America Tower: Office Skyscraper At 2929 Allen Pkwy.

jm1fd

How much are they looking to spend? Do they want an old house? Do they mind transitional areas? Would they like to be closer to town, and just send the kids to private school?

Most of the older neighborhoods don't have good schools...but then again, you can get a really nice house, close in, in a older area for not much money, and send the brats to private school.

They would like to spend $130,000 to $165,000. They would also like their child to go to public school. They don't mind an older house and in fact love the trees that come along with them. New is fine too. They would like to keep the commute under 40 minutes if possible. As I said earlier some have mentioned neighborhoods off Hardy Toll Road and also the Humble/Kingwood area. Any info on these areas? Thanks for any input you may have.

what size home? with the price range you gave, this could be quite a challenge

i would also agree with renting before buying, to get a better feel for the city (and whether or not sitting in the car for 39 minutes a trip is actually what they want).

Edited by sevfiv

Summerwood is your best bet in that price range. And the schools are decent and zone to the new high school.

Getting out of Summerwoodl is can be tricky. It may take you 20 mintues to get to the Eastex P&R.

So from there you are looking at an hour commute, but only have to drive 20 minutes of it.

what size home? with the price range you gave, this could be quite a challenge

i would also agree with renting before buying, to get a better feel for the city (and whether or not sitting in the car for 39 minutes a trip is actually what they want).

Yeah. It's a very specific house hunt as far as location, price, and school. They don't have very specific wishes as far as size goes. A 3 to 4 bedroom would be preferable, but square footage can be as low as 1500 to 1700 square feet and as high as they can afford. They are pretty sure of the commute time as they commute that much now. Ofcourse they would love for it to be less, but schools are much more important in their priority list as they can't afford private school. Thanks again for all your help.

Summerwood is your best bet in that price range. And the schools are decent and zone to the new high school.

Getting out of Summerwoodl is can be tricky. It may take you 20 mintues to get to the Eastex P&R.

So from there you are looking at an hour commute, but only have to drive 20 minutes of it.

What about driving the whole way? How would the commute be then? I have heard Fall Creek is 30 minutes. How much farther is Summerwood? I have heard that it is a bear to get out of Summerwood. I guess at least the trees will give you shade as you make the neighborhood exit! :) . I will pass this info onto them. I appreciate it!

Yeah. It's a very specific house hunt as far as location, price, and school. They don't have very specific wishes as far as size goes. A 3 to 4 bedroom would be preferable, but square footage can be as low as 1500 to 1700 square feet and as high as they can afford.

where in the world are they moving from?

4br for that price range with a low commute AND good schools is asking for quite a bit.

i reiterate, rent first or they will regret it later, trust me on this.

Is the Summerwood commute any better if they head south on BW 8 to I-10? Looks to me like its 30 miles along that route to downtown. Seems like it'd be easy enough.

where in the world are they moving from?

4br for that price range with a low commute AND good schools is asking for quite a bit.

i reiterate, rent first or they will regret it later, trust me on this.

Yes they are considering renting, but they have a child in school with special needs, who requires as little change as possible. They were hoping to get as close to a potential neighborhood as possible as to not make the child change schools again. If they can find a neighborhood that they are happy with they can eliminate more change by moving directly into a home instead of renting and then moving again. They are moving from San Antonio. Again, I agree with you that renting would be smart in most cases, but in this one avoiding it, if possible, would be preferable.

Also, 4bdrms , low commute, and their lower price range is the perfect scenario, but ofcourse we all know you can't get everything and work near downtown Houston. They are very realistic about this. The two things that are most important are 1. schools, and 2. their upper budget of $165,000 or maybe $170,000. Commute and size of home can vary as much as it needs to within reason. Thanks for your input.

Ditto to Midtown Coog.

