Harris County Courthouses And Square

SpaceCity

Well, since you're asking, I've always held a little place in my heart for the downtown library. I think it's the way it sits like a big hunk of out-of-place concrete next to the old library and city hall; the way, to me, it represents "cutting-edge" architecture of the "urban cowboy" 70's Houston.

• Like 1

Well, since you're asking, I've always held a little place in my heart for the downtown library. I think it's the way it sits like a big hunk of out-of-place concrete next to the old library and city hall; the way, to me, it represents "cutting-edge" architecture of the "urban cowboy" 70's Houston.

Agreed, the library's Jones Building is especially awesome at night when it's all lit up inside. The library's 1926 Juila Ideson Building next door is one of the most beautiful buildings in Texas. Drive by the library's newest building at 7405 Stella Link between Braeswood and Bellaire, it's also a fantastic building. Those three buildings are all completely different styles of architecture and from different eras but are all excellent examples of architecture that is/was contemporary for its own time. The county and many people who are in the postition of making decisions about what gets built are stuck in a 19th century time warp and won't come out.

Most of us prefer cars from 2005, not 1945. We rather use a Pentium4 or G5 computer than an IBM Selectric typewriter to get our work done. We prefer a microwave to rubbing two sticks together to warm our food. We prefer a cellphone to a telegraph, but when it comes to buildings - so many people can only find comfort, beauty, and legitimacy in design types from 100 or more years ago.

I don't get it.

• Like 1

Because design is important.  It helps make a city great, instead of just a collection of structures.  Nobody is claiming that cities can be made up exclusively of exceptional architecture, but that doesn't lead to the conclusion that we should threfore gladly accept, or a least not criticize, mediocre buildings.  Density is only one consideration of many; it isn't necessarily the most important one.  I think Houston as a whole has been way too willing, over way too long a period, to accept any kind of second-rate development for the sake of development, without considering its broader contribution to the city.  We love this city, so why should we not have higher standards for how it is built?

I guess maybe I just like that building. I would probably have a differnt opinion if it looked like the Mercer.

I dont know why I like it, I just do. It has a mediteranean feel to it, almost, with that dome (I assume its going to be gold in color). I like the way the color of the building flows with some of those older buildings in that side of downtown, not to mention MMP. I like the features of it also.

But that's just me.

As far as public buildings go the Moneo addition to the MFAH (the Beck building) is a great example of Islamic architecture, especially its interior and the top floor. The subterrainean patio with its series of cascading pools adjacent to Cafe Express does not work for some reason. It always appears dirty, windswept and uninviting.

The new Metro building on the Pierce elevated is conservative but quite nice in its overall impact. I like it.

The Texas Heart Institute, hidden from Holcombe Street behind a huge and obtrusive parking garage, is an excellent example of what a thoughtful architect can do. Imo it's among the best buildings built in Houston in the last several years.

The uncompleted Harris County court building squats on the downtown landscape like a rear-ended Cadillac waiting to be towed. The people of Harris County need an expanded county court complex. That is undeniable but God save us from being judged by the people responsible for this unfortunate squandering of taxpayer resources.

• Like 1

As far as public buildings go the Moneo addition to the MFAH (the Beck building) is a great example of Islamic architecture, especially its interior and the top floor.  The subterrainean patio with its series of cascading pools adjacent to Cafe Express does not work for some reason.  It always appears dirty, windswept and uninviting.

The new Metro building on the Pierce elevated is conservative but quite nice in its overall impact.  I like it.

The Texas Heart Institute, hidden from Holcombe Street behind a huge and obtrusive parking garage, is an excellent example of what a thoughtful architect can do. Imo it's among the best buildings built in Houston in the last several years.

The uncompleted Harris County court building squats on the downtown landscape like a rear-ended Cadillac waiting to be towed.  The people of Harris County need an expanded county court complex.  That is undeniable but God save us from being judged by the people responsible for this unfortunate squandering of taxpayer resources.

Agreed!

• Like 1

It's not a great building, but look what's around it. You can't expect the highest standards when there's nothing to work off of. Architects (or architecture enthusiasts) might know how to make it better, but for regular folks to demand more, there has to be an existing environment that people can look at and say, "Whoa, this doesn't work here!" And perhaps as more buildings go up in the area, people will start to be critical and say, "this one adds, this one detracts." It takes time to build public taste, and mistakes have to be made along the way. But when all you have is decayed buildings and parking lots, anything is a step in the right direction.

