Cineplex Odeon Theater At 1450 W. Gray St.

Highway6

Whatever happened to the old Cineplex Odeon that was somewhere in River Oaks?

Was it torn down or is it being used today as something else? Where was it exactly ?

I know this has zero to to with this particular theatre thread, but i didnt want to start a new thread for one question and i figure sevfiv, you probably know the answer.

• Like 1

Was it torn down or is it being used today as something else? Where was it exactly ?

I know this has zero to to with this particular theatre thread, but i didnt want to start a new thread for one question and i figure sevfiv, you probably know the answer.

It wasn't all that old, really. It was on West Gray near Waugh where the FIT gym and Marshalls are currently.

edit: it went up in the late 80s and was still there when I left in 1995. Not sure when they tore it down to build the strip center.

Edited by crunchtastic

Any idea when it was razed? That location looks right.. I always liked that theatre growing up. Quiet, clean, no loud children running around. And even though the Edwards does the same thing now, i think that was the first one I remember having the mural of all the old movie stars... and that was cool seeing that as a kid.

Anyways.. thanks to both of you for the info.

Edited by Highway6

It wasn't all that old, really. It was on West Gray near Waugh where the FIT gym and Marshalls are currently.

edit: it went up in the late 80s and was still there when I left in 1995. Not sure when they tore it down to build the strip center.

In late '89 or early '90 I had a friend who lived on the southwest corner of Waugh and W Clay (the building is still there), and they had just started moving dirt for River Oaks Center. The Cineplex was part of the initial development. Unfortunately for them, theater design changed in the mid-90s to incorporate stadium-style seating, plush seats, cup holders, etc.; the Cineplex was considered obsolete practically before the paint was dry, and was demolished sometime around 2000.

Edit: Not sure why this took so long to post.

Another thing: anyone know why practically the whole block between Waugh and Dunlavy (on W Gray) had never been developed? Seems like I remember cows being pastured there in the early 80s. Seriously.

Any idea when it was razed?

2002:

Trammell Crow Co. -- owner of the 178,00-square-foot property located near the posh Houston neighborhood for which the center is named -- has inked a deal with discount clothing retailer Marshalls to join the other national tenants in the high-profile center.

Located near the corner of West Gray and Waugh Drive, River Oaks Plaza is home to clothing retailer T.J. Maxx (also owned by Framingham, Mass.-based Marshalls Inc.), Office Max, Luby's, Souper Salad and Cafe Express.

Trammell Crow's Liz Jacobs leased the space to Marshalls.

She says since the theater closed, interest in the shopping center's vacant space has been high.

[...]

The theater was one of the original tenants in the center, which opened in 1990.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...ewscolumn3.html

Another thing: anyone know why practically the whole block between Waugh and Dunlavy (on W Gray) had never been developed? Seems like I remember cows being pastured there in the early 80s. Seriously.

So as to not hijack the thread, I guess one could say this place was near the movie theatre. I remember about the same time frame the theatre was open, going to a bar on west dallas just west of waugh, called the aquarium lounge.

Is my brain hopelessly addled? Does anyone else remember?

So as to not hijack the thread, I guess one could say this place was near the movie theatre. I remember about the same time frame the theatre was open, going to a bar on west dallas just west of waugh, called the aquarium lounge.

Is my brain hopelessly addled? Does anyone else remember?

yep, didn't they sell out for some townhomes? i did find this old article.

EDIT: looks like they put some blame on the bike lanes.

Edited by musicman

I used to go to this theater as a kid and my earlier teens. I remember seeing such films as Independence Day (after the die down of all the hype) and Titanic. I think the last movie I saw there was that terrible remake of Godzilla...

All this back when a movie was $4.50 and that seemed like a lot even then ^_^

It was a little out of the way though, so I stopped going, Edwards Grand Palace is so much closer so started going there instead.

