St. Regis Residences & Future Multifamily On Asbury Pl.

SpaceCity

My question is that if the project is still up and running, why have they let everything on the property fall apart. Last time I was at the sales office, which, by the way, was closed on a Saturday afternoon, the water feature was broken and had missing letters from the name, was overgrown and had broken limbs and trash all in the parking lot.

It looked like people hadn't been there in months. If its simply being re-designed.... shouldn't they still at least maintain the property and keep a salesperson there? Even if the floorplans weren't finalized, they still have a product.

What the hell does "the very best of celestial living" mean? Some of the taglines from that site make me wanna puke.

Edited by danes75

My question is that if the project is still up and running, why have they let everything on the property fall apart. Last time I was at the sales office, which, by the way, was closed on a Saturday afternoon, the water feature was broken and had missing letters from the name, was overgrown and had broken limbs and trash all in the parking lot.

It looked like people hadn't been there in months. If its simply being re-designed.... shouldn't they still at least maintain the property and keep a salesperson there? Even if the floorplans weren't finalized, they still have a product.

What the hell does "the very best of celestial living" mean? Some of the taglines from that site make me wanna puke.

Yeah I wen't by the building site a couple of weeks ago and it looked completely abandoned. This makes no scense if they were still moving forward.

I wouldn't speculate too much. Speculation with regards to new projects clearly drives us all crazy, especially if we aren't getting clear updates/info (not saying that ENGCons info isn't legit, just that we can't corroborate it fully).

Best to assume the project is dead until there's clear evidence that it's not.

Instead of dead, how about we just forget about it until we here news on it again.

Another update from my buddy. In his opinion this project is dead. They are anticipating the revised design in January, but the outlook is not good. If this project is ever to be built they will have to probably find a new Contractor, and start over from scratch. Shame, damn nice buildings, but I am glad I resigned.

Well, since your curious about the turnaround I will just say this project is on life support as it is, and I just point blanked asked him if it was dead or not, he said he thinks so. The problem is that it is difficult for a contractor to walk away from a potential $200 million project. Especially if they have already mobilized on the site, done some utility work for it, and not to mention the countless hours getting this deal together with the owner.

• 4 weeks later...
Gotta love buildings with wacky tops:

c0000458.jpg

I know this was posted over a year ago, but I've just joined the forum. As a native Rochesterian, I can definitely tell you that's NOT city hall! That Art Deco gem is the Times Square building! (Not to be confused Times Square in Manhattan.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I know this was posted over a year ago, but I've just joined the forum. As a native Rochesterian, I can definitely tell you that's NOT city hall! That Art Deco gem is the Times Square building! (Not to be confused Times Square in Manhattan.)

interesting... but the buildings around it are plain janes

interesting... but the buildings around it are plain janes

Yeah...it was actually in a historically significant part of town when it was built, but most of the buildings around it were destroyed in the 1950's to make way for an inner loop expressway and a Communistic looking War Memiorial and Civic Center complex. In the 1930's through the 1950's the building actually had a subway station in the basement, until the subway itself was shut down in order to build the expressway. (With a 1950's population of around 300,000, Rochester was--I believe--at the time the smallest city in the country with a working subway line. The subway itself actually ran in the bed of the old Erie Canal, which ran through the center of the city until around the 1920's and is now the current route of I-490). Houston isn't the only city with a bad habit of destroying its own history and neglecting mass transit!

Edited by mike1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...it was actually in a historically significant part of town when it was built,

I know this subject is way off topic, but history is my passion! Here's a picture taken from almost the exact same location in 1921 when the Erie Canal ran where the street is today. You can see the building in the background with the pointed roof (which I believe is city hall) in both the old and new pictures. In the new photo, it's directly behind the Times Square Building.

Rochester could have been the San Antonio of the North...what a shame!!! Lesson for Houston: HISTORIC PRESERVARION IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!

scm00894.jpg

Edited by mike1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with my friend who is involved in this project still and last time we talked which was a while back his opinion was that the project was dead. However the Orion people have come back to the table to talk about starting up again. The only catch is that they have less money than original planned and the budget as of right now is much smaller. If built, the building will not be as elaborate as once thought. My guess is that the building will have to go through an rather large redesign to get rid of some of the architectural features tht are driving up the costs. We will see.

On a side note the question about the work going on right now is the completion of the utility lines being installed and the prep work for the building foundation. Ths was put under contract in order to get started while the building itself was getting the problems with the design worked out.

Nobody knows what will have to change yet, it is way to early to tell. And the feature on top is not an eagle, it is a pegasus according to the original drawings. If this drawing moves forward it will be modified drastically. The Orion people came back with a 20% reduction in budget. That is a big chunk of money, so I think the building, if built will look nothing like the original intention.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how many of their buyers they lost. Public and consumer confidence in the project is so well eroded at this point that it would take a small miracle for them to convince people that they know what they are doing and can make good on their promises. I know quite a few buyers who have taken back their deposits and went elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

So I went by this weekend...the sign out front is gone and there's a note on the sales office door saying they're closed and who to call.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the 10 acres of bayou-front real estate...sell it as one lot, sell it as 10-20 large home lots, or do the Rice Military and build 150 townhomes (which would do wonders for traffic).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...