Fertitta Entertainment/Landry's

please don't tell me that you consider the boardwalk a failure? That place is great, in fact, I wish Landrys would expand it.

I have to agree. The Aquarium downtown, the Kemah boardwalk are two examples where Landry's brought revenue to an area that had none or little before.

I can't imagine the City of Kemah complaining about the increase number of local jobs and increased number of tourist dollars spent - as well as something more for the locals to do. As for the Aquarium downtown, that area was struggling before so I can't see how the Aquarium hurt the area any.

I think we need to save the loathing for independent restaurants that Landry's bought out and lowered the bar on.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because people publicly express their dislike for a chain of food establishments or their proprietor does not equal self-loathing or autophobia :rolleyes:

As for the critique of the entire Kemah boardwalk, I have no clue since it's been ages since I've been there.

Heck ya, loved going to the Brass Parrot, it was my group of friends "secret" hang out, but please don't tell me that you consider the boardwalk a failure? That place is great, in fact, I wish Landrys would expand it. If you think its ruined now, then that's just evidence of self loathing. Note to all you high and mighty, just because its popular doesn't make it bad.

You are correct. Popularity doesn't make it bad. Serving overpriced frozen fish instead of cheap fresh fish is what makes it bad. I didn't say Kemah was a failure, I said Landry's ruined it. Why should I like Landry's for taking something good and making it bad, even if they make a lot of money in the process?

You are correct. Popularity doesn't make it bad. Serving overpriced frozen fish instead of cheap fresh fish is what makes it bad. I didn't say Kemah was a failure, I said Landry's ruined it. Why should I like Landry's for taking something good and making it bad, even if they make a lot of money in the process?

Your opinion not withstanding...

Others are saying it is not worse. I tend to believe they did not get to experiance the restraunts that were there before. They were cheaper and better as I remember them. But, that was a different time and you know how we tend to wax nostalgic about the past and memories do tend to fade. There are still places to go to find the good seafood there on the other side of the bridge or down the road in San Leon.

If the masses knew of all the good places, they would not be the same anymore.

Of course it is all subjective.

Some of those companies need to go under due to the arrogance of their management and board of directors. I cannot speak to the Landry's issue, but some of these seem to have made an awful lot of very bad management choices.

Sirius and their multi-billion dollar payouts to radio TALENT is one of them. Maybe the government can take over their satellite systems and use it for something more useful than 800 channels of radio.

Others are saying it is not worse. I tend to believe they did not get to experiance the restraunts that were there before.

No, one other (texas911) says Landry's Kemah operation is "great" because it isn't a failure. I've eaten there and I don't care if it's a failure or not; I know it isn't great. It's frozen dinners. I can have that at home.

Others are saying it is not worse. I tend to believe they did not get to experiance the restraunts that were there before. They were cheaper and better as I remember them. But, that was a different time and you know how we tend to wax nostalgic about the past and memories do tend to fade. There are still places to go to find the good seafood there on the other side of the bridge or down the road in San Leon.

If the masses knew of all the good places, they would not be the same anymore.

Of course it is all subjective.

This is exactly correct. In much the same way that someone may like shiny new plastic over old brass with a patina, some prefer the gaudy new boardwalk over the restaurants and bars they replaced. But frankly, the boardwalk did not improve so much as replace. The boardwalk is now a nice place to take children in strollers, whereas before it was a great place to have a drink. And Landrys has done that with every concept it has bought. If critcizing a company for replacing authenticity with bland mass appeal is "self loathing", I suppose I could accuse those who actually like this stuff as "Stepford consumers".

But that would be mean, wouldn't it?

No, one other (texas911) says Landry's Kemah operation is "great" because it isn't a failure. I've eaten there and I don't care if it's a failure or not; I know it isn't great. It's frozen dinners. I can have that at home.

I agree with you about the quality of the food but it's a family oriented place and they are all the same whether it's Landrys, Applebees, Dead Lobster, etc.

I loved going to those places when I had kids but stay away from them now.

The Kemah Boardwalk is still a fun place to spend a day and I hope it stay's around.

A lot of family & friends in Louisiana made a lot of weekend trips to Galveston & the Boardwalk (with their kiddos). Atleast the food isn't as bad as Chili's! They buy their food from the same company as Sonic. Its fast food in a sit down setting. Always get sick after eating there.

Anyways, it's a shame their food sucks, and the company made bad choices. But it's a Houston company none the less.

And Randel's sucked. Way over priced, most of their layouts didn't make sense, although they did have a selection of certain items Kroger's didn't back in the day.

