610 Freeway/Highway 59 Interchange

This interchange wouldn't be as bad if people showed a little patience got in lane early, didn't do dumb things like come to a stand still in a lane of traffic, and accepted the fact that if they couldn't get in lane safely, just took a detour and resolved next time to get in lane earlier.

I'll put the crack pipe down now.

This interchange wouldn't be as bad if people showed a little patience got in lane early, didn't do dumb things like come to a stand still in a lane of traffic, and accepted the fact that if they couldn't get in lane safely, just took a detour and resolved next time to get in lane earlier.

I'll put the crack pipe down now.

I agree. There's not a damn thing freaky with that intersection. The freeway is straight and there are at least three thru-lanes alongside three exit lanes. The problem during rush hour (or most other times, 5am on Sunday not being one of them) is that a**holes decide that they're too good or in too big of a hurry to wait their turn in line, so they cut. Most times they can pull it off, but with the large traffic volumes through there, something bad is bound to happen sooner or later. Either a.) the cutter misjudges the speed of the exit lane and hits somebody in that lane, or b.) the cutter just decides to park in a thru-lane with his blinker on until he can squeeze into the front of the exit lane line. In any case, people deciding to bypass the end of the line just make the line worse and encourage more people to try and cut, too. It's a vicious circle and it has nothing to do with the design of the intersection. It's just a busy intersection with a lot of traffic and people are too impatient to wait their turn. Period.

(Yes, I know that sometimes people unfamiliar with the freeway will not realize that the backup is as large as it is and then try to cut when they do, but I doubt that's a large proportion of drivers during rush hour. Rush hour is full of commuters on a regular route and they know good and well what they're doing when they cut.)

With regards to the bus crash, there wasn't any traffic. On the news last night they showed a picture of the accident report with the cops' drawing of the accident and it sure looks to me that he was driving too fast and swerved in one way or the other at the last second. Either he was in the exit lane and didn't intend to be (more likely since he was driving back to San Antonio and wouldn't take 59) or he was in the main lanes and swerved to make the exit (which doesn't make much sense). Can't find any pics online yet, but I'll keep trying.

Either way, the accident doesn't prove that intersection is "freaky" in the slightest. This is just poor-quality Houston news reporting rearing its head again.

I think this article is dangerous in itself because it will give false blame to TXDOT which the family might want to exploit for a lawsuit.

There is nothing wrong with that exit, if anything, I wouldn't be surprised if the crash was caused by his being drowsy. Goes to show when you cut costs (not having a driver) you put yourself at a considerable risk.

Either way, the accident doesn't prove that intersection is "freaky" in the slightest. This is just poor-quality Houston news reporting rearing its head again.

Agreed. It's not freaky by any means (but makes a catchy headline, i guess).

The traffic heading from 610 NB to 59 SB is too much for one lane during rush hours. Even if everyone was where they needed to be before having to cut in, it would still be bad.

Add the last on-ramp by Fournace for those needing to get onto the 610 main lanes (who have to cut through the 59S back up) and the problem gets worse.

Thank goodness it is easy to find alternate routes.

The traffic heading from 610 NB to 59 SB is too much for one lane during rush hours. Even if everyone was where they needed to be before having to cut in, it would still be bad.

Add the last on-ramp by Fournace for those needing to get onto the 610 main lanes (who have to cut through the 59S back up) and the problem gets worse.

Thank goodness it is easy to find alternate routes.

I take the southbound (610) exit several times a week, and during peak hours I find it a mess, especially after 5:00pm. What compounds the problem further is those entering the freeway from Sage, which backs up the southbound lane. I was hoping that TXDOT would add another south lane before they finished the expansion of 610 to relieve the problem, but I guess it would create a problem for those merging onto the Furnace exit.

I do not think it is a freaky interchange but its definetly not made for that kind of traffic. They should rebuild the whole intersection to keep people from cutting and leaving the exits. Its a shame that they have rebuilt 59 S and 610 W Loop and not this intersection. I do like the improvements though.

