New York Sun Article

banking214

Did Puma read it? Kinda flies in the face of his "burbs are bad" rant:

But Houston's success shows that a relatively deregulated free-market city, with a powerful urban growth machine, can do a much better job of taking care of middle-income Americans than the more "progressive" big governments of the Northeast and the West Coast.

Did Puma read it? Kinda flies in the face of his "burbs are bad" rant:

But Houston's success shows that a relatively deregulated free-market city, with a powerful urban growth machine, can do a much better job of taking care of middle-income Americans than the more "progressive" big governments of the Northeast and the West Coast.

Agreed, it is great to hear this positive spin on Houston. But let's not be simplistic and lump all kinds of planning or zoning in together as a form of stultifying regulation. A little planning would go a long way here, without hindering the kind of growth the article talks about. You're all smart enough to know the difference.

Agreed, it is great to hear this positive spin on Houston. But let's not be simplistic and lump all kinds of planning or zoning in together as a form of stultifying regulation. A little planning would go a long way here, without hindering the kind of growth the article talks about. You're all smart enough to know the difference.

I'm not.

A little planning would go a long way here, without hindering the kind of growth the article talks about. You're all smart enough to know the difference.

We have a little planning. But it sucks. We need less.

Hopefully the city can get its act together with the revisions to the major thoroughfare ordinances.

We have a little planning. But it sucks. We need less.

Hopefully the city can get its act together with the revisions to the major thoroughfare ordinances.

Can you give me the elevator version of the major thoroughfare ordinance argument? I've heard it referred to but don't know details.

It occurred to me that may have come off as snotty--it's not. Asking for real.

Exactly right.

:)

Can you give me the elevator version of the major thoroughfare ordinance argument? I've heard it referred to but don't know details. Thx!

25-foot setback. Discourages density and pedestrian-oriented development. Counterpoint has to do with sight lines for traffic as well as for flexibility with ROW takings and also with on-site and off-site parking requirements/impacts.

25-foot setback. Discourages density and pedestrian-oriented development. Counterpoint has to do with sight lines for traffic as well as for flexibility with ROW takings and also with on-site and off-site parking requirements/impacts.

gotcha. It's what I thought you were talking about but wasn't sure.

Oh, agree heartily, btw.

Ah, I see. If we get rid of that regulation, Houston can become more dense and then we'll be more like New York! But didn't I just read something about why that's bad?

Ah, I see. If we get rid of that regulation, Houston can become more dense and then we'll be more like New York! But didn't I just read something about why that's bad?

Taken to the level they have in New York, it's bad. Development doesn't have to follow one extreme or the other, you know.

Taken to the level they have in New York, it's bad. Development doesn't have to follow one extreme or the other, you know.

I know, I just found it incongruous for TheNiche to advocate getting rid of a regulation that discourages density in a thread about an article on the down-side of density.

Would you say most variance requests to move the setback line closer to the street get voted in favor of? I'm sure people have a tougher time with parking variances.

Spin? It looks like capitalism with little government intervention works.

I know, I just found it incongruous for TheNiche to advocate getting rid of a regulation that discourages density in a thread about an article on the down-side of density.

Whoa, that is incongruous. You're right. I think this is the first time I've agreed with you. Nice.

:D

Q: What do you call someone who is both ignorant and an asshole?

A: An ignoranus.

There are a lot of ignoranuses in New York.

I actually find the comments from that website funny. What the hell do I care if someone in New York (or Boston or Phoenix or wherever) doesn't like some place else (including Houston)? What I enjoy most are the exaggerations and/or misrepresentations that they spew to give credence to their opinions. Now that's entertainment!

I actually find the comments from that website funny. What the hell do I care if someone in New York (or Boston or Phoenix or wherever) doesn't like some place else (including Houston)? What I enjoy most are the exaggerations and/or misrepresentations that they spew to give credence to their opinions. Now that's entertainment!

Makes me wan't to go buy a gun and become Baptist just to spite their stupid arses.

Don't feel bad. That's their impression of Texas in general, not just Houston. Most have probably never set foot in the state. Also take into account that they're a bunch of ignorant morons.

The way I have always seen it is that you move to NYC to feel better about yourself.

But you move to Houston becusae you already feel good about yourself.

Archived