As I recall, there was an old doughnut shop with a neon ring (like a doughnut) on the corner of Dunlavy and W. Gray, in the area that later became the Cineplex Odeon center. I went to the movies there once when I had a coupla hours to kill; unfortunately I was in black tie. (long story) I went to see the movie "Defending Your Life" which had received good reviews, and about 15 minutes into the movie, the projector died. They wound up giving us refunds and of course everyone thought I was a theatre employee (even though none of them were in anything resembling black tie.) This was the only inside-the-loop first-run movie alternative back those days. Don't remember the cows, exactly, but I can kinda believe it. That would be a cool thread, by the way -- the most "urban" sightings of cattle in the Houston area. Not counting the Cow Parade ones. :)

yep, didn't they sell out for some townhomes? i did find this old article.

EDIT: looks like they put some blame on the bike lanes.

Ah, yes. Memories. Never forget one year, for Moonlight Ramble we parked at my office garage and our little group decided to go to the Aquarium for some drinks before going down Memorial for the ride. Except we hung out there for about 3 hours. Mistake! Me and my brother could hardly make it to the race start, then fell and got rode over twice in the first hour, and barely limped along to finish. And this on a slow ride notorious for inebriated people. Loved the Aquarium! The people there wondered why 5 drunk idiots were on bicycles in funny shorts.

on topic edit: I saw Silence of the Lambs at the Odeon, it was chilly and rainy and late and I was by myself, and all those things combined to really creep me out. It was a long scary walk through the parking lot to my car.

Edited by crunchtastic

Ah, yes. Memories. Never forget one year, for Moonlight Ramble we parked at my office garage and our little group decided to go to the Aquarium for some drinks before going down Memorial for the ride. Except we hung out there for about 3 hours. Mistake! Me and my brother could hardly make it to the race start, then fell and got rode over twice in the first hour, and barely limped along to finish. And this on a slow ride notorious for inebriated people. Loved the Aquarium!
it was always interesting...guess i don't remember it on washington.

Last movie I saw there was Gladiator. I wish it was still there; I don't like paying for parking at the Edwards in Greenway Plaza, and the Marquee Edwards has too many screaming teenagers.

Used to frequent the Odeon for church youth group outings.

Edwards Greenway used to be great... the punks and teenagers have finally discovered it in force.. There no longer is any decent theater in the loop for adults.

Why doesn't AMC or Edwards start a new 18+ or 21+ theater concept?

Edited by Highway6

As I recall, there was an old doughnut shop with a neon ring (like a doughnut) on the corner of Dunlavy and W. Gray, in the area that later became the Cineplex Odeon center.

That wasn't just "an old doughnut shop". That was the sacred Shipley's Diner. You could order a steaming bowl of delicious chili and a chocolate glazed at the same time. Talk about dunking ecstasy!

I went to the movies there once when I had a coupla hours to kill; unfortunately I was in black tie. (long story) I went to see the movie "Defending Your Life" which had received good reviews, and about 15 minutes into the movie, the projector died.

A similar thing happened to me. I went to see "Thelma & Louise" there, and about an hour in the projector died. But it did not go gentle into that good night, no, it produced the 2nd most deafening sound I've ever heard: a continuous triangle wave around 400 hz, at maybe 130 db, that drove everyone from the theater. None of the employees knew how to fix it; the projectionist was not on site.

(The most deafening sound I've ever heard was a sonic boom from one of the Thunderbirds jets, diving straight at me and pulling out of it at a very low altitiute while I sat on the sidewalk in front of a record shop near Baybrook Mall. That sounded like the end of the world.)

Edwards Greenway used to be great... the punks and teenagers have finally discovered it in force.. There no longer is any decent theater in the loop for adults.

I frequently go to the Edwards Greenway and I've never seen a "punk" there. I've seen some teenagers, but not many, and they weren't doing anything odd.