I don't know anymore what it is to drive; it's been a while since I lived there. I have heard that it is wonderful now that the expansion is finished. Good luck, if your friend needs help looking in Kingwood, send 'em my way ;)

I'd have to agree that the commute from Kingwood is MUCH better than any other subburb in the region. Up until 7am, it's quite possible to reach downtown from Kingwood BLVD to downtown in about 30 minutes. After that, you're taking some serious chances. the HOV is one of the least congested in the city (due to an excellent design).

The only issue would be WHERE in Kingwood to move into as well at what stage the construction is in in the area.

I'd have to agree that the commute from Kingwood is MUCH better than any other subburb in the region. Up until 7am, it's quite possible to reach downtown from Kingwood BLVD to downtown in about 30 minutes. After that, you're taking some serious chances. the HOV is one of the least congested in the city (due to an excellent design).

The only issue would be WHERE in Kingwood to move into as well at what stage the construction is in in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Riviana Foods has moved out of its building as workings have taken down the sign of the ediface snd by the elevators. It now simply reads "2777 Allen Parkway" by the elevators and the numbers 2777 are the only things on the building.

As for renovating Woodson, I think they've done a pretty good job. The completed floors are open and airy as opposed to dark and dingy as they were before.

• 14 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, answered.

2929 Allen Parkway (AIG formerly America Tower)
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseLocDetail.jsp?pageNumToReturn=1&keyLoc=14681311&licKey=1836847

Terrain elevation 18.0m or 59'

Mast 207.0m or 679'
Mast 208.0m HAAT (height above average terrain in a larger radius than the immediate site's terrain -- makes sense since downtown is about 10' lower at 49'), indicating that the 207.0 meter height is not measured above mean sea level but above the ground onsite here.

Edited by strickn
Sea level clarification
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to American General Center
  • The title was changed to America Tower: Office Skyscraper At 2929 Allen Pkwy.
  • 7 months later...

They are removing the AIG sign. AIG merged with Corebridge Financial.

Corebridge Financial Announces $150 Million Share Repurchase from AIG and Blackstone

12/14/2023

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Corebridge Financial, Inc. (NYSE: CRBG) (“Corebridge”) today announced that it entered into a share repurchase agreement (the “Share Repurchase Agreement”) with American International Group, Inc. (“AIG”) and an affiliate of Blackstone Inc. (“Blackstone”) on December 14, 2023, pursuant to which it will repurchase an aggregate of $150 million of Corebridge common stock (the “Share Repurchase”). Of the $150 million, approximately $135 million will be repurchased from AIG and approximately $15 million will be repurchased from Blackstone. The Share Repurchase is expected to close on December 18, 2023, subject to customary closing conditions.

https://www.corebridgefinancial.com

reddit u/dwalk888 posted this pic on reddit/houston.

9m1nz7G.jpeg

Is Corebridge Financial part of AIG?

In September 2022, we became Corebridge Financial, Inc., a standalone, publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange and are no longer a division of AIG. We remain one of the largest providers of retirement and insurance solutions in the US. We were formerly a division of AIG known as AIG Life and Retirement.

• 3 weeks later...

"Corebridge Financial is one of the largest and most established providers of retirement solutions and insurance products in the United States. We are proudly headquartered in Houston and have been at the America Tower for four decades. We’ve begun work to place the Corebridge name at the top of the America Tower later this year. It’s one of the city’s landmark buildings, and we’re very excited," a Corebridge spokesperson told Chron.

https://www.chron.com/business/article/aig-tower-houston-removed-18927069.php#

• Like 2

IIRC, it was still the Continental Airlines building at the time. 
I thought it was funny that southbound Southwest Airlines flights made their sharp left turn over this building on their way to Hobby... It's like they were buzzing the competition.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiller replacement permit. Last time they replaced the chiller I got to see the 5 States Helicopters from and distance as it was flying the parts up. When I finally rode my way over they had finished up and were about to leave. May 12th, 2019 was the date when I took the pic of the helicopter.

szct3LS.png

XRmI6gA.jpeg