Metrorail Strikes Cyclist

editor

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hitchcock classic - Strangers on a Metro Rail

or Throw Momma from a Metro Rail?

Didn't George Thoroughgood have a song called TRAIN?

Could redo Chattanooga Choo Choo ...Pardon me boys is that the Metro Rail Choo Choo? Track 29! There's gonna be a certain party at the station...

Steven King could write a horror film about the rail too! It seems Cujo-like sometimes. :o:lol:

This whole thing with vehicles and people hit or getting hit by the Metrorail is ridiculous!

People need to PAY ATTENTION when they drive, walk or ride.

I used to work downtown and never had ANY problem with the rail. I never came close to getting hit by the train whether on foot or in vehicle.

Maybe that's because I can read traffic signals.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like the Operator was definitely at fault. 5 day suspension and retraining.

Oops. :)

That was going to happen anyway from just a liability standpoint. Same thing happens to bus drivers when they are involved in accident, they all get the retrain thing. The 5 days is with pay and is the time it will take for him to complete the 40 hrs of training.

... and Rufus Thomas and Tom Waits. Great movie.

...and unless my memory fails me, Screamin' Jay Hawkins! Good movie...

Anyways back to the subject at hand...the Metrorail operator is officially at fault.

That now makes the score what, 100-2 in favor of stupid drivers? To my knowledge, this is only the second incident in 4 years that has been the fault of Metro.

...and unless my memory fails me, Screamin' Jay Hawkins! Good movie...

Anyways back to the subject at hand...the Metrorail operator is officially at fault.

That now makes the score what, 100-2 in favor of stupid drivers? To my knowledge, this is only the second incident in 4 years that has been the fault of Metro.

Human errors do occur...but I still don't see a scenario where death can't be averted. That is, if one is paying attention to their surroundings and not blabbering on a cell phone, for example.

YOU sir, are CORRECT! (Putting on my Best Ed McMahon imitation)

Ever since Actionamerica.com got demoralized, it used to be a way to keep track of the tally. The first incident involved an operator that either misjudged the distance or had a fit or road rage.

Now if they can only train them to operate the trains more SMOOTHLY. Some of them have such a smooth touch you can barely feel the acceleration and stopping. But on others I almost lose my balance throughout the ride.

YOU sir, are CORRECT! (Putting on my Best Ed McMahon imitation)

Ever since Actionamerica.com got demoralized, it used to be a way to keep track of the tally. The first incident involved an operator that either misjudged the distance or had a fit or road rage.

Now if they can only train them to operate the trains more SMOOTHLY. Some of them have such a smooth touch you can barely feel the acceleration and stopping. But on others I almost lose my balance throughout the ride.

Thanks!

Again, having worked downtown -- those trains pretty much CREEP down the track. I still believe -- operator error or not -- you'd have to be a complete idiot to get hit by one of these trains. You'd have to be paying ZERO attention, stoned out of your mind or drunk off your ass, etc...to get hit by one.

I'm sorry...I just don't see it happening to ME for example. Well, maybe if my car was OVER the tracks, stuck in traffic with a car in front and a car in back and the train coming before I could move the car.

Maybe then I could get hit by a Metrorail trail. :lol:

Here's the very brief statement issued by Metro:

METRO has completed its investigation of the Feb. 8th METRORail collision with a bicyclist in the Texas Medical Center and determined the operator was at fault in the accident.

Consistent with METRO

No way this was the train's fault and I'll offer up this story as Exhibit A on how it's utterly foolish and irresponsible to do anything (bike, jog, walk on downtown streets) in traffic while wearing headphones.

Is it more irresponsible to ride with music than to listen to the radio in a car? The important thing either way is to not have the music too loud to hear what is going on about you.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is the latest on this episode:

Oops.

Also, page 10:

http://ridemetro.org/images/PDFs/ttifr.pdf

LRV operators are not permitted to pass a horizontal STOP bar without explicit permission from METRORail Control.

That's what I was thinking was going on...

"She sounded her gong and proceeded southbound," the report says. "A bicyclist entered the path of the train and Operator Granderson was unable to stop short of making contact."

Since the accident, it says, she has been "counseled regarding the importance of proceeding cautiously" when authorized to go through a bar signal.

Seems like the train operator couldn't have second-guessed or been "pre" cautious about what was about to happen...

With problems already happening that day, METRO ignored standard operating procedures and gave the driver permission to ignore the signal. With the accident happening in a busy pedestrian area, giving the driver a proceed with caution seems like a problem just waiting to happen.

METRO has completed its investigation of the Feb. 8th METRORail collision with a bicyclist in the Texas Medical Center and determined the operator was at fault in the accident.

Consistent with METRO

Archived