Klein Cain High School At 10201 Spring Cypress Rd.

Chris

Name for Klein High School #5  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What should Klein ISD name High School #5

• Klein Pines
    • Klein Woods
    • Klein West
    • Klein Coves
    • Klein Ranch
    • Klein Lakes
    • Klein Vintage
    • Klein Cypress
    • Klein Willows
    • Klein Springs
    • Klein Farms
    • Klein Trails
    • Klein Kohrville
    • Let future Students named it
    • Klein Glen
    • Klein Klink
    • Don't Build it

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the idea of "let the incoming students decide the mascot!"

I got to vote for Cy Ranch's colors and mascot which ended up being The Mustangs, when the losing option of "Wolverines" sounded so much more bada$$

Do you think the administrators actually pay any attention to what's in the ballot box?

I hate the idea of "let the incoming students decide the mascot!"

I got to vote for Cy Ranch's colors and mascot which ended up being The Mustangs, when the losing option of "Wolverines" sounded so much more bada$$

I'm part of the class that picked the Aragon Wildcats with purple and white. I'm not sure who the hell loved K State so much. Wow, didn't realize that you're younger than me.

Edited by curbur

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

High School #5 will be named at the Aug. 8 Board meeting.

For those of you riding the recent rumor train of Cain Memorial High School, it was mentioned that there is a bylaw which makes the name Klein mandatory for all high schools.  I have no idea if that is correct or not.  Either way, we will find out soon.

Klein representative, "It is too early to assume children will be allowed to decide mascot and colors for the new Klein Cain High School.  Once appointed, the new principal will make that decision."

Principal = Nicole Patin

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there are small student focus groups at all schools filtering into Cain. These groups were shown three colors and three mascots for their opinions. Students will not pick color and mascot, but these small focus groups may help influence the final choice.

Update: @vsbcade was partially correct.

Three options for mascot and colors.  These were presented to all future Cain freshman at the appropriate intermediate schools. The kids were allowed to vote. A heavy write-in vote for Gorillas was also occurring it seems.

Mascot choices:

Hurricanes

Wildcats

Mavericks

Color choices:

Crimson/Yellow/White (Washington Redskins)

Purple/Silver/Black/White (Baltimore Ravens)

Navy/Orange/White (Denver Broncos)

On September 1, 2016 at 7:14 PM, slash said:

Update: @vsbcade was partially correct.

Three options for mascot and colors.  These were presented to all future Cain freshman at the appropriate intermediate schools. The kids were allowed to vote. A heavy write-in vote for Gorillas was also occurring it seems.

Mascot choices:

Hurricanes

Wildcats

Mavericks

Color choices:

Crimson/Yellow/White (Washington Redskins)

Purple/Silver/Black/White (Baltimore Ravens)

Navy/Orange/White (Denver Broncos)

Just when you think the future generation is a lost cause...THEY TOTALLY REDEEM THEMSELVES.

#KliensOutForHarambe

• 2 weeks later...

Ignoring any meme magic, why can't people pick actually interesting mascot names? Seems like there's a limited number of "stock mascot names" with the only unusual ones occurring in small Texas towns (Kangaroos, Hornets, Unicorns, Sand Crabs, etc.)

Is it just a matter of "We can't get a mascot costume for it"?

Edited by IronTiger

8 hours ago, IronTiger said:

Ignoring any meme magic, why can't people pick actually interesting mascot names? Seems like there's a limited number of "stock mascot names" with the only unusual ones occurring in small Texas towns (Kangaroos, Hornets, Unicorns, Sand Crabs, etc.)

Is it just a matter of "We can't get a mascot costume for it"?

What was explained to me by several administrators during the construction of new high schools for Tomball and Cy-Fair was the "cost-to-create and maintain."  In their research, they found it easier to consistently reproduce basic colors and basic mascots over time (uniforms, paint, logos, letterhead, etc).  Also, one individual involved in the Tomball Memorial development called these generic choices the "fear of lawsuits from the politically correct."

Honestly, you can point your finger in any direction as to why.  I don't think many of the kids knew they were going to be given an opportunity to vote.  I truly believe if the kids in all these intermediate schools knew, they could have started a bigger movement for the Gorillas (#harambe) and that would have been awesome.

1 hour ago, slash said:

What was explained to me by several administrators during the construction of new high schools for Tomball and Cy-Fair was the "cost-to-create and maintain."  In their research, they found it easier to consistently reproduce basic colors and basic mascots over time (uniforms, paint, logos, letterhead, etc).  Also, one individual involved in the Tomball Memorial development called these generic choices the "fear of lawsuits from the politically correct."

Honestly, you can point your finger in any direction as to why.  I don't think many of the kids knew they were going to be given an opportunity to vote.  I truly believe if the kids in all these intermediate schools knew, they could have started a bigger movement for the Gorillas (#harambe) and that would have been awesome.

