New York Sun Article

banking214

The way I have always seen it is that you move to NYC to feel better about yourself.

But you move to Houston becusae you already feel good about yourself.

daaang, just whippin out the slogans left and right! Slap that one on your sig, haha. We've got ourselves a marketing genius

The way I have always seen it is that you move to NYC to feel better about yourself.

But you move to Houston becusae you already feel good about yourself.

I've noticed a number of New Yorkers have a complex about their city as far as nightlife and such.

Then when they move down here, they have a tendency to chill out considerably. I wonder if it has to do with not having as much pressure on them financially.

This article is a good one, but still very simple on the surface.

One of the main reasons why housing costs are so low in Houston is because of a lack of governmental regulations. However, I damn well can guarantee you that home owners in the Tremont Towers wish we had more regulations. I also bet they wish we had more rights as consumers.

I also know that we can buy houses here on the cheap because they are built on the cheap. And they are often built with ILLEGAL labor. What happens if the social nuts of the Republican Party actually win over the true desires of the Rich Republicans and immigration reform is passed? What happens if we start jailing employers for hiring illegals? What happens when men like Perry (homes, not Gov) go to jail for profiteering off of illegal labor?

This article is a good one, but still very simple on the surface.

One of the main reasons why housing costs are so low in Houston is because of a lack of governmental regulations. However, I damn well can guarantee you that home owners in the Tremont Towers wish we had more regulations. I also bet they wish we had more rights as consumers.

I also know that we can buy houses here on the cheap because they are built on the cheap. And they are often built with ILLEGAL labor. What happens if the social nuts of the Republican Party actually win over the true desires of the Rich Republicans and immigration reform is passed? What happens if we start jailing employers for hiring illegals? What happens when men like Perry (homes, not Gov) go to jail for profiteering off of illegal labor?

What makes you think that illegals aren't working in NYC? I am not going to start an immigration debate here, but think you have a rather short sighted approach on the matter.

What makes you think rich Republicans want to jail employers for hiring illegals??

daaang, just whippin out the slogans left and right! Slap that one on your sig, haha. We've got ourselves a marketing genius

archie-bunker.jpg

And don't forget, NYC is as much "All in The Family" as it is "Sex in The City".

I love you New York, YOU COMPLETE ME!

What makes you think that illegals aren't working in NYC? I am not going to start an immigration debate here, but think you have a rather short sighted approach on the matter.

There simply aren't as many working there. Look at how little we pay here for lawn care, house painters, house cleaners. You'd pay easily twice as much for those services in the northeast. That's not just a vague cost-of-living difference, it's the availability of cheap labor, largely due to the presence of those here illegally.

There simply aren't as many working there. Look at how little we pay here for lawn care, house painters, house cleaners. You'd pay easily twice as much for those services in the northeast. That's not just a vague cost-of-living difference, it's the availability of cheap labor, largely due to the presence of those here illegally.

Yes, leave it to an InnerWeb dude like yourself to explain a key point that the Harvard professor totally didn't even mention.

You are talking about the state who wanted to give drivers licenses to illegals! So they could vote Dem! Oy vey.

NYC is a sanctuary city JUST LIKE Houston!

Some of those posts are wildly pretentious:

"I visited Huston, once, and found it to be an unpleasantly hot place, plagued with horrendous traffic, with no real center to it. Its residents are however somewhat cosmopolitan, in sort of an amateurish way, able to copy sophisticated behavior but exhibiting no real curiosity for cultural pursuits outside of their favorite Mexican restaurant and what's new at the mall."

Some of those posts are wildly pretentious:

"I visited Huston, once, and found it to be an unpleasantly hot place, plagued with horrendous traffic, with no real center to it. Its residents are however somewhat cosmopolitan, in sort of an amateurish way, able to copy sophisticated behavior but exhibiting no real curiosity for cultural pursuits outside of their favorite Mexican restaurant and what's new at the mall."

Saw that. Most likely written by someone who moved to NYC from Indiana.

Yes, leave it to an InnerWeb dude like yourself to explain a key point that the Harvard professor totally didn't even mention.

You are talking about the state who wanted to give drivers licenses to illegals! So they could vote Dem! Oy vey.

What does it mean to be an "InnerWeb dude?" I think I'm being insulted, but I don't understand the insult.

And by the way, being a sanctuary city doesn't mean you have a similar number of illegals. Just that you welcome them similarly. I am quite willing to admit my ignorance regarding actual numbers, or estimated numbers as is more likely, but I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of numbers of illegals in both cities, as raw numbers and as a percentage of total population.

By the way, I don't think illegal aliens are allowed to vote, whether or not they have a drivers license. I know, I'm not a Harvard professor, but I can recognize a bad argument when I see one.

What does it mean to be an "InnerWeb dude?" I think I'm being insulted, but I don't understand the insult.

And by the way, being a sanctuary city doesn't mean you have a similar number of illegals. Just that you welcome them similarly. I am quite willing to admit my ignorance regarding actual numbers, or estimated numbers as is more likely, but I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of numbers of illegals in both cities, as raw numbers and as a percentage of total population.

Not an insult. We are all InnerWeb dudes...not experts in city planning.

But let's be real here. Do you really think the dishwashers and ditch diggers in NYC are all legal and making $22.00/hr union?

1.1 million is the New York estimate. 1.7 million is the Texas estimate.

And drivers license issue? Don't you remember the Prez debate? That was the first major hit Hillary's campaign. That is exactly how illegals are able to vote. Motor voters.

Not an insult. We are all InnerWeb dudes...not experts in city planning.

But let's be real here. Do you really think the dishwashers and ditch diggers in NYC are all legal and making $22.00/hr union?

1.1 million is the New York estimate. 1.7 million is the Texas estimate.