I agree with you about the quality of the food but it's a family oriented place and they are all the same whether it's Landrys, Applebees, Dead Lobster, etc.

I loved going to those places when I had kids but stay away from them now.

The Kemah Boardwalk is still a fun place to spend a day and I hope it stay's around.

My dad used to take me to Kemah when I was a kid. I wouldn't dream of taking my daughter there. Family place? Maybe if you hate your family.

Did you ever go to Kemah before Landry's bought and ruined it?

Yes, and it was always flooded. There was nothing more frustrating than having dinner at the Cleer Creek Inn, Jimmy Walkers or Key Largo, and then comming out to your car, only to find it hub cap deep in high tide. I personally think the boardwalk, and every thing Fertitta, Wiggins and King have done to Kemah is an improvement over what used to be there.

Six Flags will make it thru...I'm worried about Sirius though...They took over my XM and butchered my music. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

Yes, and it was always flooded. There was nothing more frustrating than having dinner at the Cleer Creek Inn, Jimmy Walkers or Key Largo, and then comming out to your car, only to find it hub cap deep in high tide. I personally think the boardwalk, and every thing Fertitta, Wiggins and King have done to Kemah is an improvement over what used to be there.

I agree, People keep bashing fertita...I think he has done a good job with kemah. I don't see why people hate the food/talk smack. I often go in the evening ride a few rides and eat. It's not bad PLUS the constant wind from the ocean makes you forget where you are.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Board OKs Landry’s buyout offer

The board of directors of Landry’s Restaurants Inc. has approved yet another offer from Tilman Fertitta to acquire the remainder of the company’s

shares in a $1.2 billion transaction.

Fertitta, Landry’s president and chief executive, has unsuccessfully tried in the past to buy out the shares he did not already own. Fertitta owns 55.1 percent of the company’s 16.1 million outstanding shares.

The latest offer of $14.75 a share represents a 37 percent premium over the closing price of $10.76 on Nov. 2, the day before Tuesday’s announcement of the transaction. News of the deal sent Landry’s shares higher in heavy volume, with the stock gaining $3 in early trading, up nearly 30 percent, to $13.76.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/11/02/daily16.html?ed=2009-11-03&ana=e_du_pub

• 2 weeks later...
Hedge fund to oppose Landry’s sale

An activist hedge fund has acquired a large stake in Landry’s Restaurants Inc. and is preparing to fight company chief executive Tilman Fertitta’s bid to take the dining and entertainment company private.

According to a regulatory filing, Pershing Square Capital Management LP, run by William Ackman, and several affiliates have acquired 1.6 million shares, equal to a hefty 10 percent stake in the company.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/11/09/daily46.html

• 2 weeks later...
Landry's shares continue to surge

Shares of Landry’s Restaurants Inc. reached another 52-week high Tuesday as speculation continues to swirl over a move by a New York hedge fund to buy a substantial position in the dining and gaming company.

In early trading Tuesday, Landry’s shares reached $22.19 before pulling back to close at $21.24, down 55 cents, or 2.5 percent, from the Nov. 23 close. The last time Landry’s shares traded above $22 was in late 2007.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/11/23/daily11.html

• 5 months later...
After a two-year-long sojurn to take Landry’s Restaurants Inc. private, Tilman Fertitta on Monday agreed to buy the remainder of shares he does not own in a deal valued at $1.4 billion.

Fertitta, chairman, chief executive officer and president of the Houston-based hospitality company, is purchasing the remaining shares at $24 apiece.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/05/24/daily1.html

• 4 months later...

And finally:

Landry’s Restaurants Inc. announced Wednesday that chief executive officer Tilman Fertitta had completed his bid to take the company private.

Houston-based Landry’s, which had traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “LNY,” will now be a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Fertitta Co., a holding company run by Fertitta.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/10/04/daily37.html

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Nov 8 (Reuters) - Landry's Inc is to buy McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants Inc for about $131.6 million, ending a long-running chase by Landry's CEO Tilman Fertitta to buyout the restaurant chain.

The offer of $8.75 a share is 29 percent higher than McCormick & Schmick's Monday closing price.

The deal sees Fertitta, the biggest shareholder in McCormick & Schmick's, snap up the seafood chain for a lower price than his $137.3 million offer in April, when he went hostile with his bid.

McCormick & Schmick's, which traces its roots to the 110 year old Jake's Famous Crawfish Restaurant in Portland, Oregon, is seen to be a good fit for Fertitta's seafood restaurant empire.

http://www.reuters.c...E7M82IM20111108

Archived