Tropical Storm Edouard - 2008

HtownWxBoy

It is barely raining at my apartment in Midtown, and we are in the orange/red bands on the satelite.

Either way, UT-Houston is closed so I am taking the day off. I wonder how many dollars in lost productivity this "disaster" has caused today... granted that later today it could get worse and flood a little around town.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an update for those not local. I know looking at the radar it looks like we are getting pounded, however here on the west side of town we are getting a light drizzle since 7:00 AM this morning with 4 mph gusts. (I am at Westheimer and Wilcrest in the Westchase district)

Anyone else care to update the action where they are at?

Very light rain in Pearland. 288 is free. I am off today.

Very light rain in Pearland. 288 is free. I am off today.

People got mad at me for making fun of the media overplay and chickens running around with their head cut-off. :lol::rolleyes:

Our company in the Galleria told us to pretty much to use common sense and most people did becuase many people came to work. Looks like Christmas time here with regard to the amount of cars in the garage. It's barely raining here and my place down the street. <_<

Here in Timbergrove it started raining lightly around 6:30, then has steadily gotten heavier. It's been raining buckets now for about an hour - since 9:00 or so - and the wind is starting to pick up now. Kinda cool to see but certainly not scary.

Looking at the radar and listening to the TV, the center appears to be over Chambers County right now and is moving almost due west. We probably have another 60-90 minutes of heavy rain, then it will be dry for a while as the center passes north of here. If the circulation holds together we'll probably get even heavier rain later this afternoon and evening as we start getting the south winds and bands off of the Gulf, a la Frances and Allison. But that's dependent on it holding together, which might not happen given the dry air that's over the rest of the state. We'll see.

I'm in the Westchase area, Richmond and Woodchase to be exact. Light to moderate rain, a nice breeze and no thunder or lightning. The isolated seabreeze storms that popped up everyday for two weeks about a month ago were MUCH more dangerous than anything this storm has had to offer. In fact, those seabreeze storms, though puny looking and pocket sized, can be more dangerous than a Cat 1 Hurricane.

I bet there are ALOT of angry managers right now. It's funny when a cold front blows through bringing storms with 95pmh winds and tornados, you're still expected to come to work and most times school as well. However, a weak tropical storm will shut down the city. Also, go to KTRK.com and watch and listen as the reporters try to contain their dissapointment.

It's amazing watching the non-stop media circus coverage. The reporters get all excited when they see a 6 inch puddle of water or a tree limb on the ground that undoubtedly fell because it was probably dying, not from the storm. :P

Oh well. If this keeps up I may have to go seek shelter at the Ginger Man.

It's amazing watching the non-stop media circus coverage. The reporters get all excited when they see a 6 inch puddle of water or a tree limb on the ground that undoubtedly fell because it was probably dying, not from the storm. :P

Oh well. If this keeps up I may have to go seek shelter at the Ginger Man.

Yeah, they are really milking this for all its worth!

Still, I didn't go to work today... :P:lol:

One of the 75,000 reasons I will never watch local news or really any non-sports televised news...the overreaction and complete lack of delivering any useful information. My wife was just watching in the other room, and some local news crack was standing in the rain, outside of a Denny's, commenting how the people inside are keeping safe while they get a bite to eat. Do these people have no pride? Do they realize how worthless they really are? Aren't there scientific experiments we could use them for to put them to better use?

One of the 75,000 reasons I will never watch local news or really any non-sports televised news...the overreaction and complete lack of delivering any useful information. My wife was just watching in the other room, and some local news crack was standing in the rain, outside of a Denny's, commenting how the people inside are keeping safe while they get a bite to eat. Do these people have no pride? Do they realize how worthless they really are? Aren't there scientific experiments we could use them for to put them to better use?

LOL!!!! Yeah...I saw that too! Some truly "award-winning" reporting there! :lol:

It is really laughable ... and sad.

I am at Rice, which is officially closed, but I came in to catch up on work and deal with any facility problems if we got high wind and water. Right now, light rain. An hour ago it was barely sprinkling. No traffic to speak of. A wasted work day. :angry:

I agree, Editor, but at the same time, ever since Katrina, everyone has been "running scared" at every rain drop. And, we have the media to thank for it. It has shut down commerce here in Houston today, with really no reason for it. Traffic was at 25% at best. Our parking lot at our office building is empty, and it's not even raining.

I don't understand it, myself, but it seems like a lot of people are afraid to get wet with rain, generally speaking...whether in the context of a hurricane or a summer shower. It's skin, people! It will dry off.

I don't understand it, myself, but it seems like a lot of people are afraid to get wet with rain, generally speaking...whether in the context of a hurricane or a summer shower. It's skin, people! It will dry off.

My niece sums it up nicely commenting with me on how hot and dry it's been lately:

"It's sad that a tropical storm has to bring GOOD weather!"

Amen.

This is TheNiche reporting live from Galveston, where--just hours ago--Tropical Storm Edouard made landfall, drenching this island city, temporarily flooding some streets with a devastating three inches of water, and knocking over an estimated two thirds of its garbage bins.

The horror is truely incomprehensible, with some amount of garbage having become exposed to open pavement. I strongly urge people to stay at home rather than subject themselves to the risk of being overwhelmed by a faint smell of garbage, which surely must be getting carried by the light winds for miles.

My photojournalists, live in the alleyway outside my emergency headquarters, bravely subjecting themselves to minimal peril, captured this horrifying evidence of the damage that Edouard hath wrought.

tseduoard028bn1.jpg

For the benefit of those at home that might have just started reading this post at its mid-point and not heard what I'd said just lines ago, I will waste everybody else's time by repeating myself. It is not advisable to visit Galveston at this time. Its potentially somewhat but not very stinky. You should shelter in place and wait for updates on HAIF until such time as somebody far less intelligent than you tells you what is best for you.

Bolivar Ferry has remained open throughout the storm and is running on schedule, however the ten to twelve vehicles that use it on each departure are driven by thrill-seeking idiots with idiots for passengers, among them little idiot children. But the general public doesn't want to be here, and with good reason. It's wet. You should all stay indoors.

In order to report to you LIVE on a delayed typecast from a quasi-dangerous location, some of our personnel and myself made the trip to Bolivar this morning. The images that we have for you connote danger. And indeed, if you are elderly, feeble, a small child, have heart problems, all at the same time, and also have a family history of bedwetting, sights of seagulls and pelicans flying into the wind and also in reverse may be fatal. In light of this, the general population should certainly stay indoors.

tseduoard025qd2.jpg

tseduoard011rp8.jpg

tseduoard013ef9.jpg

tseduoard017ol4.jpg

tseduoard018ol9.jpg

If you've just started reading this thread, I'm showing you images of Galveston during Tropical Storm Edouard and am advising the general public to shelter in place, to be very fearful, and not to do anything in particular except read and re-read posts on HAIF brought to you by TheNiche until I say that it is OK to stop paying attention to me.

At the height of the storm, palm tree frawns had been menacingly blowing a little, mostly in an easterly direction. Indeed, it was very frightening for small retarded children, although luckily, few were to be found. Surely this can be attributed to the heroic actions of our public officials, including Mayor Lydia Ann Thomas of Galveston and also Mayor Bill White of Houston. Although Mayor White has nothing to do with Galveston, he was still seen by millions of people on television and therefore was immensely helpful during this terrible non-event.

tseduoard004gr0.jpg

If you're just tuning in, I have nothing much left with which to waste your time. We'll return you to your regularly scheduled HAIFing momentarily. A panic advisory remains in place for Harris, Galveston, and Chambers Counties, for which we will regularly update you as nothing happens.

Archived