Houston Bidding For 2012 Super Bowl

Trae

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=0900...mp;confirm=true

The major point cited in Dallas' advantage for the 2011 game over Indianapolis was that its new stadium could hold up to 100,000 for the Super Bowl. The new $700 million Lucas Oil Stadium scheduled for completion in August in Indianapolis has a potential capacity of about 70,000. Miles said that Phoenix, Houston and New Orleans were among the cities that might also submit bids for the 2012 game.

Damn, I hope we get it...

Houston Chronicle's Article

Texas could host back-to-back Super Bowls if the NFL accepts Houston's bid to hold the 2012 game at Reliant Park.

Government officials and business leaders announced the bid Wednesday, saying Houston can offer more stadium seats, convention center space and parking spots than any other Super Bowl site.

If they were to build the Astrodome hotel, they'd REALLY have a shot. Otherwise, I can't see Houston beating out Indiana for 2012. 2013, maybe.

They have everything in Arlington...

No, just 2 theme parks and the Rangers. Fort Worth has the Texas Motor Speedway and everything else is in Dallas. Arlington doesn't even have a mass transit system, which I hope they fix before 2011.

Houston does have a good chance of hosting at least once in the next 10 years. I mean, beside San Diego, New Orleans and Miami, who would Houston be up against?

I don't know if we will get it... I remember hearing that they don't like awarding the Super Bowl to cities where the teams are worth a lot of money.... unless the city builds a new stadium like Houston did and like Dallas / Arlington is now doing.

Yes, sometimes sudden, ridiculous nipple emergence and the ensuing, insipid media frenzy can be preferable to a nice event with national exposure occurring in one's hometown.

;)

Why not Nelly Furtado or Jessica Simpson at least?

If Houston does host in the next few years, I wonder what ridiculous things people will say and write. I recall in 2004 a Boston Herald article that said Houston had only two kinds of food: "Tex and Mex". Clever, eh?

Imagine. It's the year 2012. Tourists for the Super Bowl see all the newly finished skyscrapers in downtown and can see the second major skyline (Uptown/Galleria) in the distance with a hopeful 80-story building.

Nice

I mean, it was a nipple ... not a 'weapon of mass destruction'.

I respectfully disagree with you on that. It ruined live TV/Radio. Blew it to hell, but whatever.

After hearing a news report on TV they didn't seem very enthusiastic that we will get a superbowl since we're not "big market" enough.

Nevermind we have the stadium packed for every game and have been one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL when it comes to gear sold, fan loyalty, and tickets sold.

We have won rave reviews by everyone that has been here that WASN'T involved with the press. While our hotel situation wasn't the best, it will be greatly increased by at least 800 rooms (1800+ if the new convention hotel is built) in downtown alone. Since the Superbowl, we have increased at least 1200 rooms in the galleria alone.

the next couple of cities that have gotten the event have were not well received (Detroit and Jacksonville), and I don't keep track of such things enough to know what the other cities have done.

Our city has improved(and improving) our transit system,we have more entertainment venues, hotels, and are (or will be) on par with San Diego, Miami, San Fransisco, and L.A.

New Orleans isn't even in the same league with us anymore, all they have are a bunch of empty hotels and bourbon street.

If we don't get the Event, it will be strictly politics, prejudice against our city, or our politicians can't bribe them enough.

Do we want the superbowl here? Yes.

Would it help our city image? yes, but look what happened last time.

Do we NEED the superbowl? Hardly.

The biggest hurdle for Houston is the fact that Bob McNair is a "big money" owner in the NFL, one that opposed increasing the revenue sharing system to help the "poorer" owners. There's a lot of politics behind the scene and Bob's going to have to find some way to sweeten the pot.

Remember, Arlington, even with the new stadium and a relatively favorable climate, still had a bit of a struggle securing the 2011 bid from Indy, mainly because Jerry had to deal with small-market owners who hold a bit of a resentment of the likes of him, Bob McNair, Bob Kraft and other big market owners.

I tend to think Indy is the favorite to get the 2012 bid, although theyj'll still have to face the potential problem of being a smaller metropolitan venue (not as small as Jacksonville but not as big as other host cities).

Indy's hosted Final Fours obviously but the Super Bowl is that times three.

The biggest hurdle for Houston is the fact that Bob McNair is a "big money" owner in the NFL, one that opposed increasing the revenue sharing system to help the "poorer" owners. There's a lot of politics behind the scene and Bob's going to have to find some way to sweeten the pot.

Exactly.

Remember, Arlington, even with the new stadium and a relatively favorable climate, still had a bit of a struggle securing the 2011 bid from Indy, mainly because Jerry had to deal with small-market owners who hold a bit of a resentment of the likes of him, Bob McNair, Bob Kraft and other big market owners.

I tend to think Indy is the favorite to get the 2012 bid, although theyj'll still have to face the potential problem of being a smaller metropolitan venue (not as small as Jacksonville but not as big as other host cities).

Indy's hosted Final Fours obviously but the Super Bowl is that times three.

Indy definitely would have a leg up, just because of a new stadium. But does anyone know what their hotel supply is like? Do they really have enough hotel rooms to handle a Super Bowl? IIRC, Jacksonville had to dock a bunch of ocean liners on their shore to provide sufficient lodging capacity. I'm not seeing that working for Indy. ;-)

Our city has improved(and improving) our transit system,we have more entertainment venues, hotels, and are (or will be) on par with San Diego, Miami, San Fransisco, and L.A.

LMAO!!!

prejudice against our city

Gee, I wonder why one would not want to come here over some other possible cities.

It's always amusing to read the threads about Super Bowl bids. From the hopeful ones that think transit, new hotels and stadiums may help, to the derogatory ones like midtowner, that think our image is a hindrance...all make me chuckle. Only one thing matters. Money. It is a really simple concept. Hizzy is right. The big market owners have alienated the small market owners, and the punishment is witholding super bowls from them.

Even big market Jerry Jones was down for the count, until he was able to show that his new stadium could seat 100,000 fans paying ridiculous ticket prices. In other words, MONEY won out again. These owners do not care about all of the silly amenities forumers like (or in midtowner's case, dislike). They only care about the money. So, the REAL question here is, what is McNair going to promise these owners to get himself another Super Bowl? If it doesn't add up to money, then book your flights for Indy in 2012.

We now return to your regularly scheduled fantasy.

Well, if it's all about money, then good. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It makes it transparent. If it is such a freakin' honor to host the Super Bowl, then the best thing the NFL could do is put it up for open bid. Better that than having people believe it some some bestowed like some special gift, only on the most deserving.

Archived