What Houston High School Did You Attend

About 5 years ago Stephen F Austin Sr High had a ALL graduating class event or rather a reunion for every person that actually graduated since it was opened to the public.

When I (class of 79) went with my brother & sister Class of 76 & 83 we met hundreds of past graduates from as far back as 1940's to now! I mean in walkers, wheel chairs etc. Some were former cheerleaders in the 50's, 60's to present. We were tripping big time!

When they announced the decades or time frames as the small groups all stood up one at a time. We felt like children compared to the older age group. It was an extraordinary experience!

Everyone was able to purchase a red brick with their family name to be placed in the front of the school in a new terrace....there forever. ^_^

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad graduated from there. 1964 I think?

His picture is in the yearbook as Mr. SFA. Pictured with him was Mrs. SFA, Alana Stewart (Rod Stewart's ex.). Mother of skanktastic Kimberly Stewart.

ooh. Brushes with Stardom! Any others? Or any other senior big shots among us?

My little brother (also Katy High) was in the same class as Renee Zellewegger.

No famous people in my class, but I was senior 'class individualist' which I think loosely translates to 'most popular freak'.

Do they still have that stuff? Most likely to succeed, mr and miss high school, class drama queen, etc.

No famous people in my class, but I was senior 'class individualist' which I think loosely translates to 'most popular freak'.

Do they still have that stuff? Most likely to succeed, mr and miss high school, class drama queen, etc.

from this, it sounds like even the yearbook is vanishing in favor of web pages.

Was that Mr. Breeden or Mr. Spears?

I think Spears was an assistant when I was there, but I don't think Breeden was the principal's name. I can't recall his name. I usually got sent to an assistant principal's office.

Beverly Hills Intermediate 1987.

I should have started at Dobie in '87 but we left Houston (along with the rest of Sagemont, it seemed.)

The building that used to be Dobie High is now Beverly Hills Intermediate.

Did Sagemont leave Houston? My parents stayed.

Brushes with Stardom! Any others?

Kim Zmeskal was in my class at Westfield (she enrolled after the Barcelona games), or maybe the one before mine, I don't remember, but we had a class together one year.

That's a sad story. I used to look through my yearbook every summer at least once. I'd do again but I need to find them

Personally, for some things I like books and printed stuff. I have all my college yearbooks and even yearbooks that my parents had at TSU. Now those are funny.

As for the kids these days and technology ... I know I don't print ANYTHING unless it is absolutely necessary. You have to remember this generation (millenials) have grown up with the 'Net, email, mobile phones and all the social networking technologies. They can see their friends, share pictures, etc. and have it saved on the 'Net or their mobile devices.

WHY on earth would they want anything printed..?

One day we'll all wake up from this sad digital life we have created.

It's still in its infancy, but I hope to see these social networking sites go the way of the do-do.

Digital photography is step in the wrong direction from a historical perspective.

I digress. But I do love my message boads!

Personally, for some things I like books and printed stuff. I have all my college yearbooks and even yearbooks that my parents had at TSU. Now those are funny.

As for the kids these days and technology ... I know I don't print ANYTHING unless it is absolutely necessary. You have to remember this generation (millenials) have grown up with the 'Net, email, mobile phones and all the social networking technologies. They can see their friends, share pictures, etc. and have it saved on the 'Net or their mobile devices.

WHY on earth would they want anything printed..?

True, but the memories printed in the book are forever. Myspace and facebook can and are changed every ten minutes.

I also think the article pointed somethign out that's significant - the demographics who are and are not buying them. My cousin is on yearbook staff at Klein Collins. I'll have to ask her how sales went.

What isn't it that it used to be?

The people. Just about every family I know has finally left. The last ones there I remember left in 2002.

True, but the memories printed in the book are forever. Myspace and facebook can and are changed every ten minutes.

I also think the article pointed somethign out that's significant - the demographics who are and are not buying them. My cousin is on yearbook staff at Klein Collins. I'll have to ask her how sales went.

Not to mention Facebook and Myspace are crap. 1/2 of them have faux-friends from around the world.

Virtual friends do not belong in a year/memory book.

Leaving Sagemont in 87? Seems a bit premature, but I know now it ain't what it used to be.

What I meant was that every other house on our street was vacant. In that economy in Houston, many of our neighbors ran out on their mortgages, leaving their houses vacant. The house behind us and across the street from us was vacant. My aunt/uncle/cousins down the street left unannounced in the middle of the night one weekend.

There were lots of empty homes in our area (technically Kirkmont, not Sagemont.)

Other than that...I can't tell that Sagemont has changed too much in the last 20 years.

See that's where we don't understand them. They don't care if it is disposable since most things in their lives are as well.

What I meant was that every other house on our street was vacant. In that economy in Houston, many of our neighbors ran out on their mortgages, leaving their houses vacant. The house behind us and across the street from us was vacant. My aunt/uncle/cousins down the street left unannounced in the middle of the night one weekend.

There were lots of empty homes in our area (technically Kirkmont, not Sagemont.)

Other than that...I can't tell that Sagemont has changed too much in the last 20 years.

Huh. I stopped living there in 1983, but have been visiting my folks every since. I never noticed a surge in empty houses.

Huh. I stopped living there in 1983, but have been visiting my folks every since. I never noticed a surge in empty houses.

A good number of the houses around us became rent houses just before we left...there would be a different occupant every few months, with many months of vacancy.

We were at the corner of a T-intersection, and I remember the house across the street from us was empty, the one behind us was empty, and the houses on either side of the guy across the intersecting street were both empty. When I say empty, I mean they were occasionally occupied.

Maybe it was just our end of the neighborhood that got hit. We were right across the street from the future South Belt.

OK, maybe it wasn't just our neighborhood...

Harris County foreclosures peaked at around 31,000 in 1987. That's nearly triple the number of Harris County foreclosures in 2007 (11,766).

Harris County's 1987 population estimate of 2.75 million was only 70% of the current (2007) population of 3.9 million...but the number of 1987 foreclosures was 263% of the 2007 number of foreclosures. On a per-capita basis, 1987 foreclosures were nearly four times as numerous as 2007.

• The title was changed to What Houston High School Did You Attend
  • The topic was unlocked