Memories Of Magnolia Park

Fez1964

I'd like to see more street food vendors. The food is cheap, quick, and usually pretty good.

I agree. Chicago doesn't have street food vendors because the health department doesn't allow it. There's a new modified UPS truck called Oh My Pocket Pies that is going to be operating in the Kim Hung Market parking lot on East End for lunchtime and in the Heights in the evenings. http://www.ohmypocketpies.com/ I'm really excited to try Beef Wellington pocket pies. They had a soft opening Saturday.

I'd like to see more street food vendors. The food is cheap, quick, and usually pretty good.

That is where Austin excels over Houston... I thought all we were allowed were a bunch of illegal taco trucks. But according to some, it is apparently legal to have street food vendors in this city... who routinely get clean water from a taco truck commissary every 24 hrs...

That is where Austin excels over Houston... I thought all we were allowed were a bunch of illegal taco trucks. But according to some, it is apparently legal to have street food vendors in this city... who routinely get clean water from a taco truck commissary every 24 hrs...

tt3%20%282%29-thumb-500x375.jpg

The Houston Health Department requires that every taco truck must visit a commissary to dump waste, refill the tanks with potable water and sanitize the kitchen every 24 hours. Each truck has to carry receipts for these daily services and display a current Health Department inspection sticker.

http://blogs.houston..._commissary.php

Edited by kylejack

Redscare

I wonder if I'm the only person that (sic) wonder what "saling" is.

REDSCARE

I am also wondering what does this discussion on street peddlers laughing all the way down the money trail to Mexico have to do with celebrating the history of Magnolia Park?

Edited by Fez1964

Austin has street food vendors. I used to get breakfast tacos from a Korean guy in Austin every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. Of course, his cart resembled something more akin to a hotdog street vendor than a taco truck, but still.

Besides, if these street vendors weren't allowed, they'd find some way to peddle their goods anyhow. Think of the tamale guy who prowls the bars and pubs of Montrose every evening. I doubt he's got a Health Department inspection sticker.

I am also wondering what does this discussion on street peddlers laughing all the way down the money trail to Mexico have to do with celebrating the history of Magnolia Park?

Maybe he got some bad tamales, and had to miss the parade?

!c

• 2 months later...

A Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker has been approved for the Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station building addressed at 7301 Avenue F, zip code 77011. Look for the historical marker to be dedicated sometime in mid-2010. Thanks goes out to the Special Recreation Services and the Magnolia Park Historical Preservation Association for making this possibles. Here is how the marker inscription will read:

THE CITY OF MAGNOLIA PARK WAS INCORPORATED ON JULY 1, 1913, ON PROPERTY FIRST DEVELOPED BY JOHN THOMAS BRADY IN 1890 AS A LARGE EXCURSION PARK. FOR THE MUNICIPALITY’S FIRST TEN YEARS, CITY OFFICES WERE LOCATED IN VARIOUS TEMPORARY FACILITIES, ALL SITUATED ALONG HARRISBURG BOULEVARD.

BY THE EARLY 1920s, OFFICIALS DECIDED TO CONSOLIDATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES FOR THE MAYOR AND CITY ALDERMEN WITH THE CENTRAL FIRE STATION IN A SINGLE BUILDING AT THE SITE OF THE CITY’S ORIGINAL FIRE STATION, WHICH WAS RAZED TO MAKE WAY FOR THE NEW STRUCTURE. DESIGNED BY THE HOUSTON ARCHITECTURAL FIRM OF McLELLAND & FINK AND CONSTRUCTED BY MAGNOLIA PARK CONTRACTOR CHARLEY DAHL, THE COMBINED CITY HALL AND FIRE STATION WAS DEDICATED ON JULY 1, 1923, THE TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF MAGNOLIA PARK’S INCORPORATION.

ON OCTOBER 16, 1926, THE CITY OF HOUSTON ANNEXED THE CITY OF MAGNOLIA PARK. THIS FACILITY THEN SERVED THE HOUSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT AS FIRE STATION NO. 20 AND AS A REGIONAL BATTALION HEADQUARTERS. A HOUSTON POLICE DEPARTMENT SUBSTATION WAS ALSO LOCATED HERE. EVENTUALLY, THE HOUSTON POLICE DEPARTMENT VACATED THE BUILDING AND FIRE STATION NO. 20 WAS RELOCATED IN 1973. THE BUILDING HAS ALSO SERVED AS A HARRIS COUNTY PRECINCT VOTING LOCATION.

THE TWO-STORY DARK RED BRICK AND CAST STONE BUILDING IS DIVIDED BY VERTICAL PIERS INTO SECTIONS, WITH AN ENTRANCE DOOR LEADING TO A STAIRWAY TO SECOND FLOOR OFFICES ON THE WEST, AND THE FIRE STATION AND SUBSEQUENT ADDITIONS TO THE EAST. LATER RENOVATIONS INCLUDED A BRICK CALABOOSE APPENDED TO THE BUILDING’S EAST SIDE. THE PARAPET OVER THE ENTRY CONTAINS A SCALLOPED PEDIMENT FRAMING A CAST STONE PANEL INSCRIBED “CITY HALL.”

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...
16 hours ago, Darren White said:

Looking for any information on what happened to the Magnolia Park Assembly of God Church on Harrisburg

Don't know if this helps, but --

Christian Temple Assembly of God
The merging of Oak-Lawn Assembly of God and Magnolia Park Assembly of God formed this church in 1976. Don and Susan Nordin are pastors of the church located at 9701 Almeda Genoa Road.

(http://www.southbeltleader.com/churches.html)

• The title was changed to 100-Years Of Magnolia Park
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Magnolia Park