Making sacrifices to beat the pump: Houstonians find new ways to get from point A to B

For me a Park and Ride round-trip bus ride costs the same as buying the gas.

That's what I was just about to ask. I was wondering how much is actually saved in dollars on using it. If the freeways weren't congested in rush hour, I wonder how many people would drive their cars instead? I'd like to see the percentage of reasons why people use the park and rides.

On the scooter thing. I like the idea, but two things I don't like about it. 1) Still like a motorcycle and it's a lot easier to killed on one of them. But I guess if you're not on the freeway it's a lot safer; just gotta watch out for red light runners. 2) The

has not been commercialized yet. If you have any kind of hair style that requires hair product, the scooter is not an option; not if you want to be safe. I did ride my bike to work in Albuquerque, and when I got there my hair looked like a really bad fro. Thankfully it was a small company so I didn't feel like a total dweeb going to the bathroom with my mouse and hair dryer to fix it up.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/5843387.html

Has anyone else started riding the bus or rail due to astronomical gas prices? I know I have.

Lot's of bikers around here. Since it's prohibited on Memorial, and there really isn't enough room for them, it looks a little dangerous. But most of them around the EC are using the sidewalks to shoot up to I-10 to their offices.

My origin-destination pair make work commutes via transit very impractical.

I've already detailed in another thread how changing my driving habits have netted me an approximate 20% increase in fuel economy. My family has also been able to cut down on unnecessary trips by having me run errands on the way home from work and delaying lower-priority errands until they can be combined into a single trip. This helps a lot since merely exiting the neighborhood is a 1.9 mile proposition (or 3.8 miles per trip).

Another gas saving tip: park at the back of the parking lot and burn a calorie instead of gasoline.

It's funny that truly insane and exorbitant gas prices are just now waking up people...but better late than never I suppose.

I always tried to have the mindset to live near work - I know that isn't always a possibility (and I made a weird 290/Hollister move several years ago that I still don't quite get - but it didn't last) but the lower gas usage + commute time works wonders for the mental health and budget.

My normal almost two-mile commute isn't bad, and living within walking distance to the rail and other destinations makes it easy to not spend tons on gas. But I would have chosen this with or without $3.80+ gas prices...

lol, are you serious? That only makes a difference when using Walmart parking lots. :D

Yeah, I'm serious. Parking lot circulation (especially those always hunting for the closest spot they can find) wastes a tremendous amount of gasoline, especially since you are driving so slow and stopping/starting a lot.

So I guess what I really mean is find a spot fast and turn off the gas. That usually means settling for the back of the lot.

This doesn't make a huge difference, obviously, but adds up over time, like everything else.

Plus, I think most of us can stand to burn a calorie or two ;)

Edited by CDeb

This doesn't make a huge difference, obviously, but adds up over time, like everything else.

Just like pennies. I feel ya.

But I wish people would get off my bumper when coming off a red light. It annoys when people slam on the gas and then halt at the speed limit. Going the speed limit is fine, but why the quick burst? It takes me much longer than the normal driver to get up to speed, but I usually catch up to them anyway while not trying.

Lot's of bikers around here. Since it's prohibited on Memorial, and there really isn't enough room for them, it looks a little dangerous. But most of them around the EC are using the sidewalks to shoot up to I-10 to their offices.

Why are scooters prohibited on Memorial, versus other streets?

Europeans have cars; they just don't drive them every time they go out.

I have been putting the Q Card to use here lately....drove for the first time since Monday morning and have driven maybe 25 miles in the last week.

Yeah, I'm serious. Parking lot circulation (especially those always hunting for the closest spot they can find) wastes a tremendous amount of gasoline, especially since you are driving so slow and stopping/starting a lot.

So I guess what I really mean is find a spot fast and turn off the gas. That usually means settling for the back of the lot.

Plus, I think most of us can stand to burn a calorie or two ;)

That's actually a good point. I had never thought of it. At the other extreme, I have been with people who when going from one store to another will drive from one end of a parking lot to another and re-park. (to give you an idea of the distance, this was from Kroger on West Gray to the section by McDuffie.

There was an article somewhere a few days ago that made this very point. Some study showed that those that take the first available parking space and walk invariably end up in the store quicker than those that drive around looking for a close in space. Those that stop next to someone getting ready to leave and wait for the space to become available take slightly longer than the parking lot vultures. Clearly, both the waiters and the vultures waste much more gas than the park and walker.

Why are scooters prohibited on Memorial, versus other streets?

Well, it's dangerous for the biker/scooterer. Most of Memorial is two lane,winding blind areas, no shoulder with tons of pot holes on the edges. Even the parts that are two lane have no shoulder to speak of and culverts right next to them.

If a wheel on one of those little bikes or scooters hits any of those holes, the rider can easily be thrown.

The only option is for them to ride dead center of the road, which would hold up traffic for miles. As in my blog, I complained some guys do this anyway. Most are getting smart and going up to the sidewalks. I think after a close call on Memorial, most bikers understand the reason why it's illegal to bike right on it.

Well, it's dangerous for the biker/scooterer. Most of Memorial is two lane,winding blind areas, no shoulder with tons of pot holes on the edges. Even the parts that are two lane have no shoulder to speak of and culverts right next to them.

If a wheel on one of those little bikes or scooters hits any of those holes, the rider can easily be thrown.

The only option is for them to ride dead center of the road, which would hold up traffic for miles. As in my blog, I complained some guys do this anyway. Most are getting smart and going up to the sidewalks. I think after a close call on Memorial, most bikers understand the reason why it's illegal to bike right on it.

I looked it up. There's a ban on bicycles in Hunter's Village, but nothing about scooters.

Edited by memebag

Where is this law? Why are there no signs posted?

There are signs along Memorial that say "Biking Prohibited." But technically after living in The Woodlands, where everything is "prohibited," yet you don't get arrested for it, I don't think it's enforceable. I dunno. But I did see the Village police with a biker on the side of the road the other day.

Edited by KatieDidIt

There are signs along Memorial that say "Biking Prohibited." But technically after living in The Woodlands, where everything is "prohibited," yet you don't get arrested for it, I don't think it's enforceable. I dunno. But I did see the Village police with a biker on the side of the road the other day.

A google search shows that it has been enforced and challenged. But the signs say "bicycles", not "biking". Scooters aren't banned.

Edited by memebag

I had it made when I worked in downtown. Park n Ride was de riguer for me as far as getting to work everyday. Now that I have to commute to far Westchase I am forced to drive. I hate it. :angry:

NPR has been doing a segment on this very topic all week long and its very interesting to hear others sacrifices, etc.

Car manufacturer's are in a frenzy to create a smaller possibly one or two car-seater only auto. many people are actually turning down great paying jobs just to be closer to home or simply work out of home. I am ready for that like now!

• 4 weeks later...