I frequently go to the Edwards Greenway and I've never seen a "punk" there. I've seen some teenagers, but not many, and they weren't doing anything odd.

teenager was synonymous with punk. 12 yr olds running around. a dozen kids loafing sitting in the middle of the main stairs. the last 10 times I've been there on a weekend over the past year +, 50 loud teenagers, all loud and all in the way.

2-3 years ago... completely different story. It really was like nobody under 18 had heard of the place yet.

Edited by Highway6

teenager was synonymous with punk. 12 yr olds running around. a dozen kids loafing sitting in the middle of the main stairs. the last 10 times I've been there on a weekend over the past year +, 50 loud teenagers, all loud and all in the way.

2-3 years ago... completely different story. It really was like nobody under 18 had heard of the place yet.

Weird. That's where I see most first run films, and I've never seen anything like that there.

What's indecent about Landmark River Oaks? What's indecent about Angelika?

Edwards Greenway has plenty of teenagers, but I've never experienced a hooligan, and I go there quite a bit. Your experience is an anomaly.

Nothing is indecent about them.. they're great. And next time I want to see an indie film or have my choices limited to half a dozen, I'll go to one of them. But as far as seeing the new Underworld this past weekend, my now typical experience at Edwards has solidified that there no longer is a decent mainstream theatre in town that isn't now local loafing grounds. This didn't used to be the case.

I wish it were an anomaly. Last dozen weekend trips there have all been the same. I will give them credit that so far the running about and noise has been confined to the lobby and main stairs and not typically during the movie...... yet.

Edited by Highway6

Nothing is indecent about them.. they're great. And next time I want to see an indie film or have my choices limited to half a dozen, I'll go to one of them. But as far as seeing the new Underworld this past weekend, my now typical experience at Edwards has solidified that there no longer is a decent mainstream theatre in town that isn't now local loafing grounds. This didn't used to be the case.

I wish it were an anomaly. Last dozen weekend trips there have all been the same. I will give them credit that so far the running about and noise has been confined to the lobby and main stairs and not typically during the movie...... yet.

I think I see. Is "Underworld" typical of the films you see? Perhaps you just have film tastes that are similar to those of "punks" and are destined to encounter them as long as that is true.

I think I see. Is "Underworld" typical of the films you see? Perhaps you just have film tastes that are similar to those of "punks" and are destined to encounter them as long as that is true.

I knew that judgmental movie elitist BS was coming.

If i want to see something besides Milk, RiverOaks is out... and if I wanna have more than 2-3 times a day to choose seeing a mainstream new release, Angelika is usually out of the question.

Regardless, the actual movie I saw is of no consequence since I already said the rowdiness had been in the lobby and affects the entire theater. I also stated that it had not yet reached the actual movie being shown. I could have chosen to see Slumdog, or Benjamin Button there and I still would have had to dodge obnoxious and loud teenagers all over the common areas.

Let me guess... now you're going to criticize the time and day I choose to see movies ?

Your comment was pretty obnoxious. Anyone that chooses to see a mainstream movie should not just have to accept a poor movie experience. And the entire point of going down this avenue of thought was that up until a few years ago, they didn't have to. The Edwards was immune from the suburban AMC disease. This is no longer the case.

Edited by Highway6

I knew that judgmental movie elitist BS was coming.

If i want to see something besides Milk, RiverOaks is out... and if I wanna have more than 2-3 times a day to choose seeing a mainstream new release, Angelika is usually out of the question.

Regardless, the actual movie I saw is of no consequence since I already said the rowdiness had been in the lobby and affects the entire theater. I also stated that it had not yet reached the actual movie being shown. I could have chosen to see Slumdog, or Benjamin Button there and I still would have had to dodge obnoxious and loud teenagers all over the common areas.

Let me guess... now you're going to criticize the time and day I choose to see movie ?

Your comment was pretty obnoxious. Anyone that chooses to see a mainstream movie should not just have to accept a poor movie experience. And the entire point of going down this avenue of thought was that up until a few years ago, they didn't have to. The Edwards was immune from the suburban AMC disease. This is no longer the case.

