Fertitta Entertainment/Landry's

Landry's board accepts Tilman's lowball offer:

Shares of Landry’s Restaurant Inc. jumped sharply Monday on the news that the board of directors has, as expected, approved a drastically lower bid for the company’s outstanding shares from President and Chief Executive Officer Tilman Fertitta.

Fertitta has dropped his bid to $13.50, a premium of 49 percent over the closing price on Oct. 17. In early trading Monday, shares of Houston-based Landry’s (NYSE: LNY) soared more than 25 percent, gaining $2.42 to trade at $11.45.

Fertitta informed the board earlier this month that his earlier bid of $21 a share was off the table considering the continued downturn in the restaurant and gaming sectors due to the economic crisis. The company’s properties in Galveston and Kemah were severely damaged due to Hurricane Ike and some will not re-open until 2009.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&ana=e_du

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I jumped to the bottom without reading because I am in a hurry and want to get this out. Frititta is trying to buy Landry's for $13 something a share. The company is considering it, while still pursuing higher offers. I hope to GOD that someone outbids him. I wouldn't spit on Fritatta if he was on FIRE. He is a scum bucket.

I jumped to the bottom without reading because I am in a hurry and want to get this out. Frititta is trying to buy Landry's for $13 something a share. The company is considering it, while still pursuing higher offers. I hope to GOD that someone outbids him. I wouldn't spit on Fritatta if he was on FIRE. He is a scum bucket.

He is running the company and now buying the company? Doesn't this sound fishy? What if he was running this biz to the ground and now getting the stock for cheap. Anyways, i always thought he owned the restaurant/company. Guess i was wrong.

He doesn't know how to DO quality. He outright LIED about the condition of the fish (freshwater) in the tank at the Aquarium at Landry's. The only survivor was a turtle who crawled in a file cabinet drawer. He likes to dress everything up pretty, and then cut food costs with mediocre quality food to start with, cooked by line cooks instead of chefs. I hope he goes under. Quickly. Drowns.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 Companies That Might Not Survive 2009

Rick Newman

Friday February 6, 2009, 11:53 am EST

Yahoo! Buzz Print Who's next?

Six Flags. (SIX; about 30,000 employees; stock down 84%). This theme-park operator has been losing money for several years, and selling off properties to try to pay down debt and get back into the black. But the ride may end prematurely. Moody's expects cash flow to be negative in 2009, and if consumers aren't spending during the peak summer season, that could imperil the company's ability to pay debts coming due later this year and in 2010.

Blockbuster. (BBI; about 60,000 employees; stock down 57%). The video-rental chain has burned cash while trying to figure out how to maximize fees without alienating customers. Its operating income has started to improve just as consumers are cutting back, even on movies. Video stores in general are under pressure as they compete with cable and Internet operators offering the same titles. A key test of Blockbuster's viability will come when two credit lines expire in August. One possible outcome, according to Valueline, is that investors take the company private and then go public again when market conditions are better.

Krispy Kreme. (KKD; about 4,000 employees; stock down 50%). The donuts might be good, but Krispy Kreme overestimated Americans' appetite - and that's saying something. This chain overexpanded during the donut heyday of the 1990s - taking on a lot of debt - and now requires high volumes to meet expenses and interest payments. The company has cut costs and closed underperforming stores, but still hasn't earned an operating profit in three years. And now that consumers are cutting back on everything, such improvements may fail to offset top-line declines, leading Krispy Kreme to seek some kind of relief from lenders over the next year.

Landry's Restaurants. (LNY; about 17,000 employees; stock down 66%). This restaurant chain, which operates Chart House, Rainforest Caf

Perhaps someone other than Fertitta will keep the restaurants open, with improved quality. Saltgrass was a favorite place to get dead cow before Landry's applied the cone of mediocrity. Landry's was a great restaurant pre Fertitta. The concepts are generally OK, but the execution is lacking. The only reason I eat at one of Landry's not so fine establishments is because my 6 year old insists on going to the Aquarium, or my parents take us out and pick Saltgrass.

