Tropical Storm Edouard - 2008

HtownWxBoy

Hunker down!

Oh my gosh, this is going to be fun.

Don't forget to tape your windows and then leave the tape on forever. I hate when people did that last time.

Man, I hate storms and the local news.

Every time my aunt goes out of town and I have to tend to her pool, something like this happens.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woo-hoo!

something new on Ch.13. WIND ARROWS! Never seen that effect before. :D

Now they're predicting a 1pm landfall?

Man!

BTW:

Anyone wants to put their predictions on what is going to happen?

Will TMC flood badly? Will the modifications hold? Will it derail the train, or maybe have a car get PUSHED into the train with high winds?

What portion of the population will have no Lights?

CBT broken window predictions? :)

How many "Katrina" people are heading for the hills and (hopefully) head back to N.O?

This thing is going to turn north and hit Beaumont and we're all going to be disappointed. I just feel it.

BTW - Allison wasn't bad the day it actually came on shore (Tuesday). It rained really hard but then it was over. It was the low pressure system that stalled on top of us that caused the flooding 3 days later (Friday) and it wasn't anything like what you think of when you think of a hurricane or tropical cyclone - it was just a rain storm that wouldn't stop. No wind, no circulation, nothing like that. Just a whole lot of rain all night long.

This thing is going to turn north and hit Beaumont and we're all going to be disappointed. I just feel it.

BTW - Allison wasn't bad the day it actually came on shore (Tuesday). It rained really hard but then it was over. It was the low pressure system that stalled on top of us that caused the flooding 3 days later (Friday) and it wasn't anything like what you think of when you think of a hurricane or tropical cyclone - it was just a rain storm that wouldn't stop. No wind, no circulation, nothing like that. Just a whole lot of rain all night long.

Yeah, allison was cool.

Would have been even better if I was at home instead of a blind date on the first one (in Clear Lake!) and then again (same girl) later on! So I was stuck out in that crap.

I picked a couple of lousy Days to just listen to CD's.

Everyone off the rigs!

Noble Corp. will completely evacuate two submersibles in the shallow waters of the U.S. Gulf of Mexico by this afternoon. Sixty three personnel are to be evacuated from Noble Lester Pettus on High Island Block 138, 55 miles (88.5 km) from Galveston. Forty seven crew will be evacuated from Noble Joe Alford on High Island Block 37, 35 miles (56 km) from Port Arthur.

Hercules Offshore has five rigs that the company is preparing to, or has already begun evacuating. Three more rigs are likely to be evacuated, with a further three standing by. All other Hercules rigs in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico are out of the path of the storm.

THIS.

Everyone in my office is completely freaking out. Then again, none of them are from Houston and -- for most -- this is their first experience with a "hurricane." It would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying. :rolleyes:

Work is letting out early, the building is locked until Wednesday!

See you on the flipside! :lol:

They're making us come in ... an hour late.

WTF?!?!

KHOU keeps showing the wimpy radar image and playing this ominous music. OMG .. hilarious!

Oh yeah, they drug our Dr. Neil Frank.

THIS.

Everyone in my office is completely freaking out. Then again, none of them are from Houston and -- for most -- this is their first experience with a "hurricane." It would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying. :rolleyes:

I suffered through a similar workday. I kept telling everyone this isn't going to be anything... :lol: But, people seem to enjoy being whipped up into a frenzy...

Yeah, I'd like a free day off from work too, but I still say this storm won't be a big deal...

7:00 pm bulletin...

Edouard has not strengthened appreciably...999 mb of pressure. Expected to strengthen overnight, but not to much more than Cat 1, if that.

WTNT35 KNHC 042351

TCPAT5

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 6A

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052008

700 PM CDT MON AUG 04 2008

...EDOUARD MOVING ERRATICALLY WESTWARD...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS

BRUSHING THE LOUISIANA COAST...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THE MOUTH OF THE

MISSISSIPPI RIVER WESTWARD TO PORT O'CONNOR TEXAS.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEST OF INTRACOASTAL CITY

LOUISIANA TO PORT O'CONNOR.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 700 PM CDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM EDOUARD WAS

LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 91.6 WEST OR ABOUT 125

MILES...200 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF LAFAYETTE LOUISIANA AND ABOUT

205 MILES...330 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF GALVESTON TEXAS.

EDOUARD IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 7 MPH...11 KM/HR. A TURN TO

THE WEST-NORTHWEST IS EXPECT TO OCCUR TONIGHT...AND THE CENTER OF

EDOUARD SHOULD BE VERY NEAR THE UPPER TEXAS COAST BY MIDDAY

TOMORROW. DURING THE PAST FEW HOURS...THERE HAS BEEN SOME ERRATIC

MOTION DUE TO REFORMATION OF THE CENTER.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. EDOUARD HAS NOT STRENGTHENED THIS EVENING. HOWEVER...IT IS

EXPECTED TO BE VERY NEAR HURRICANE STRENGTH BY THE TIME IT REACHES

THE COASTLINE DURING THE DAY TOMORROW.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM

FROM THE CENTER.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE

HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT WAS 999 MB...29.50 INCHES.