Chill out. I've got nothing against "Underworld". My post was not judging you, just offering a possible explanation for our different experiences.

Nothing is indecent about them.. they're great.

You stated that they were not decent. You stated that all theaters inside the Loop were not decent for adults.

Edwards Greenway is full of kids from West U. 16 year olds with their own sport utility vehicles and etc. Not thugs. Where do you think the West U kids went years back? They certainly weren't driving all the way to MarqE. They've been there all along. Edwards Greenway was never this adult utopia you're imagining.

Edited by kylejack

I remember seeing "Vertigo" there back in the mid 90s. Cool experience.

I'm sure it was. I remember seeing "Vertigo", "Rear Window","The Man Who Knew Too Much","North By Northwest", and "To Catch A Thief" at the River Oaks Theater in the mid 80s. Back when they were a rep theatre and they were doing a late-Hitchcock mini-festival. That, my friend, was a life-changing experience.

Chill out. I've got nothing against "Underworld". My post was not judging you, just offering a possible explanation for our different experiences.

How was "Is "Underworld" typical of the films you see? Perhaps you just have film tastes that are similar to those of "punks"" not judgmental and a put down ?

You stated that they were not decent. You stated that all theaters inside the Loop were not decent for adults.

I did not say that Riveroaks and Angelika were indecent.

I stated that there was not a decent theater in the loop. I was implying mainstream theater.

Upon you mentioning those two theaters, I corrected myself in post 22. Since you did not catch that I was referring to mainstream theaters only, I spelled it out that I was.

I did not, after you brought up those 2 theaters, say they were not decent. I did state that as far as trying to catch a mainstream flick, they don't count.

Edwards Greenway is full of kids from West U. 16 year olds with their own sport utility vehicles and etc. Not thugs.

Exactly my point. This statement would not have been true 2-3 years ago. But now the non-thug teenagers that up unto this point had not heard of this theater, flock in herds of 50 in the lobby and loaf on the central stair and run around like teenagers.

They've been there all along. Edwards Greenway was never this adult utopia you're imagining.

Yes it was. 3 years ago, teenagers were still there, but the % of adults there far outweighed them so they behaved. They didn't run around. The lobby was peaceful on the weekends. And certainly they didnt camp out on the main stairs.

Edited by Highway6

How was "Is "Underworld" typical of the films you see? Perhaps you just have film tastes that are similar to those of "punks"" not judgmental and a put down ?

I don't see a judgement in that. Does it feel that way because I quoted your use of the term "punks"? Or do you feel insecure about enjoying films like "Underworld"? I'm not saying that's a bad film to like (I may watch it someday, and enjoy a lot of films that teenagers also enjoy) or that you're a bad person for liking it. I really thought that might be a reason we have had such different experiences at that theater.

Exactly my point. This statement would not have been true 2-3 years ago. But now the non-thug teenagers that up unto this point had not heard of this theater, flock in herds of 50 in the lobby and loaf on the central stair and run around like teenagers.

What "central stair" are you talking about? The stairs outside the box office, between the two escalators?

I did not say that Riveroaks and Angelika were indecent.

I stated that there was not a decent theater in the loop. I was implying mainstream theater.

Upon you mentioning those two theaters, I corrected myself in post 22. Since you did not catch that I was referring to mainstream theaters only, I spelled it out that I was.

I did not, after you brought up those 2 theaters, say they were not decent. I did state that as far as trying to catch a mainstream flick, they don't count.

Yes it was. 3 years ago, teenagers were still there, but the % of adults there far outweighed them so they behaved. They didn't run around. The lobby was peaceful on the weekends. And certainly they didnt camp out on the main stairs.

You know, you really sound like one of those old men shaking his fist at the damn whippersnappers.

Why climb those stairs anyway? That's a huge staircase. Just use one of the escalators either right there or inside the theater. Here's the thing about teenagers: they love to hang out. Malls, movie theaters, wherever.

Edited by kylejack