Metrorail Strikes Cyclist

editor

It's not like these trains jump track and randomly run into things, their path is designated, you must pull in front of them to be impacted in any way. And it's not the Nippon Bullet Train, traveling at 275 mph, this one travels at what 40 mph at the most. And from what I have read there's only one fatality documented, and it was the mans fault that ran the light on Jefferson in his pickup truck. Trains are a good thing, Some Houston drivers are not. If you don't pull in front of the train, you don't get hit, it's pretty darn simple. Get off that cell phone and pay attention to what you are doing. Stick iPod up your keyster where it will really do you some good while you are driving. Less distractions, less incidents, simple.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I find that there are so few pedestrians here in Houston that you can often ride on the sidewalks to avoid busy streets and nobody notices. I know that you're technically not supposed to, but when nobody is walking on them it's hard to resist. The exceptions to that are probably the medical center, and downtown 9-5 on weekdays.

Actually I think cyclists can use the sidewalk. At least if there is an ordinance it's not enforced. I've biked past cops countless times in the Med Center on the sidewalk and they don't bat an eyelid.

CITY OF HOUSTON ORDINANCES

Section 45-302

No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk in the City of Houston within a business district or where prohibited by sign. A business district is defined as "the territory contiguous to and including a roadway when, within 600 feet along such roadway, there are buildings in use for business or industrial purpose which occupy 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway". Also, bicyclists are required to yield to pedestrians and give an audible signal to pedestrians when riding on approved sidewalks. (In general, bicyclists are permitted to ride on sidewalks unless prohibited by local ordinances, although experienced cyclists usually agree that it is much safer to ride on the street and follow the laws as they apply to any other vehicle.)

Section 45-311

This ordinance requires all bicycles to be registered. Owners of non registered bicycles can be ticketed and fined $5. Bicycles can be registered for a fee of $1.00 at many Houston fire stations.

Article 6701.d. Section 182

Requires that a bicycle ride with the flow of traffic. Riding with the traffic makes the cyclist more visible and predictable, especially at intersections.

City Ordinance No. 95-813

Children under the age of 18 who operate or ride on a bicycle or any side car, trailer, child carrier, seat or other device attached to a bicycle must wear a bicycle helmet.

hey that sounds like a good song title "blame it on the train". Maybe tomorrow I'll mess around a little on Metros new theme song. You never know, I might make a few bucks off of it. :P

Well played. We have a motley crew of local politicans who would love to appear in that video!

CITY OF HOUSTON ORDINANCES

Section 45-302

No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk in the City of Houston within a business district or where prohibited by sign. A business district is defined as "the territory contiguous to and including a roadway when, within 600 feet along such roadway, there are buildings in use for business or industrial purpose which occupy 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway". Also, bicyclists are required to yield to pedestrians and give an audible signal to pedestrians when riding on approved sidewalks. (In general, bicyclists are permitted to ride on sidewalks unless prohibited by local ordinances, although experienced cyclists usually agree that it is much safer to ride on the street and follow the laws as they apply to any other vehicle.)

Section 45-311

This ordinance requires all bicycles to be registered. Owners of non registered bicycles can be ticketed and fined $5. Bicycles can be registered for a fee of $1.00 at many Houston fire stations.

Article 6701.d. Section 182

Requires that a bicycle ride with the flow of traffic. Riding with the traffic makes the cyclist more visible and predictable, especially at intersections.

City Ordinance No. 95-813

Children under the age of 18 who operate or ride on a bicycle or any side car, trailer, child carrier, seat or other device attached to a bicycle must wear a bicycle helmet.

Like I said, apparently it's not enforced. I've done it countless times. It's not like anyone's walking on them. And on the rare occasion I do meet someone I give them a wide berth.

Aw man, I have to register my bike? I hope I don't get that $5 fine!!!!

Actually I registered my last bike with the RUPD, but I'm not sure if that's the same as registering it with the city at a fire department. And then it was stolen. My new bike is totally unregistered.

Doesn't happen to me, and I walk those streets all day long. Sorry that you do not feel safe. My office is right in front of Preston Station, and I never have a problem, whether on foot, on a bike, or in my car. Not sure what to tell you if you are that uncomfortable, other than to stay away from the trains.

i have a certain expectation that a light will last enough time for a vehicle or pedestrian to make it across the street, even at a good pace. when the trains are nearby, that expectation can be nipped.

two differences: I looked where I was going, and I wasn't listening to my iPod. It's one of the most irresponsible things you can do, and lends weight to motorists' negative opinions of cyclists.

