Tropical Storm Edouard - 2008

HtownWxBoy

I was hoping for a power outage, myself. The bar on the corner had been planning to just give all its beer away to the neighborhood drunkards (and myself) if they lost refrigeration.

What bar is this, in the off chance I end up away from home in the middle of a storm?

I already have a pact with my neighbors across the street for the defrosting meat n booze fest if we lose power. My only specific hurricane preparations this time included securing the lids to the bbqs, and moving the charcoal inside to keep it dry, just in case.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now starts the "We dodged a Bullet" phase. More like we dodged a bee bee. The next big one for us will come one day and we may all "Hunker Down" with pride but until then put away your rations of vienna sausage, spam spaghetti-O's, ravioli, shoe string potatoes and gatorade. Drink your storm aquired alcohol as a reward for having to watch Wayne Dolcefinos 4 hairs on his head gently wave in a soft breeze while he talkes about the catastrophic winds. Now I have to go take the boards off of my windows. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...
OUCH.

Shutting a rig down is not cheap, even for one day.

I'm not sure how much, but I think in the tens of thousands.

Paging Mark F. Barnes

Just for reference sake.

Depends on the Rig.

Average Offshore: Cantilever Jack up about $285,000/day, Semi Submersible rig $375,000/day, and the Biggie, a drill ship is a cool half million per day. That's just your flat rig costs, that doesn't include the extra evac choppers @ $1200/hr and housing for the evacuees, usually an inland Holiday Inn or equivalent. It's been a busy season already, and it may even get worse as time goes by.

It takes about 36 hours prior to evacuation to secure the rig for the storms, that includes taking on all ballast necessary to stabilize it for the rough ride. MMS requires a storm packer to be set sub sea. clear all the decks of cargo, in the case of Semi's and Ships, all Sub Sea BOP's are closed as well as a storm packer set, and all Mud Risers and umbilicals are retracted, everything is set on standby, with the exception of the cash register, and it is steadily clicking away. The numbers are staggering. I loathe Hurricane season, it's a nightmare.

• The title was changed to Tropical Storm Edouard - 2008

Archived