Harris County Civil Courthouse At 201 Caroline St.

Subdude

On one of the familiarization tours one of the judges went on and on and on and on about how this building would be called a "courthouse" and not "courts building," and how it needed to "look like a courthouse."  

In a sense, it does - if the courthouse in question somehow got mashed up with the Devil's Tower formation legend, with a dome thrown on as an otherwise useless tiara.

Thanks for the new topic.

The rich blue glass clashing with the brown and beige. Very turn of the last century. Looks like every ticky tacky building on the beltway west of I-45 and east of 249. The arches above the windows are probably the icing on the cake, Of course the industrial grey dome... I imagine it generates a ton of heat with the sun beating on it continuously. 

This project was a great realization for me. The original renderings and how it turned out echoes with Embassy Suites. It was supposed to be a higher design from the County Courthouse building, but I prefer it to this.

I feel depressed whenever I see this building from the outside.  I don't recall the cost, but I'm sure the money could've been spent better.  I do agree that it is functional on the inside, while being just bland, rather than embarrassing as it is from the outside.

Trying (desperately) to look on the bright side ... perhaps it will wind up being viewed in the future somewhat like the Shamrock Hilton was in its later days:  ugly, but an interesting historical reminder of an earlier era ...

Houston and Dallas has some of the ugliest city buildings on the planet. This isnt that bad.

We could have gotten this :http://www.dallascourts.com/photos/allen.jpg

Or this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RC_Xscv967E/TcgN1rw7QbI/AAAAAAAAGLQ/fM1xWZbL7-s/s1600/dallas%2Bcity%2Bhall.jpg

I actually like Dallas' City Hall. I have a soft spot for brutalist buildings.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a soft spot for Brutalism too, but that is just straight up ugly....

Yeahhhhhhh I always want to kid myself with this building, but in the end I just facepalm whenever I pass it. Post-Modern trite at its worst where the architect and the client have no clue what they are doing, but because of relativism!!!! they decide to put whatever they want on it even that silly dome on it. What is this...an observatory? You see metal domes like that on strip malls. I'm sure in 10-20 years we will finally have enough and just give it a good wack and put something sane in its place.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to 1201 Caroline St. At Dallas St.
  • The title was changed to Harris County Civil Courthouse At 201 Caroline St.