My momma taught me to look both ways whenever I crossed any street.. so this girl is still at fault here. She would have been plowed over by an 18 wheeler just as easily.

However.. the ipod part of the story may not have been a factor in this case.

"At first, investigators on scene said it appeared that the woman was unaware the train was approaching because she was wearing headphones and couldn't hear the train's warning horn. But later in the day, they confirmed that the woman was not wearing headphones at the time." - From the KHOU article

No way this was the train's fault and I'll offer up this story as Exhibit A on how it's utterly foolish and irresponsible to do anything (bike, jog, walk on downtown streets) in traffic while wearing headphones.

Another thing, you've gotta have nerves of steel to be a train driver through the medical center. Did anyone else notice all the other people in the video running around in front of the train who didn't get hit? I see it downtown on Main Street all the time, but from the driver's view it looks quite disturbing. Are people really that foolhardy?

yeah, pretty much see it every day.

There has been more than a few times I've been tempted to carry a horn in my pocket to scare them. I've seen more than a few rail operators mutter something that looked like a curse word.

Kinda' makes me wonder how sound proof that cabin is and if they actually go on small (but outwardly composed) tirades and curse out loud.

My momma taught me to look both ways whenever I crossed any street.. so this girl is still at fault here. She would have been plowed over by an 18 wheeler just as easily.

However.. the ipod part of the story may not have been a factor in this case.

"At first, investigators on scene said it appeared that the woman was unaware the train was approaching because she was wearing headphones and couldn't hear the train's warning horn. But later in the day, they confirmed that the woman was not wearing headphones at the time." - From the KHOU article

I thought I saw a pair of white earphones in the video. And I had no prior details on the incident so was not expecting to see them.

It's not like these trains jump track and randomly run into things, their path is designated, you must pull in front of them to be impacted in any way. And it's not the Nippon Bullet Train, traveling at 275 mph, this one travels at what 40 mph at the most. And from what I have read there's only one fatality documented, and it was the mans fault that ran the light on Jefferson in his pickup truck. Trains are a good thing, Some Houston drivers are not. If you don't pull in front of the train, you don't get hit, it's pretty darn simple. Get off that cell phone and pay attention to what you are doing. Stick iPod up your keyster where it will really do you some good while you are driving. Less distractions, less incidents, simple.

Best Post Ever.

I'd also like to add that the Darwin Line scores another point.

Now, just imagine this thing running down Post Oak BLVD. It will become fatality central.

I think it would be less of an issue since nobody walks or bikes round the galleria. its suburban-style configuration precludes it. a lot more people walk round the med center than round there. there *will* be a lot of midsize Lexus SUVs bouncing off it though, lol.

Now, just imagine this thing running down Post Oak BLVD. It will become fatality central.

Believe it or not, I would suspect that people anyone that would get hit in this area would be from the Houston area. The reason why I say this is when you are in an unfamiliar place, you become more aware of your surroundings because you don't know what to expect. A local has a tendency to be a bit relaxed in their vigilance.

I wish darwin would act faster, personally.

I think it would be less of an issue since nobody walks or bikes round the galleria. its suburban-style configuration precludes it. a lot more people walk round the med center than round there. there *will* be a lot of midsize Lexus SUVs bouncing off it though, lol.

To slightly build off of this post, most of the accidents occur in the Med Center on Fanin. I understand the utility of having the train go through there, but that stretch of road is incredibly crowded and there's no way to prevent cars from turning left across the tracks because some of those buildings and garages are only accessible from that road. It might have been smarter to elevate or bury that section of track when it was being built, but it is what it is and I don't think you see things quite as bad on the other proposed routes.

Believe it or not, I would suspect that people anyone that would get hit in this area would be from the Houston area. The reason why I say this is when you are in an unfamiliar place, you become more aware of your surroundings because you don't know what to expect. A local has a tendency to be a bit relaxed in their vigilance.

I wish darwin would act faster, personally.

I agree. There are a lot of elderly that drive in this area. They hate change and often defy it. They will be driving and walking right into these trains.