Getting off the Westpark and then trying to get over to the 59N lanes is an adventure in itself.

I never understand when they expand the freeways and then put single lane interchange ramps.

That's because they expand freeways and leave the interchanges as-is. Over the past 20 years, they've expanded freeways and kept the same old interchanges there. The Southwest Freeway was originally expanded in 1991, the interchange was basically left in its 1962 configuration. The North Loop between the North and Eastex Freeways was expanded this year AND the North freeway was expanded in 1984, but the interchange is still in its 1961 (left lane entrances onto 610) and steeply banked ramp configuration. Ever wonder why an expanded freeway is all nice, 6 lanes in each direction, then when you go under 610, it's only 3 lanes? Partly attributed to lane balance because some of the mainlanes become exit ramps, the other because it would mean the entire interchange would have to be rebuilt to accomodate the extra mainlanes going under 610 (ie: I-10W/I-610 rebuild), or shoulder lanes would have to be restriped into mainlanes, something TxDOT doesn't like to do around these parts much.

Though I suppose, it could be worse.

Cloverleaf.jpg

Edited by JLWM8609

I don't know if I would use the term "freaky" but it certainly is poorly designed. The worst spot where the southbound traffic from Alabama at the Galleria merges with cars exiting from the Loop to 59 South. The two lanes join so there is a stretch where many vehicles are trying to move in opposite directions. The design problems stem from having too many major exits too close by, viz. Westheimer and Chimney Rock. If those exits were closed I think the 59/610 intersection would be a lot less intimidating, and freaky.

I tell you, it's always someone else's fault when things go wrong. TXDOT started painting huge (8 feet across) emblems of the destination of each particular lane several years ago, "59" "610" etc etc. If someone just pays attention, they start warning you what lane you are in 1.5 miles in advance. They are more than well lit at night. The paint used to make these emblems is illuminating traffic paint, and it reflects light. Huge green traffic signs, with lights start warning you of the interchange 3 miles in advance. If a person just plans ahead a little, pays attention to what they are doing, it's not a problem whatsoever. But last minute lane changes, or not paying attention, or being drowsy from a three hour set on stage, followed by a few beers to chill out afterward, if not something a little stronger, 5 am in the morning, you can't tell me he you aren't worn out. The odds caught up. I can't see any blame being laid on the intersection or TXDOT.

Texas has some of the motorist friendly interchanges in the world. Go try another state or city that is forever exiting left to go right, or the signs are so confusing you do not know what to do, until you are 100 ft from the point of exit.

Emilio's accident is tragic and hopefully he survives the entire ordeal with as little if not any long term issues. But don't put the blame on anyone other than the operator of the bus. Bar a second vehicle being involved and leaving the scene, (which I think has been ruled out by the survivors), or a catastrophic mechanical failure of the bus, there is nothing more to say it's a tragic accident nothing else.

I tell you, it's always someone else's fault when things go wrong. TXDOT started painting huge (8 feet across) emblems of the destination of each particular lane several years ago, "59" "610" etc etc. If someone just pays attention, they start warning you what lane you are in 1.5 miles in advance. They are more than well lit at night. The paint used to make these emblems is illuminating traffic paint, and it reflects light. Huge green traffic signs, with lights start warning you of the interchange 3 miles in advance. If a person just plans ahead a little, pays attention to what they are doing, it's not a problem whatsoever. But last minute lane changes, or not paying attention, or being drowsy from a three hour set on stage, followed by a few beers to chill out afterward, if not something a little stronger, 5 am in the morning, you can't tell me he you aren't worn out. The odds caught up. I can't see any blame being laid on the intersection or TXDOT.

The problem with the intersection isn't lack of signage, it is the suboptimal design elements such as single lanes meant for both exit and entrance.

• The title was changed to 610 Freeway/Highway 59 Interchange