A STORM SURGE OF 2 TO 4 FT ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED

IN THE WARNING AREA IN AREAS OF ONSHORE WINDS.

EDOUARD IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5

INCHES IN SOME LOUISIANA COASTAL PARISHES. ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6

INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE

OVER SOUTHEASTERN TEXAS.

ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE OVER PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN LOUISIANA

AND THE UPPER TEXAS COAST TONIGHT.

REPEATING THE 700 PM CDT POSITION...28.4 N...91.6 W. MOVEMENT

TOWARD...WEST NEAR 7 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...45 MPH.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...999 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL

HURRICANE CENTER AT 1000 PM CDT.

$$

FORECASTER BEVEN

No, I just think most are being stupid about this. The center is expected to make landfall near rush hour, and Harris County is telling its employees to come to work? Houston is under a hurricane watch, and Edouard is expected to strengthen by then. The NHC has always predicted that Edouard would strengthen on the last day. People should listen to them and the Houston NWS. They're very good.

No, I just think most are being stupid about this. The center is expected to make landfall near rush hour, and Harris County is telling its employees to come to work? Houston is under a hurricane watch, and Edouard is expected to strengthen by then. The NHC has always predicted that Edouard would strengthen on the last day. People should listen to them and the Houston NWS. They're very good.

Has it been pushed that far back? I was still thinking they were predicting a 1 pm landfall. I have to travel north on I-45 around 9 pm, and I am trying to judge whether it will have passed by then. A rushhour landfall would put it in Houston at 8 or 9 pm.

Has it been pushed that far back? I was still thinking they were predicting a 1 pm landfall. I have to travel north on I-45 around 9 pm, and I am trying to judge whether it will have passed by then. A rushhour landfall would put it in Houston at 8 or 9 pm.

I'm seeing landfall at 1pm. I think he meant morning rush hour assuming the predicted landfall time from earlier this morning? The more this thing slows down, the bigger chance of messing up my vacation plans. Some nice thunderstorms tomorrow, then done, and that is enough. Certainly down on the coast it'll be more, but I'm talking about way up here in this thing we call the loop.

I'm seeing landfall at 1pm. I think he meant morning rush hour assuming the predicted landfall time from earlier this morning? The more this thing slows down, the bigger chance of messing up my vacation plans. Some nice thunderstorms tomorrow, then done, and that is enough. Certainly down on the coast it'll be more, but I'm talking about way up here in this thing we call the loop.

Damned storms...always ruining perfectly good vacations!

I feel your pain, bro...I really do! But, I gotta tell ya -- I'm just glad that this one probably won't be the one to flood everything from Galveston to the 610 Loop with twenty feet of salty H2O!

I think it's pretty bold for Harris Co. to only close the courts. Ed Emmett better hope he's right with this call.

But it's the same thing downtown with the big boys.

I'm going to go ahead and telecommute it in, but it does seem odd how blase the masses are.

And nary a peep from Mayor Bill White. I guess old Ed told him who's boss.

This thing we call the loop?

Have you ALREADY started drinking?

I think it's pretty bold for Harris Co. to only close the courts. Ed Emmett better hope he's right with this call.

But it's the same thing downtown with the big boys.

I'm going to go ahead and telecommute it in, but it does seem odd how blase the masses are.

And nary a peep from Mayor Bill White. I guess old Ed told him who's boss.

I don't think I am doing any commuting of any kind.

I damned sure am not going to go to where I work only to get stranded trying to get home near Clear Lake... Nah gawna go there...

Why so little "new" news on this storm?

Is it becuase "they" know it's going to poop out but are too paranoid to say so?

When a storm is off-shore it's harder to get information on, especially in the dark. No visible satellite. No radar images for most of it.

The NHC sends out a flight into the eye of the storm every so many hours (four hours? six hours? I forget). That flight is where most of the information comes from. They have to fly out, analyze the storm, and fly back. It's a time consuming process. That's why updates of official information come in long intervals. The TV stations try to supplement it with their analysis and tools, but it's really all about the flights while it's that far out to sea.

Archived