Interesting how people draw conclusions from limited evidence. Human nature I suppose...probably how this forum had a fatalistic title to it. I'm reading now that the Metro driver ran a red light and the pedestrians had the right of way.

Interesting how people draw conclusions from limited evidence. Human nature I suppose...probably how this forum had a fatalistic title to it. I'm reading now that the Metro driver ran a red light and the pedestrians had the right of way.

are Metro drivers bound by vehicle traffic lights? don't they have their own signals?

a walk sign does not mean go for a pedestrian. Like a green light for a car, it means proceed with caution.

Well, I pointed that out in one post. But what idiot crosses a street and NOT look both ways even when you have the light?

When I'm walking in downtown I ALWAYS look BOTH ways, even on one way streets. Those messenger bikers can hurt, not to mention those rebellious bike cops.

"We know that she was wearing headphones," METRO Police Chief Tom Lambert said, "She was riding bike, not looking to what happened. The train was headed down the track at 12 mph according to the on-board computer."

Now Channel 2 is saying it's the operators fault because the train had a horizontal line on the signal in the video. It's hard to tell if it changed at the last minute or not, it's raw footage. The trains don't stop on a dime, however it did stop fast once the cyclist ran in front of him. I am sure people were tossed everywhere inside, and that's not the objective if a signal changes when the train is 50 ft from a crosswalk. Curious to see what becomes of this.

are Metro drivers bound by vehicle traffic lights? don't they have their own signals?

I am not able to view the KHOU video on Firefox or IE (is it anywhere else other than KHOU?) but there are times when the rail has the right of way through red lights.

edit - saw the KPRC video - the rail light was definitely horizontal

I am not able to view the KHOU video on Firefox or IE (is it anywhere else other than KHOU?) but there are times when the rail has the right of way through red lights.

edit - saw the KPRC video - the rail light was definitely horizontal

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about when they said, "preventable." I saw the horizonal light and I went "uh-oh." This this just proves she didn't know how to properly cross the street. Personally that particular light gets on my nerves and I don't think it should be there.

Don't even get me started on those idiots. :angry:

I took out a messenger with my side mirror, turns out it was a friend, so he hobbled off. He bought me a drink or two a few weeks later when I saw him again.

Funny there was a cop three feet from her that didn't have a chance to grab her before she pulled in front of the train. Of course he's probably not expecting the idiot to do it either. Looks as though three people were waiting to cross, including the cop, and the biker just pulled out in front of the moving train and never looked to see what was coming. Something tells me she will from now on. And she's surgeon? Hope she's more observant when she's got someone opened up on the table.

Rules of METRORailStop

• Do not walk in front of, between or behind the trains.
  • Trains can start or stop quickly regardless of traffic flow.
  • Do not drive, stop or park your vehicle on the tracks. It's dangerous and illegal.
  • Look
  • Always cross the tracks at designated pedestrian crossings and only when it is safe to do so.
  • Always look both ways before crossing the tracks. Trains travel in both directions.
  • Obey all warning signs: flashing lights, signals and crossing gates. Police will issue tickets to violators.
  • Listen
  • Stay alert. METRORail is quieter than a bus and most cars. You may not hear it coming.
  • Listen for train horns and signal bells.
  • Follow instructions from police officers. (Oops that one didn't work out)
  • And Never
  • Never race a train or run in front of a train.
  • Never try to beat the train to a crossing.
  • Even with a tie you lose.
  • Never drive around crossing gate arms.
  • Never stand on or near the tracks.
  • Never put anything on or near the tracks.

http://www.ridemetro.org/TransportationSer...oRailSaftey.asp

...and bicycle safety:

http://www.ridemetro.org/TransportationSer...MetroRailBG.asp

Also, page 10:

http://ridemetro.org/images/PDFs/ttifr.pdf

Throughout the METRORail system, bar indicators are used to inform rail operators whether or not they may safely enter a traffic intersection. A vertical bar indicates that all conflicting traffic movements are being signaled to stop and that the LRV may proceed through the intersection. LRV operators are not permitted to pass a horizontal STOP bar without explicit permission from METRORail Control. This is an appropriate rule for it tells the rail operator that it is not safe to enter the intersection.

Typically, bar indicators are of a size, shape, and color so as not to be confused by motorists as traffic signals. The indicators as used in the METRORail system are clearly different are not a known source of confusion for motorists.

Archived