The only teams that would have anything to fear would be terms related to ethnic groups or slurs (Cotton Pickers, Arabs, Coons, Redskins, etc.)

Animals won't have that problem unless we get to a point where certain types of people are saying "Your 'Wally the Wolf' mascot is offensive to me and my fellow wolfkin, please change it or we sue," and at that point, then we've got bigger problems.

I'm not saying they should pick something as wacky as possible to screw with the "mascot establishment" ("Fight! Bite! Don't play nice! [something] High School Pubic Lice!") but all of the "stock" choices just seem so overused.

2 hours ago, IronTiger said:

The only teams that would have anything to fear would be terms related to ethnic groups or slurs (Cotton Pickers, Arabs, Coons, Redskins, etc.)

Animals won't have that problem unless we get to a point where certain types of people are saying "Your 'Wally the Wolf' mascot is offensive to me and my fellow wolfkin, please change it or we sue," and at that point, then we've got bigger problems.

I'm not saying they should pick something as wacky as possible to screw with the "mascot establishment" ("Fight! Bite! Don't play nice! [something] High School Pubic Lice!") but all of the "stock" choices just seem so overused.

I agree.  Where's a good minor league baseball mascot when you need one?

This is why I would like for them to pick Hurricanes with Purple.  It's the most non-stock out of the choices.  But then you have to deal with the Cain Canes and the dance squad being the Cain Candy Canes.  Unless the mascot is a giant purple Candy Cane carrying a Big Ass Fan to provide gale force winds...then we're talking!!!

Fun fact: many years before my time, my junior high school's mascot name was the Kittens, and not just the cheerleaders, the football team!

http://hold.cstx.gov/ProjectHOLD/DocView.aspx?id=463382&searchid=a7e7dcb3-21e3-47e3-89f1-cabd22d26ef2&dbid=0

Yeah, I know it's not a high school mascot per se, but no one would be caught dead with these sorts of names today.

9 hours ago, IronTiger said:

Fun fact: many years before my time, my junior high school's mascot name was the Kittens, and not just the cheerleaders, the football team!

http://hold.cstx.gov/ProjectHOLD/DocView.aspx?id=463382&searchid=a7e7dcb3-21e3-47e3-89f1-cabd22d26ef2&dbid=0

Yeah, I know it's not a high school mascot per se, but no one would be caught dead with these sorts of names today.

I love the roster and pictures, thanks for sharing.  The weight of the boys is interesting and the Yell Leaders is classic. 

The interesting thing is that the "Kittens" were not the only literal "junior" high school mascot (the actual high school's team was the Tigers, and ultimately the Kittens became the less-laughable "Cubs"), the newspaper also references "Bullpups" (Bulldogs). If we are going to use "stock mascot names", then the junior high school team should reflect that. If KISD's new high school picks Hurricanes, then the middle school team will be the Tropical Depressions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2016 at 0:27 PM, slash said:

I agree.  Where's a good minor league baseball mascot when you need one?

This is why I would like for them to pick Hurricanes with Purple.  It's the most non-stock out of the choices.  But then you have to deal with the Cain Canes and the dance squad being the Cain Candy Canes.  Unless the mascot is a giant purple Candy Cane carrying a Big Ass Fan to provide gale force winds...then we're talking!!!

No, it can't be the Hurricanes. We have so many badass, inoffensive animals on this planet and the big wigs at Klien can't think of anything more creative than weather? What is this, an Arena Football League? The CFL? 

I mean, it'd be so easy to talk shit to them; "Ohhhh hey here come the Hurricanes, ready to blow us away" etc. 

In short, weather mascots are THE WORST.

1 hour ago, BigFootsSocks said:

No, it can't be the Hurricanes. We have so many badass, inoffensive animals on this planet and the big wigs at Klien can't think of anything more creative than weather? What is this, an Arena Football League? The CFL? 

I mean, it'd be so easy to talk shit to them; "Ohhhh hey here come the Hurricanes, ready to blow us away" etc. 

In short, weather mascots are THE WORST.

The Hurricanes and Tornadoes are also going to be stock mascot choices too, in addition to animals. Earthquakes would be slightly unusual (the Houston Dynamo soccer team was a spin-off from the San Jose Quakes). But who says it has to be either? I mean, the Astros are neither animals or weather, and they basically lent their name to a certain type of artificial turf. You could play mad libs with anything you want with nouns (the Klein Radios) or have some sort of lame pun on the city/school names. (The Katy Trains, the Cypress Trees). It just has to be awesome enough that you won't get laughed out of the field (the Pansies, the Semicolons, the Interiors, the Dresses, the Napkins, all of which I used a noun generator for)

• Like 1