Party 104.9 Moves To 93.3

ProHouston

I heard a new spanish station on 104.9 yesterday and got real nervous. However, after a little work on the internet I found out that Party 104.9 moved to 93.3 on your local dial. Does anyone know why they moved frequencies? This always seems like a bad idea.

I heard a new spanish station on 104.9 yesterday and got real nervous. However, after a little work on the internet I found out that Party 104.9 moved to 93.3 on your local dial. Does anyone know why they moved frequencies? This always seems like a bad idea.

Same reaction I had yesterday. I tuned in yesterday to see what they were saying about Pimp C and heard spanish. At that point I thought Pimp C is gone and now they have gotten rid of Party 104.9 for Mexican music. Then I checked this morning and it changed to 93.3, at that point I felt better. But there is still bad news with this move, I here Mean Green and some other people have left the station and also the signal isn't good on the west side. Hopefully that can be fixed and Mean Green comes back.

Get used to it boys. Can you say "Reconquista"?

Get use to it? I refuse. And I have noticed lately that a lot of stations that went Mexican in the past few years have been changing back to American English language stations. Just last week in Bryan/College Station we lost a Mexican station and gained a Hip-hop & R&B station, 101.9 the beat.

Get use to it? I refuse. And I have noticed lately that a lot of stations that went Mexican in the past few years have been changing back to American English language stations. Just last week in Bryan/College Station we lost a Mexican station and gained a Hip-hop & R&B station, 101.9 the beat.

how many hispanics actually listen to that stuff? maybe the ones emigrated from rural mexico but i'd say for the most part, most of them listen to contemporary music...albeit some of it en espanol.

how many hispanics actually listen to that stuff? maybe the ones emigrated from rural mexico but i'd say for the most part, most of them listen to contemporary music...albeit some of it en espanol.

I have a co-worker (a Hispanic American) who HATES traditional Mexican music. She thinks it's 'ghetto'.

Who knew?

I have a co-worker (a Hispanic American) who HATES traditional Mexican music. She thinks it's 'ghetto'.

Who knew?

Traditional Mexican music sounds like Polka to me. So does traditional French, traditional Austrian, Hungarian, etc...

I guess anything with a squeezebox will always sound like a Polka to me.

Who knew?

A lot of the Mexican Americans that I know try to distance themselfs from that type of music and pretty much that whole Mexican Cultural style. And I have noticed that even the Mexicans who are from Mexico and may not know English, are trying to dress more American. I have noticed them wearing a lot of American Eagle, Aropostale, Abrecombie, and urban clothing.

Traditional Mexican music sounds like Polka to me. So does traditional French, traditional Austrian, Hungarian, etc...I guess anything with a squeezebox will always sound like a Polka to me.
Yeah, I kinda like some of the Banda and Grupera(o?). I also like a lot of the Bachata stuff, but that is from the Dominican Republic.
A lot of the Mexican Americans that I know try to distance themselfs from that type of music and pretty much that whole Mexican Cultural style. And I have noticed that even the Mexicans who are from Mexico and may not know English, are trying to dress more American. I have noticed them wearing a lot of American Eagle, Aropostale, Abrecombie, and urban clothing.
Well ... America is the great melting pot.

Which makes a lot of sense because what is now Texas was heavily settled by Germans and Czechs. It is interesting how music styles migrate through cultures. Traditional Scotch/Irish music sounds frighteningly like some Kentucky hillbilly music.

Problem solved: Get XM.

I say this and I only have one receiver in one car.. But still. I gave up on radio a loooooong time ago. Generally, the only time I listen is around Christmastime to Sunny 99.1 because they just play Christmas music and there aren't too many commercials. And NPR for the classical stuff.

I make LOTS of CDs to listen to also...

Which makes a lot of sense because what is now Texas was heavily settled by Germans and Czechs. It is interesting how music styles migrate through cultures. Traditional Scotch/Irish music sounds frighteningly like some Kentucky hillbilly music.

That's because they ARE Scottish. The moonshiners were Scottish immigrants who originally settled in Appalachia in western PA. When the new Republic instituted a liquor tax to help pay for the Revolution, it infuriated the Scottish immigrants, many of whom then moved south, where it was more sparsely settled, and therefore fewer "revenuers". They restarted their stills, and the rest, as they say....

The new 104.9 sounds more like a Spanish pop-vibe than a traditional Tejano station, so at least it seems to add some variety in music which doesn't hurt. The former 104.9 kept repeating throughout week to listen to 93.3 on Tuesday, and the first thing I thought was "the only reason why a radio station would keep telling listeners to listen to another radio station would be because they're switching to that station."

The worst change in Houston music to me though is still what happened to 101 KLOL. That wasn't even a switch; that was a shutdown

The new 104.9 sounds more like a Spanish pop-vibe than a traditional Tejano station, so at least it seems to add some variety in music which doesn't hurt. The former 104.9 kept repeating throughout week to listen to 93.3 on Tuesday, and the first thing I thought was "the only reason why a radio station would keep telling listeners to listen to another radio station would be because they're switching to that station."

The worst change in Houston music to me though is still what happened to 101 KLOL. That wasn't even a switch; that was a shutdown

Yeah, it was kinda like an ambush.

Problem solved: Get XM.

