CVS Pharmacy At 1003 Richmond Ave.

Houston Retail

Rumor mill has it that CVS bought the hard corner at Richmond and Montrose (where the old Shell station is) for a new store. I'm sure it will be the suburban model they built in Midtown, but if any of you are involved with planning in Montrose, now is the time to voice your opinion about the layout before its too late.

Oh goody, just what the area needs... for those people too lazy to go a few extra blocks north to the Walgreens and Eckered which are already there :)

I guess it will encourage more pedestrian activity in the neighborhood though.. It'll be easy for people for people living nearby to walk over to buy a few items...

The suburban CVS model should fit in well with that new bank across the street on the SE corner.

Just incase you guy's did not know, all Eckered stores in the southern regions of the United States have been bought by CVS. So next time you walk into a Eckered it will be CVS. The Eckerds in the northern regions of the United States were bought by a Canadian drug company.

So mabe they will stop building so many CVSs.

Voice our opinion to whom?

The planning commission? The zoning board? Surely you don't mean CVS! They're going to care about Montrose the way the Witch of the West cared about Toto.

Other than pelting the place with doggie doo-doo or home-made explosives, we're sunk. This is Houston.

Developers, that's who!

Slash and burn architecture is all the rage here. Build what you want, we don't care, just be sure to send kickbacks via City Hall.

Or just wait until my short term-limit imposed duty is over, and you can just send it to my real estate office.

I believe we are discussing the SW corner of Richmond and Montrose. I noticed the convenience store/gas tanks were surrounded by a chain link fence this morning.

While I can understand the frustration some are voicing... its not like we are losing a major architectural treasure here, folks. We are losing a convenience store and gaining a drug store (in my eyes, a new millineum edition of the convenience store). I'd just call it robbing Peter to pay Paul...

Are y'all talking about the SW or NE corner of the Richmond/Montrose intersection? I'm out of that area now, so I'm not up to date on recent developments. The NE corner Shell station was one of the most reliable auto repairs shops I've ever used. I knew I could trust those guys when I took my car there (frequently). Hopefully they're still going strong. As far as the convenient store on the SW corner, it always seemed to do brisk business, not sure why it would close down, other than rising rents...

Are y'all talking about the SW or NE corner of the Richmond/Montrose intersection?  I'm out of that area now, so I'm not up to date on recent developments.  The NE corner Shell station was one of the most reliable auto repairs shops I've ever used.  I knew I could trust those guys when I took my car there (frequently).  Hopefully they're still going strong.  As far as the convenient store on the SW corner, it always seemed to do brisk business, not sure why it would close down, other than rising rents...

It's the southwest corner. Don't worry, the Shell station is still there on the northeast corner.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this project?

Also, it's reassuring to know that we're not the only city which has issues with chain drugstores The National Trust for Historic Preservation has developed some approaches to assist people who are concerned about this kind of development.

link

Also, it's reassuring to know that we're not the only city which has issues with chain drugstores.

I think every city has had problems with massive expansion of chain drugstores the last few years. I was at a business conference two years ago and a recruiter from Walgreen's was a speaker. I've forgotten how many new stores a day they were opening at the time, but it was more than 30. That's every day all year. Now, many of those are relocations, as Walgreen's has tried to transition from their traditional strip center locations to free standing locations on major intersections. But still, with that kind of expansion, no wonder CVS is building like they are. And in other places it's not CVS and Walgreens but Rite-Aid.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I walked past this site a few days ago, and while this may be heresy, it's not as bad as I feared it would be.

Whether by accident or design, there are elements of this building which are sympathetic to other structures in the Montrose area (the arched and mullioned windows). As mentioned in a previous post, great effort has been taken to preserve the mature trees which surround this site. I also appreciate that the entrance is positioned to ease pedestrian access from Montrose (I hate walking through huge parking lots!).

It could be worse. Perhaps the complaints about the Midtown CVS didn't fall on deaf ears after all.

It's all about the community and whether they get involved. Midtown just complained and didn't get active and engage CVS. Just saying you don't what the store and they should do something isn't good enough. CVS is willing to work with the neighborhood.

I just went back home to Louisiana for Mother's day. In my home town CVS just built a huge new store nestled in 100 year old oaks on the edge of downtown. The store is similar to the Montrose one. It is also connected to a large hotel since they had the corner first.

They did keep all the trees though along Montrose.  The location looks as if it has been there for years.

Correction. They plowed every single tree on the site. The only reason they didn't mow down the trees along Montrose is because they cannot. Those trees are on the street side of the sidewalk which puts them in the city's right-of-way and they cannot be cut down. CVS sucks. I refused to shop there after the Midtown store was built because of thier total disregard for the community's efforts in Midtown. The new Montrose store is just more of the same. They will never see a dime of my hard-earned spending. That's how you vote in a city with no zoning.

Well, if it's any consolation for you jtmbin, I saw they almost dropped the "S" as they were putting it up today.

I wished I had my camera with me, the look on the poor idiots face was precious.

:D

Ricco

Considering the previous site was a gas station and an old one, the CVS is actually improving on the site. On large tree was knocked down, but hardly a clearing of the land and a forest.

Correction. They plowed every single tree on the site. The only reason they didn't mow down the trees along Montrose is because they cannot. Those trees are on the street side of the sidewalk which puts them in the city's right-of-way and they cannot be cut down.  CVS sucks. I refused to shop there after the Midtown store was built because of thier total disregard for the community's efforts in Midtown. The new Montrose store is just more of the same. They will never see a dime of my hard-earned spending. That's how you vote in a city with no zoning.

Exactly. I NEVER EVER go there. They can rot in financial hell for all of eternity.

I wonder why they build one way in Houston and another way in other cities. The only urban CVS in Houston is in downtown. We should not blame CVS, but the local politicians. It's quite sad actually that the urban planners of this city salute sprawl.

My prime example

a0ja.jpg

Archived