quoting the prices above:

House worth 260k

Buy it for 170k

Rehab it with 35k

Closing costs 13.5k

You can't get much rehab for $35K. That's barely enough for a good kitchen. Figure more like $100k for a good quality renovation.

Oh, don't mind that jmazz guy. He was just a transient advertising troll.

• 4 weeks later...
Quoting the prices above:

House worth 260k

Buy it for 170k

Rehab it with 35k

Closing costs 13.5k

You can't get much rehab for $35K. That's barely enough for a good kitchen. Figure more like $100k for a good quality renovation.

I respectfully disagree.

I respectfully disagree.

In my opinion..... Anyone who thinks you can renovate a house (even a small one) for $35,000 in labor in materials is either lying to themselves or buying the cheapest materials available at home depot and hiring the cheapest labor regardless of quality.

Either that, or you aren't really "renovating" but rather redecorating or just swapping out some fixtures.

flipper

In my opinion..... Anyone who thinks you can renovate a house (even a small one) for $35,000 in labor in materials is either lying to themselves or buying the cheapest materials available at home depot and hiring the cheapest labor regardless of quality.

Either that, or you aren't really "renovating" but rather redecorating or just swapping out some fixtures.

flipper

I'd have to side with TAK on this one. You can do quite a bit if you do it yourself and use higher quality materials because of the money you saved. If you don't do anything yourself, well then price rises considerably. while i've reached a mental block on my kitchen remodel, I've had house rewired, replumbed (water and gas), new hvac, leveled foundation (replaced rotten beams, etc), splurged on light fixtures, added gutters and underground drainage system, splurged on bathroom fixtures, wood floors refinished,insulated walls/attic, restored trim work and have spent about 20k.

For the cometic changes like switching out fixtures/fans/painting/redecorating, if anyone paid 35k, then they got the shaft!

• 11 months later...

Archived