And drivers license issue? Don't you remember the Prez debate? That was the first major hit Hillary's campaign. That is exactly how illegals are able to vote. Motor voters.

Well, I think those numbers prove my point. I was not arguing that there are NO illegals in NY, just fewer. And sure enough, there are. Especially when you consider the relative population. So yes, I guess I am making a valid point that the Harvard professor didn't make. My degree is not for nothing after all.

I missed that debate regarding drivers licenses. I still don't get it... you have to be a registered voter to vote. Does a driver's license let you register to vote? If that's the case, I am surprised to find that I agree with you... illegal aliens should not get drivers licenses.

Stat class ain't over yet.

19 million people live in New York. 8 million live in New York City.

And I can tell you where all the illegals are.

It sure ain't Albany.

Right, and Texas has 21 million, Houston has only 2 million. Again, just proves my point. There are fewer illegal aliens in NY, and NY is a bigger city than Houston. So Houston has a higher percentage.

600,000 more wetbacks statewide in Texas vs. New York is not the key enabler to Houston's growth.

Oh, man... I never said it was. See above, I was just responding to Ricco's remark that there are illegals in NY as well as here, so illegal labor isn't enough to account for low housing costs. And I was pointing out that while that's true, there are so many more here that it DOES affect the cost of certain things, like houses, and the examples I mentioned above.

I think we're done on this subject?

What makes you think rich Republicans want to jail employers for hiring illegals??

I think you either misread what I was saying or I was unclear.

Country Clubbin' Repubs obviously wouldn't want to jail themselves. But, they are spearheading the tough talk to get elected. These folks, the true elite, have no problem scape-goating something (AIDS, the gays, womYn, abortion, stem cell research, sex education, immigration, racism/crime) in order to get elected. They've done it for 40 years.

They've aligned themselves with people they would rather not have to share space. But, eventually, even those mindless "faith-based" voters who pull the straight slate will eventually demand some action. The calls for enforcing from the top down are starting to get louder. After all, if we arrest the illegal for washing dishes, shouldn't we arrest the owner(s) for hiring them?

Personally, I'd love to see a Perry Homes worksite roundup followed by a trip to the corporate office to round up the upper management there. Throw them all in jail so we can then realize that this nation has thrived off of illegal and legal immigration since the abolition of slavery!

Q: What do you call someone who is both ignorant and an asshole?

A: An ignoranus.

There are a lot of ignoranuses in New York.

... just to spite their stupid arses.

take into account that they're a bunch of ignorant morons.

As a former New Yorker now living in Houston, I was going to weigh in on this. On second thought, it hardly seems worth the trouble. Too bad. The conversation and posts started off intelligent. Didn't take too long before it became the confederates vs the union - yet again.

As a former New Yorker now living in Houston, I was going to weigh in on this. On second thought, it hardly seems worth the trouble. Too bad. The conversation and posts started off intelligent. Didn't take too long before it became the confederates vs the union - yet again.

Don't be chy.

Have you seen what we say about those Yankess in Dallas?

Well, in my own defense, I was TRYING to be funny. Just like the sophisticated New Yorkers were trying to be funny. But if I contributed in any way to stopping a former New Yorker from giving his completely worthless opinion of Houston then my unfunny joke was well worth posting.

For the record, for me it isn't a north vs south thing. I have nothing against New Yorkers in general. It is more like a 'people who don't have a clue of what they are talking about and are trashing my hometown for no reason are acting like ignorant assholes' thing - and shouldn't be taken too seriously. After all, how many of those posters were still hung up about Houstonians being fat? How many other cities have been called the fattest city in America since Houston was named fattest city back in 2003 or whenever? And what has MY weight (I'm slim and trim by the way) got to do with the quality of life of my fellow Houstonians, anyway? Try and keep up please, it's 2008 already. Plus, I always find it funny (in a sad kind of way) whenever people call themselves sophisticated as several of those posters did. If you have to tell or imply to people that you are sophisticated or intelligent, then you aren't - and you're not fooling anyone.

The really surprising part of reading those dumb opinions after the article was how inferior New Yorkers obviously feel toward Houston and Texas. It came across loud and clear. I found it odd because Houston is no threat to NYC. Sure, Houston is growing 7 times faster than NYC, but NYC still has a few good years left as America's City I guess. Houston may be more attractive to the middle class, but NYC has (and probably will always have) the fame and glory. A lot of those posters came across as people who were trying justify their reasons for living in NYC by picking on a younger, smaller city with a brighter future. Kind of like how older, ugly people have to say mean things about younger, more attractive people so that they can feel better about themselves. However, I can see how having less spending money might bring out one's inner bitterness. When I was struggling in SF, I never said nice things about people who owned 3000 square foot houses.

Delicious.

Well, in my own defense, I was TRYING to be funny. Just like the sophisticated New Yorkers were trying to be funny. But if I contributed in any way to stopping a former New Yorker from giving his completely worthless opinion of Houston then my unfunny joke was well worth posting.

For the record, for me it isn't a north vs south thing. I have nothing against New Yorkers in general. It is more like a 'people who don't have a clue of what they are talking about and are trashing my hometown for no reason are acting like ignorant assholes' thing - and shouldn't be taken too seriously. After all, how many of those posters were still hung up about Houstonians being fat? How many other cities have been called the fattest city in America since Houston was named fattest city back in 2003 or whenever? And what has MY weight (I'm slim and trim by the way) got to do with the quality of life of my fellow Houstonians, anyway? Try and keep up please, it's 2008 already. Plus, I always find it funny (in a sad kind of way) whenever people call themselves sophisticated as several of those posters did. If you have to tell or imply to people that you are sophisticated or intelligent, then you aren't - and you're not fooling anyone.

Archived