Whoever buy SiriusXM's shares is a moron. Most of their subscription is thru sale of new cars, and so far I've not seen anoyne who renewed after the introductory period. What do I need satellite radio for when the car comes with 6 CD player, local radio, I have an ipod and a laptop, and I don't live in the car.

Whoever buy SiriusXM's shares is a moron. Most of their subscription is thru sale of new cars, and so far I've not seen anoyne who renewed after the introductory period. What do I need satellite radio for when the car comes with 6 CD player, local radio, I have an ipod and a laptop, and I don't live in the car.

Quite a few people re-up. Problem is their costs are out of control. Launching satellites is spendy.

I have had XM radio for 7 or 8 years and it didn't come with either of the cars I have had in that time period. I paid 10.99 a month initially, but got my dad on my plan and I paid 6.99 a month for the second radio, eventually he took over the payments. :rolleyes: . Rate has never changed I guess we are grandfathered in as I understand they have gone up. I really enjoy it on road trips, but I miss some of the channels that I lost in the merger.

I have had XM radio for 7 or 8 years and it didn't come with either of the cars I have had in that time period. I paid 10.99 a month initially, but got my dad on my plan and I paid 6.99 a month for the second radio, eventually he took over the payments. :rolleyes: . Rate has never changed I guess we are grandfathered in as I understand they have gone up. I really enjoy it on road trips, but I miss some of the channels that I lost in the merger.

Sirius/XM tried to eliminate repetitive radio formats but ended up gutting some stations that were independently loved by their subscribers (Backspin, the Hip-Hop oldies station, comes to mind) and so after numerous complaints, they've brought back some of those channels they eliminated right after the merger.

The main problem, however, as was mentioned earlier, is that their costs are still out of control. I believe they charge $30 / month or so for a subscription but the satellite licenses/operations and such are expensive.

Sirius/XM tried to eliminate repetitive radio formats but ended up gutting some stations that were independently loved by their subscribers (Backspin, the Hip-Hop oldies station, comes to mind) and so after numerous complaints, they've brought back some of those channels they eliminated right after the merger.

The main problem, however, as was mentioned earlier, is that their costs are still out of control. I believe they charge $30 / month or so for a subscription but the satellite licenses/operations and such are expensive.

No No, the subscriptions start at 9.99 a month with the most popular plan at 12.95 a month. Only since the merger have they introduced a plan that is the highest ever 16.99 a month, for every thing on XM and the best of sirius

Why the hate for Landry's. Its the typical self loathing Houston mentality. That's why out of town businesses come here and take over from local businesses. I wish Houston kept and grew Randall's, Oshman's, Foley's, etc. I for one am hoping Landry's can keep its act together. Houston needs more companies that do business outside of Houston and bring profits home.

Why the hate for Landry's. Its the typical self loathing Houston mentality. That's why out of town businesses come here and take over from local businesses. I wish Houston kept and grew Randall's, Oshman's, Foley's, etc. I for one am hoping Landry's can keep its act together. Houston needs more companies that do business outside of Houston and bring profits home.

You are so far off the mark, you are not even in the same county. Most everyone that expresses disdain for this company has very specific and personal reasons. Some have specific information that led to the opinion of the owner and the company. I will not go into my reasons on this forum, other than to reaffirm that you have no idea what you are talking about.

BTW, if you look around at my posts, you know that I am a Houston homer, not the self-loather that you attempt to paint me.

You are so far off the mark, you are not even in the same county. Most everyone that expresses disdain for this company has very specific and personal reasons. Some have specific information that led to the opinion of the owner and the company. I will not go into my reasons on this forum, other than to reaffirm that you have no idea what you are talking about.

BTW, if you look around at my posts, you know that I am a Houston homer, not the self-loather that you attempt to paint me.

Wow, why so defensive? And did I single you out when you didn't even respond to the OP?

Did you ever go to Kemah before Landry's bought and ruined it?

Did you ever go to Kemah before Landry's bought and ruined it?

Heck ya, loved going to the Brass Parrot, it was my group of friends "secret" hang out, but please don't tell me that you consider the boardwalk a failure? That place is great, in fact, I wish Landrys would expand it. If you think its ruined now, then that's just evidence of self loathing. Note to all you high and mighty, just because its popular doesn't make it bad.

Archived