I say this and I only have one receiver in one car.. But still. I gave up on radio a loooooong time ago. Generally, the only time I listen is around Christmastime to Sunny 99.1 because they just play Christmas music and there aren't too many commercials. And NPR for the classical stuff.

I make LOTS of CDs to listen to also...

I just got XM on Monday for my car, there's no turning back to terrestial radio for me! Full unedited songs, CD quality sound, no ads, what more can you ask? The station I used to listen to the most when I wasn't listening to CDs was KROI, Praise 92.1FM, but they would never play the old school traditional gospel, always the new, cookie cutter sounding stuff. I find on XM they play the classics pretty regularly, and I've heard some songs on other XM stations I hadn't heard in years. Great stuff!

When did the new urban (or rhythmic) station launch out in Bryan/College Station? And is it more or less like what Power 94/V103 Jamz used to be as far as variety in the playlist?

When did the new urban (or rhythmic) station launch out in Bryan/College Station? And is it more or less like what Power 94/V103 Jamz used to be as far as variety in the playlist?

It just launched, I think last Thursday. Since they just started they don't have any DJs yet and they play music constantly with very few commercials and they keep repeating something like "you are tuned in to Aggie Lands party station, the all new 101.9 the Beat" ....."tell your friends"....."RSVP now!" What ever that is supposed to mean. Once they get settled in, I heard that we will have the Russ Parr Morning show, and they haven't announced the rest yet. They have been playing Hip-hop and R&B and a little bit of dance music. They play a little bit of old and new hip-hop and r&b. Hopefully its becomes better than Power 94 and V103. I don't know if they will still play gospel music on Sundays like V103. But it gives us a station for our music and now I won't have to listen to KNDE Candy95 as much or a staticy 97.9 the box, which mixes with 97.9 the beat from Dallas in or area.

Not sure. But, I do know that most radio (stations) repeat songs way too much for my tastes.
I have my iPod rollin when I'm driving. I listen to Sports radio a lot and occasionally tune into 97.9.

Satellite radio changed my life. After KLOL was killed I went out and bought Sirius. I haven't listened to local radio since. It's commercial free, has channels dedicated to the kinds of music I love, and plays stuff you would never hear on terrestrial radio.

Before I got Sirius, the only radio that excited me was Little Steven's weekly "Underground Garage" program. On Sirius, that isn't a once a week treat, it's on 24/7.

Before I got Sirius, the only radio that excited me was Little Steven's weekly "Underground Garage" program. On Sirius, that isn't a once a week treat, it's on 24/7.

totally. Underground Garage is making it a little bigger; last time I was at the big Best Buy on Richmond and the loop, there was an endcap display devoted to 'garage' bands featured on the show. Good on Steven.

Also DaTrain here is a link to there myspace page. And on it you can here there intro ads or what ever they are called:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=287983849

l_2653cee3fc1ec2a8e9482182e13da7d1.jpg

Satellite radio changed my life. After KLOL was killed I went out and bought Sirius. I haven't listened to local radio since. It's commercial free, has channels dedicated to the kinds of music I love, and plays stuff you would never hear on terrestrial radio.

If you don't have satellite radio, a good alternative for variety are stations that webcast. You can use this site to locate webcasts worldwide, or save yourself some searching and go here.

That's because they ARE Scottish. The moonshiners were Scottish immigrants who originally settled in Appalachia in western PA. When the new Republic instituted a liquor tax to help pay for the Revolution, it infuriated the Scottish immigrants, many of whom then moved south, where it was more sparsely settled, and therefore fewer "revenuers". They restarted their stills, and the rest, as they say....

If you ever watch Univision and Sabado Gigante, Don Francisco often has many of those Grupera, Banda and other bands on. Some of them are actually kinda nice ...

that is if you like listening to music that has a kinda polka-circus feel to it.

Same reaction I had yesterday. I tuned in yesterday to see what they were saying about Pimp C and heard spanish. At that point I thought Pimp C is gone and now they have gotten rid of Party 104.9 for Mexican music. Then I checked this morning and it changed to 93.3, at that point I felt better. But there is still bad news with this move, I here Mean Green and some other people have left the station and also the signal isn't good on the west side. Hopefully that can be fixed and Mean Green comes back.

More bad news: 93.3 is a rimshot out of Port Arthur where it is licensed to, so there is a good chance the signal fringes out on the western half of Greater Houston.

Signal coverage map off radio-locator.com for 93.3:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c...s=L&hours=U

compared to 104.9 where Party used to be which covered Houston a lot better even on lower power wattage:

that and the former simulcast on 105.3 out of Galveston:

Not too sure if Party 93.3 will have the same success as Party 104.9 did. Remember what happened to Power 97.5?

If you don't have satellite radio, a good alternative for variety are stations that webcast. You can use this site to locate webcasts worldwide, or save yourself some searching and go here.

As an Urban radio listener, this weblink is devoted to major Urban AC r&b stations that carry webcasts and have expanded playlists. Not a single station on those links is owned by Cheap Channel, CBS Radio (formerly Infinity) or Radio One. I use this to listen to R&B stations like WHUR in Washington DC, KBLX in San Francisco Bay Area (my hometown) or WBLS in New York whenever I don't feel like listening to Houston's own Majic 102.1. Speaking of the city, we still need another R&B station real bad; I know of radio markets larger than Houston that have at least two R&B stations.

Archived