Besides, it really isn't that bad. I think that from the freeways or the air, it adds a new feature to our skyline.

• Like 1

I have to agree with H-Town on this point.

You have to remember that there has been an age-old problem with making a building look good and having a building that's functional. There are many instances of buildings that LOOK great, but are structual failures.

In regards to the looks of a building overall being subjective:

The Eiffel Tower in Paris was considered an eye-sore for years. Who is to say that the courthouse won't endure?

Then again, I wouldn't want my tax dollars to make something look pretty, but be so ineffecient that we'd have to build another in a few years.

Ricco

• Like 1

the meyerson symphony center in dallas is simply beautiful.  but for the most part, it seems a lot of new designers attempt to go for shock value instead of true beauty.  houston's symphony counterpart jones hall just looks like a bomb shelter.

Interesting. I've never known anyone to call Jones Hall a bomb shelter. I think it's an amazing building (especially in plan) and also beautiful. Different strokes...

jones hall is a classic piece of modern architecture. i wonder if danes75 has been inside jones hall? i didn't appreciate jones hall until i had been inside several times. i was sitting upstairs at a cafe table up against a wall this past year (k.d.lang with the houston symphony). i've been in this area several times over the years but never noticed how the limestone wall panels extend out past the windows. it is kind of a frank lloyd wright experience. the definition of inside and out is subtly blurred where these tall "sliver" windows are placed. it was after seeing "stomp" one year that i began to realize the soft curved facade that provides wonderful flow for crowds leaving jones hall. the curved facade inside the square, block size portico is my favorite design feature. (i hope i'm getting my architectural terms correct.) when i was younger, i perceived this building as simply an off white square. it took several years for me to begin to appreciate it's nuances. however, i'm not fond of the long....long rows of seats, the size of the seats or the red carpet. always, always purchase box seats if you have the means.

jones hall is a classic piece of modern architecture.  i wonder if danes75 has been inside jones hall?  i didn't appreciate jones hall until i had been inside several times.  i was sitting upstairs at a cafe table up against a wall this past year (k.d.lang with the houston symphony).  i've been in this area several times over the years but never noticed how the limestone wall panels extend out past the windows.  it is kind of a frank lloyd wright experience.  the definition of inside and out is subtly blurred where these tall "sliver" windows are placed.  it was after seeing "stomp" one year that i began to realize the soft curved facade that provides wonderful flow for crowds leaving jones hall. the curved facade inside the square, block size portico is my favorite design feature. (i hope i'm getting my architectural terms correct.)  when i was younger, i perceived this building as simply an off white square.  it took several years for me to begin to appreciate it's nuances.  however, i'm not fond of the long....long rows of seats, the size of the seats or the red carpet.  always, always purchase box seats if you have the means.

I like Jones Hall too. It's very elegant the way it sits on that gently sloping lot and the creamy exterior and tall, thin columns are very pleasing to me. I'm not sure what a bomb shelter looks like on the outside. I agree about the long rows of seats. About ten years ago I attended Diana Ross's last Houston concert. She went unwisely) into the audience and down a long row of seats. She became disoriented and panic ensued because she couldn't get out. She definitely lost it.

I agree too with Danes75 about the Meyerson. It's an excellent piece of architecture and easily gets my vote for best place to hear a symphony orchestra in our fair estado.

jones hall is a classic piece of modern architecture.  i wonder if danes75 has been inside jones hall?  i didn't appreciate jones hall until i had been inside several times.  i was sitting upstairs at a cafe table up against a wall this past year (k.d.lang with the houston symphony).  i've been in this area several times over the years but never noticed how the limestone wall panels extend out past the windows.  it is kind of a frank lloyd wright experience.  the definition of inside and out is subtly blurred where these tall "sliver" windows are placed.  it was after seeing "stomp" one year that i began to realize the soft curved facade that provides wonderful flow for crowds leaving jones hall. the curved facade inside the square, block size portico is my favorite design feature. (i hope i'm getting my architectural terms correct.)  when i was younger, i perceived this building as simply an off white square.  it took several years for me to begin to appreciate it's nuances.  however, i'm not fond of the long....long rows of seats, the size of the seats or the red carpet.  always, always purchase box seats if you have the means.

