Smoothie King At 913 Westheimer Rd.

Anjie0301

Hi. I was just driving past there tonight and I noticed that the Taco Cabana was empty. It was also no longer bright pink, but painted beige instead. Does anyone know if it's closed or just being remodeled?

(ps, sorry if this has been discussed in a prior thread)

ty

-Anjie.

It was a tinier TC location. It got all lot of riff-raff late at night.

Einstein Bagels is a better choice.

That TC has been there a long, long, long time. And if anything, it got a lot less sketchy over the last few years. I'm mixed about seeing it go. It's not so much that I will miss the food at TC, but if they are going to change it I wish they'd put in something better than Einstein's bagels. How bout a Krystal's to compete with Little Big's? That way the yuppies and the riff raff could have mutually exclusive miniture hamgurger stands.

The lot is so small... there is no parking at all (<5 spots).

I dont think Einstein is making a smart move. If anything, go into the old Blockbuster building if you want more visibility. At least that lot has parking included.

Oooh, that would have been a good idea :) .

When I first saw this thread I was worried the building would sit empty. Then we would have an empty Blockbuster, Felix, and Taco Cabana all on the same corner. It seems kind of like a weird place for Einstein Bagels to move to. Why are they moving into a smaller location? Maybe cheaper rent?

That TC has been there a long, long, long time. And if anything, it got a lot less sketchy over the last few years. I'm mixed about seeing it go. It's not so much that I will miss the food at TC, but if they are going to change it I wish they'd put in something better than Einstein's bagels. How bout a Krystal's to compete with Little Big's? That way the yuppies and the riff raff could have mutually exclusive miniture hamgurger stands.

Taco Cabana (and, I think, Two Pesos before that) has been there for 20-something years. Before that, there was a pretty decent barbecue place in that location which opened in the early 80s. The name escapes me even though I used to eat there all the time - I think it was something like Texas Barbecue House. After a few years, they moved to a new location on Stella Link before eventually closing down.

Taco Cabana (and, I think, Two Pesos before that) has been there for 20-something years. Before that, there was a pretty decent barbecue place in that location which opened in the early 80s. The name escapes me even though I used to eat there all the time - I think it was something like Texas Barbecue House. After a few years, they moved to a new location on Stella Link before eventually closing down.

Correct, sir (or ma'am). I remember that barbeque place, and it was all too short-lived.

So long as something moves in, and gets rid of that obnoxious beige paint. This is one of the very few locations where I'd encourage tagging. C'mon, graffiti artists! Don't let the presence of HPD across the street slow you down!

(Think they'll fall for it?)

Smoothie King makes more since than Einsteins. However, how accurate can an article be when Houston Press states that they will move from Westheimer and Hawthorne? Dude, those streets run parallel.

Two Pesos > Taco Cabana.

The judge who ruled in the case that shut Two Pesos down is a dick.

Amen. Much preferred Two Pesos.

If they were going to shut them down for that reason then they should do the same with either of:

Office Depot/Office Max/Staples

Home Depot/Lowes

Sam's Club/Costco

Each looks the same as the others and I forget which one I'm in when I'm in one of them.

Amen. Much preferred Two Pesos.

If they were going to shut them down for that reason then they should do the same with either of:

Office Depot/Office Max/Staples

Home Depot/Lowes

Sam's Club/Costco

Each looks the same as the others and I forget which one I'm in when I'm in one of them.

I totally agree. His reasoning for shutting down Two Pesos was lame. I am sure there was some $$$ under the table on that one. Seriously, how much difference is there between Burger King and McDonald's? Subway and Blimpie? Pizza Hut and Pizza Inn?

I think I recall reading that the judge actually commented on the "bright" color scheme of both restaurants and that they both offered drive-thrus as to why Two Pesos was a knock off! I miss the baby blue of the Two.

Dirk's is from the name of the guy that owned the Diedrich franchise here. He either ended his franchise agreement or Diedrich's stopped doing franchises (can't remember).

There's also a Dirk's on the Rice campus, too (in the new Brochstein Pavilion, nicely competing with the nearby Rice coffeehouse :rolleyes: ).

edit - to the OP, off-topic, I played mahjongg for the first time yesterday and I'm hooked...!

I totally agree. His reasoning for shutting down Two Pesos was lame. I am sure there was some $$$ under the table on that one. Seriously, how much difference is there between Burger King and McDonald's? Subway and Blimpie? Pizza Hut and Pizza Inn?

I think I recall reading that the judge actually commented on the "bright" color scheme of both restaurants and that they both offered drive-thrus as to why Two Pesos was a knock off! I miss the baby blue of the Two.

There was a maverick Two Pesos below Greenway Plaza for a long time after the case. I don't think the TC enforcers knew it was there. And apparently not enough customers did either because it's gone. But for awhile anyway, Two Pesos lived on....

Dirk's is from the name of the guy that owned the Diedrich franchise here. He either ended his franchise agreement or Diedrich's stopped doing franchises (can't remember).

There's also a Dirk's on the Rice campus, too (in the new Brochstein Pavilion, nicely competing with the nearby Rice coffeehouse :rolleyes: ).

edit - to the OP, off-topic, I played mahjongg for the first time yesterday and I'm hooked...!

there is an ongoing group of players of mahjong at the demitasse cafe each thursday around 11 am-------

there is an ongoing group of players of mahjong at the demitasse cafe each thursday around 11 am-------

I am also hooked on mahjong--- the owners of House of Te--apparently wrote a book on chinese rules and regularly host games at their restaurant--they have a special folding table and mahjong sets to "borrow"-- most games sunday afternoon

back on topic-- the Avondale Association is hosting a spokesperson of blueprint houston tonite at their regular residents meetings and she might have more information on what is to be expected of the taco cabana location-- since blueprint houston is hosting the charette on the intersection of montrose and westheimer--