George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

I am very happy to hear this.  I have been wanted to make a leisure visit to NZ for a long time ... and I was annoyed with UA for backing out of their proposed nonstop from Houston.

Now, well, I will be happy to give ANZ my money, rather than UA.  The only thing that made me struck in the announcement was that they would be using "refurbished 777s".   Time flies, I didn't realize that aircraft was already ~20 years into production!

ANZ and UA are the same alliance tho. I'm going to NZ in July...except I'm connecting through Los Angeles. What an AWESOME addition to IAH! Yet another punch in the gut to DFW.

I've done the ANZ trip through LAX, and was majorly annoyed at the lack of signage after you get through customs in LA. You just get dumped on the sidewalk, and have to guess where to go, unless they've done some improvements.

This is great news for Houston and United.  NZ is a Star alliance partner.  NZ is flying their new 787-900 a 777 cannot fly that route non-stop.  This flight will connect to United to so many destinations then before, especially Latin America.  They need to start building the new Terminal D because ANA is coming in June.  So now Star Alliance partners at IAH are Air Canada, Air China, All Nippon Airways, Air New Zealand, Lufthansa, Singapore, SAS, Turkish.  I did for get another airline?

I was watching the State of the Airport speech address today on fly2houston.com and Mr. Diaz mentioned that demolition of Terminal D wouldn't even begin until 2016 and be finished "hopefully" by 2020. Am I missing something here? 4 or 5 years to build one terminal? You can build a 100 story highrise in less time. Why so long for a simple terminal building? 

I really hope this terminal is as modern and 'Texas' as they make it out to be. What we have now is an embarrassment to the city and the state---especially compared to DFW and Atlanta.

• Like 1

I was watching the State of the Airport speech address today on fly2houston.com and Mr. Diaz mentioned that demolition of Terminal D wouldn't even begin until 2016 and be finished "hopefully" by 2020. Am I missing something here? 4 or 5 years to build one terminal? You can build a 100 story highrise in less time. Why so long for a simple terminal building?

I really hope this terminal is as modern and 'Texas' as they make it out to be. What we have now is an embarrassment to the city and the state---especially compared to DFW and Atlanta.

That is because we don't have enough money to build a new airport or build a new terminal in another place (which we should do). When you need more space for international flight but not enough fund, you have to do the renovation, which will last longer time. Again, the footprint design of IAH is really bad.

I'm pretty sure they'll make it 'Texasy' by slapping star motifs everywhere,

• Like 2

That is because we don't have enough money to build a new airport or build a new terminal in another place (which we should do). When you need more space for international flight but not enough fund, you have to do the renovation, which will last longer time. Again, the footprint design of IAH is really bad.

--There is no reason to even think of building a new airport.

--They considered building a new International Terminal completely separate from the current terminal complex but most of the airlines hated the idea.  The idea was not dismissed because of a lack of money.

--We are not doing a renovation of Terminal D.  The new Terminal D will be an entirely new building. The existing Terminal D will be completely demolished.

--There is really nothing at all wrong with the footprint design of IAH.

Edited by Houston19514

We are not talking about a simple terminal building.  It is a very complicated project with multiple phases because they are replacing current terminal structures with new structures while fully operating the current structures. 

Also, I believe the serious building construction cannot even start until 2017'ish because step 1 is for United to build their new Terminal C/B North concourse.  When United has their new concourse built they will vacate Gates C14-23 (they are required to vacate that space no later than some time in 2017; I don't recall the exact date).  When United vacates that section, the C14-23 concourse will be demolished and serious work gets started on the new Terminal D.

Ok lets this get this straight.  When Terminal D will be demolished. The foreign carries will use the current Terminal C until construction is done.  United will move the Terminal C  back words and re build B and C on the north side.  Which United have 20 gates for the 787 and 15 gates  for United Express,  This is very exciting.

--There is no reason to even think of building a new airport.

--They considered building a new International Terminal completely separate from the current terminal complex but most of the airlines hated the idea.  The idea was not dismissed because of a lack of money.

