Highland Tower: Condominium High-Rise At 2207 Bancroft Ln.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that kind of annoys me as well.

Meanwhile, I anticipate the transformation of that section of Uptown, considering the construction activity taking place on this tower as well as at the adjacent High Street site.

Are there any renderings that show how much it'll be transforming Uptown? I can only find renders of the building itself - no surroundings. The pictures of downtown on their website are pretty awesome though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, according to that article it's not dead-dead, just on hold.

Doesn't surprise me, now that the R-bomb has officially been dropped. Confident in these projects is low, the only way to get that confidence back is to have more early leasers and solid numbers to go by.

If anything this can become an "on hold" thread... seems like we need one :mellow:

Included also are the cancellation of Turnberry Tower, the on hold status of Sonoma.

I'm sure coming soon to the on hold list will be West Ave. Phase II.

I'm sure other haif'ers can name out plenty more.

I chose to stay optimistic however. This may be a bump in the road, but the road doesn't stop here.

• Like 1

Well, according to that article it's not dead-dead, just on hold.

Doesn't surprise me, now that the R-bomb has officially been dropped. Confident in these projects is low, the only way to get that confidence back is to have more early leasers and solid numbers to go by.

If anything this can become an "on hold" thread... seems like we need one :mellow:

Included also are the cancellation of Turnberry Tower, the on hold status of Sonoma.

I'm sure coming soon to the on hold list will be West Ave. Phase II.

I'm sure other haif'ers can name out plenty more.

I chose to stay optimistic however. This may be a bump in the road, but the road doesn't stop here.

I think projects are rarely "officially" canceled, they just sort of go on hold and never come back, like the Shamrock downtown. Dozens of projects never made it back from the local crash in the 1980s. I'm thinking we can start another installment of the "Unbuilt Houston" topic.

I was reading a Houston market report last night and it mentioned the danger with all the developments currently going up is that the area could be over-built come 2010 or '11. If anything, maybe we can look at this in a good way in that when they do start building and the finally finish it, maybe it'll be the start of another boom and the city can hit the ground running again.

• Like 1

This might as well be merged with the existing High Street thread since the entire piece is solely about that project.

Curious as to what will become of the first structure that was started. Looked like they had finished putting up the building's framework and were about to start working on the individual floors.

I agree, vote for merge.

• Like 1

How so? I would have thought most people are affected in some manner, even the target audience here, which is presumably River Oaks/Afton Oaks/Galleria residents.

What I don't understand is how it would be canceled if construction had already started.

Perhaps they ran out of $? Or credit?

thats the thing............the banks should have loaned the money. Thats what the banks are for. And building this type of property in one of the richest areas in teh country should provide comfort to the banks in loaning the money. However, the banks dont want to loan out the money, they want to buy more banks instead.

This thing getting postponed/cancelled is a good thing. We do not need any more retail in the inner loop and with Houston Pavilions going up and starting off with a good start, it should help centralize traffic and retailers back to downtown vs. sprawling it out all throughout inner loop houston. I think if this thing gets going in 2010 or 2011 it should do fine, but this is actually the best thing for Houston Development.

thats the thing............the banks should have loaned the money. Thats what the banks are for.

That's not what banks are for. Banks are for making money for their shareholders. They're not going to throw money away on projects won't make a profit. Maybe you think it will make a profit. Maybe they don't.

• Like 1

We really are a joke of a city. Dallas gets cool half-built highrises... We're stuck with a measly half-built 4-story building.

Don't forget "Stonehenge" and it's garage across from the Meyerson. That's been sitting there for about 20 years just waiting to have the rest of something built on top of it!

• Like 1

The unfortunate part about all of these cancellations and delays, including the new light rail lines, is that none of it will be here for the 2011 Final Four, which seems to be a nice showcase for the city.

There will still be noticeable improvements since the 2004 Super Bowl, though, especially downtown. However having a W or Ritz would be nice for these kind of events.

• 2 months later...

For a project that's said to be on hold, there's been some amount of activity recently. If you get a look down Mid Lane near the intersection of Westheimer, there are a bunch of concrete columns now up that weren't there within the past few weeks, and there are still a number of people working on the site. The mid-rise that was halted previously, still looks untouched for the moment.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Highland Tower: Condominiums At 2207 Bancroft Ln.
  • The title was changed to Highland Tower: Condominium High-Rise At 2207 Bancroft Ln.