It's not a classic piece of modern architecture. It's a good period piece. The El Paso building, the University of St. Thomas, the Brown Pavilion at MFAH may qualify as classics of modern architecture, it depends how stingy you're being with the term 'classic.' The Kimball Museum in Fort Worth might be the only hands-down classic in Texas.

I think Jones Hall is a nice building, but here's the problem: it's a mediocre concert hall. It was designed as a multi-purpose auditorium that has since been altered to improve its acoustics for symphony. Comparing it to one of the nation's great, dedicated concert halls is like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. I hope that in a few years we can get a new concert hall, and then hopefully save Jones and use it for something else (but I doubt it). Also, consider that when Jones was built, none of the tall buildings around it were there. Think of the untapped potential for complementing that section of the skyline.

I have actually been in Jones Hall. The interiors are nice, but the building itself is not. Same goes for the Wortham Center. Its a box... plain and simple. The interiors are ok, but those giant sculpture things by the escalators are definately not my taste. Its a bit like saying the interiors of the new justice center may be exquisite... even though the structure looks a bit like half a tampon.

And what IS the deal with the lights at night? Houston's skyline is much nicer than Dallas', but at night there's no comparison that Dallas' looks better. Why the hell don't they light anything?

• Like 1

And what IS the deal with the lights at night? Houston's skyline is much nicer than Dallas', but at night there's no comparison that Dallas' looks better. Why the hell don't they light anything?

Houston's cheap. plain and simple. The building owners here act like lighting their buildings with some style is going to cause the business to go bankrupt. I do hope to see the dome lit up in a more fashionable manor.

I'm not sure if cheap is the reason entirely. I think someone posted a while back that there was an ordinance passed some years ago that limited what could be put on downtown highrises in terms of lighting and marquees. This may not entirely be the reason why there is lighting on Houston's central skyscrapers compared to some others but I think that it's played a part in it.

I think the lighting on BOA tower is more a case of being a bit too understated rather than not having ANY lighting. There is lighting in the niches of the corners at the higher elevations but the lighting is very subdued. Stronger lighting in those areas would bring that building out. As for the former Enron Towers, the newer tower should have more consistently strong lighting now that it has a legitimate, longterm owner.

I think the biggest calamity is the absence of lighting on the Texaco Heritage Tower, Chase Tower and Chevron Towers. Their heights and positioning within the skyline screams for enhanced lighting at night. If the Chevron Tower were lit in the same fashion as the new 5 Houston Center, I think that alone would improve the skyline's night visibility.

As for the topic at hand, I have to believe that the dome will be lit in some fashion but the question for me is will it be modest like most of the other buildings downtown or will it be a bit more extravagant?

• Like 1

Houston is cheap? The building owners in Dallas and Houston are all the same. I think lighting downtown buildings is being overplayed here. So what if Dallas is more lit up at night. Both downtowns would be a beacon to nowhere. I'd rather concentrate on getting more people downtown at night. Lighting is secondary

• Like 1

Actually, I also don't mind the lack of lights. I'd rather work on street level activity during the day AND night as well as working on getting a higher occupancy level downtown.

As for the new courthouse dome being lit... even if they do light her in grand fashion, I'd give it about ONE week before there would be an official petition calling on turning off the lights because it's a waste of tax payer money... Building owners aren't the only cheap folks out there.

• Like 1

Interesting observation.  How so?  In that it is inward-facing rather than addressing the street?

Yes, exactly SD. The subterrainean waterfall is a perfect example of this. Those 'watercooler' vents on top are a little disconcerting but appropriate to this design as they allow a diffuse, natural light to illuminate the upper salons and make the two stark windows overlooking St. Paul's and downtown and the old museum along Main seem less abrupt. The building's stark and modern Binz Street face interacts nicely with the surrounding institutional buildings. Unfortunately, the Beck's back face does nothing for the front entrance to the old and well-furnished Warwick Hotel. I guess that's what they get for cutting that old tapestry to fit.