--We are not doing a renovation of Terminal D.  The new Terminal D will be an entirely new building. The existing Terminal D will be completely demolished.

--There is really nothing at all wrong with the footprint design of IAH.

Well if you say IAH now could still handle flights well then I have no problem with that. But if you travel from Amsterdam, Dubai, and Beijing to Houston you will surely feel shame of it. Terminal E is good, but all other terminals are not even close to "modern". I said we deserve a new airport not because IAH is not large enough to handle flight, but because we deserve something better.

I know the terminal D plan and I should not use the word renovation. I meant to say they have to build a new terminal in the same place where now Terminal D stands at, and at the same time you cannot completely shut off the terminal. This makes the project long and complicated. IAH's footprint is bad for sure. parallel concourses and satellite piers have proved their efficiency in lots of newly built airport around the world.

Well if you say IAH now could still handle flights well then I have no problem with that. But if you travel from Amsterdam, Dubai, and Beijing to Houston you will surely feel shame of it. Terminal E is good, but all other terminals are not even close to "modern". I said we deserve a new airport not because IAH is not large enough to handle flight, but because we deserve something better.

I know the terminal D plan and I should not use the word renovation. I meant to say they have to build a new terminal in the same place where now Terminal D stands at, and at the same time you cannot completely shut off the terminal. This makes the project long and complicated. IAH's footprint is bad for sure. parallel concourses and satellite piers have proved their efficiency in lots of newly built airport around the world.

Even IF they opted to build a new airport, where in the heck would you put something that size? IAH is already inconvenient for most people who live IN Houston or God forbid Sugar Land or Clear Lake or Galveston. The amount of property you would need along with good ample transportation to get there would either push the new airport way out of town or be shrunk down considerably to something like San Diego, Philadelphia or Reagan. 

Even IF they opted to build a new airport, where in the heck would you put something that size? IAH is already inconvenient for most people who live IN Houston or God forbid Sugar Land or Clear Lake or Galveston. The amount of property you would need along with good ample transportation to get there would either push the new airport way out of town or be shrunk down considerably to something like San Diego, Philadelphia or Reagan.

From city growth perspective, you have to built new airport far away from city center, just like London, Paris, Moscow, Taipei, Kuala Lumper and Shanghai, or you are lucky enough to have an island for it, like Seoul and Hong Kong. Ideally, a rail connecting Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston with a stop at IAH and DFW will be so great (just like Frankfurt), but that will never come true. Let's forget about the new airport which will not come realistic in at least 50 years. Even if government have enough money to do it, I'd rather they spend it to improve local road conditions in the loop, which is more important than my Houston pride.

There's no reason to build a new airport. IAH, from a runway perspective, is more than adequate, and has room for some more capacity. We can talk about terminals, but I don't think we will ever see IAH replaced with an airport in a different location.

http://www.houstongovnewsroom.org/go/doc/2155/2495706/

Interesting. I don't think there is an aircraft that can do IAH-BOM nonstop (although the language used was "direct"). I wonder if Diaz might seek 5th freedoms, for a routing such as IAH-MAD-BOM. Get a couple of cities on the wishlist off in one swoop.

His track record has been very good. Maybe he just wants a bigger challenge at this point. :) 

Interesting. I don't think there is an aircraft that can do IAH-BOM nonstop (although the language used was "direct"). I wonder if Diaz might seek 5th freedoms, for a routing such as IAH-MAD-BOM. Get a couple of cities on the wishlist off in one swoop.

His track record has been very good. Maybe he just wants a bigger challenge at this point. :)

I don't know the exact number, but I guess should be 3 hours longer than dubai? May Be a little shorter than New York to Singapore? Again, if it is true I believe it is NOT carried by United…

It's just under 9000 miles over the pole, according to gcmapper.com (http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=iah-bom&MS=wls&DU=mi).The versions of the 777X in development supposedly have the range.

Edited by Ross